Replacement/Custom Handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CharlieB

Replacement/Custom Handles

Post by CharlieB »

Hello All, I am new to the forum and Spydercos in general. I recently purchased a Tenacious model and really like it. One thing I would like to do is switch out the handles to something more my liking. With that being said, is that possible and if so could someone make some recommendations as to the best place to find them?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

you could always try to make your own. it's not that hard, it just takes some patience. i made these with a scroll saw. a dewalt drilldriver, and a bastard file and sandpaper.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I just sent you a Private Message (PM) with a suggestion.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

sharpguitarist wrote:you could always try to make your own. it's not that hard, it just takes some patience. i made these with a scroll saw. a dewalt drilldriver, and a bastard file and sandpaper.
Those look really nice! Could I find out what exactly you used to form the recessed screw holes? Thinking of doing something like this with my Manix 2!
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

FYI KnifeKits.com sells stepped drill bits that you can use for most of the holes that require a counter-bore. They work great - one step and you get the screw hole and the counter-bore. If you really want to save time, I'd also recommend getting a Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander from Home Depot ($199) and high grit belts/spindles (McMaster-Carr usually has the best selection) - it works great for shaping the scales to the liners and contouring them.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

thanks!
jylong_away wrote: Could I find out what exactly you used to form the recessed screw holes? Thinking of doing something like this with my Manix 2!

if possible, the above recommendation from td would be the way to go, but i used what i had around, a brad point bit. the bottom of the recess isn't flat, but it serves the purpose. i used the original scale as a template.
the hardest part was relieving the area behind the locking side liner to allow clearance for the lock while closing.
and always think safety. depending on materials, dust control is high priority. some materials are better left to professionals ~ g-10, carbon fibre
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes: