Military vs. Chinook? for SD

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Military vs. Chinook? for SD

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

which one do you prefer? Mr. Janich, I'd appreciate your input.
druid

Post by druid »

Chinook I've had both along with a few others in the same size range and usage parameters. Although I think the nook is most specifically designed for these types of situations. In this particular case I trust it's back lock more than almost any other lock is oversized and very knife this specific. Barring a knife with an actual back edge in its belly curve point. Would be the most effective for a back sweeping penetration. I am much more of a armchair observer than actual self-defense ability. So you can take my perspective for just that.
why
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I don't know, but on Deadliest Warrior TV program last night (Mafia vs. Cowboy), I saw what a thrust from a 3 in. blade does to a ballistic gel and pig gut dummy, and it wasn't pretty!!!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Was that the Bowie vs. Stiletto episode? and stiletto wins? LOL.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Both are fine knives...I give to nod to the Chinook circa (Chinook I and II), this is a solid built knife for SD, great steel and strong strong point. I once was cutting some plastic ties and the knife broke through free kinda faster than I thought it would and hit a cement column...tip first, real hard...my first though was OMG there goes the tip....the tip was fine but the cement column was not...it took a large chip out of it...This Chinook is not only a good SD knife, but as a utility knife you couldn't ask for a stronger tool....I always carry one in my EDC group daily....I like it's back cutting abilities as well...That being said the Military is also a fine defensive tool....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

What about the 'nook 3 doc?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What about the 'nook 3 doc?
Three does not perform like One and Two...For me I don't like it....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

2cha

Post by 2cha »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Was that the Bowie vs. Stiletto episode? and stiletto wins? LOL.
Yes, I thought that was pretty silly too--I think that the producers had to give the mob guys something after their poor performance with the Thompsons. The Bowie was brutal!!! Especially when he threw it and 5" of blade entered the pig carcass!
markg

Post by markg »

I love the Chinook... My pick between the two.

Can we get some sprints of the Chinook? Maybe blue G-10?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Three does not perform like One and Two...For me I don't like it....Doc :D
I did not realize that there's a major difference between the 3 and it's predecessors. In what areas are there performance difference? or is it the 440v? thanks by the way doc.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

2cha wrote:Yes, I thought that was pretty silly too--I think that the producers had to give the mob guys something after their poor performance with the Thompsons. The Bowie was brutal!!! Especially when he threw it and 5" of blade entered the pig carcass!
Meh that show is a joke anyway, fun to watch they beat the crap out of stuff but their method/conclusion is quite often ridiculous.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Three does not perform like One and Two...For me I don't like it....Doc :D
Doc, was the C3 tested with stock edge? I found on mine even though it's FFG the edge is actually very thick, thin out th edge could improve performance quite a bit.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

jzmtl wrote:Doc, was the C3 tested with stock edge? I found on mine even though it's FFG the edge is actually very thick, thin out th edge could improve performance quite a bit.
I sharpen all my edges the same before testing...The Chinook III did not do half as wel in my meat tests as I and II. Funny thing was I did spect it to outperform the others because of the flat grind, but this just wasn't the case at all. I own and carry both I and II, but I passed on III....Doc :D

Chuck: I and II cut deeper and longer into the meat than did III. Chinook III did very poorly compared to I and II, not really doing any better than a PE Delica in the tests. Chinook I and II give results very close to Yojimbo performace.....Doc :)

jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I meant the thickness behind the edge, I don't have I or II but compare to a good hollow grind knife III could be easily 1.5x or 2x as thick.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

jzmtl wrote:I meant the thickness behind the edge, I don't have I or II but compare to a good hollow grind knife III could be easily 1.5x or 2x as thick.
ah....but overall blade thickness the II and II is much thicker, I don't have a III to compare the edges now...but you may have a point there...Maybe someone who has both II and III can take a look and compare edges....and chime in...Doc :D

Post by 224477 »

A Chinook based hard use knife with BBL would deserve its existence.

In general I avoid liner locks for SD, but the Military is closer to my heart, Chinook is a tank, thats true as well. But I would go with the Millie, as for dimensions and overal lines of the knife. Its a light knife that will allow you to combine fast slashes for areas not covered by clothess and due the blade shape and grind - easy stabs... I think the Millie would be faster to handle.

I just have issues with liner locks /this is not spyderco locks related, linerlocks in general/
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks doc, but that's something of a bummer since I just pulled the trigger on a 'nook 3 two days ago. I was thinking that the 3 was an evolution on the 1st and 2nd. So it probably won't displace the military in my RFP.

Post by 224477 »

I think you will be happy with the Chinook 3. You have to understand that the more people, the more personal preferences do exist. I would not describe the aquisition of a Ch-3 as a bad deal at all. The only thing that would bother 'me' is the weight and dimensions. Millie is a lightweight package for EDC.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

224477 wrote:I think you will be happy with the Chinook 3. You have to understand that the more people, the more personal preferences do exist. I would not describe the aquisition of a Ch-3 as a bad deal at all. The only thing that would bother 'me' is the weight and dimensions. Millie is a lightweight package for EDC.
I actually would be happy with any spydie that's not broke. :D . However, I specifically wanted that 'nook 3 for dedicated SD. Well, I guess I'll have to do my own practice cuts(banana trees, I tend to be hesitant with a pork man since a lot of people don't have enough to eat here. I will have to do it one day though for close simulation) with it and find out if it works for me. I just also appreciate the input from people who have experienced SD viewpoints. At the very least I'll have an awesome EDC. :cool: :D
graf_zero

Post by graf_zero »

Different knives act different on some materials.
I own a Chin I and I just couldn't slash trough hanging 1 inch competition rope, where it could be slashed even with large swiss army knife(and military as well).
It was because of curvature of Chinnok blade, which caused rope to bounce/slip.