Custom or fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Scottie3000

Custom or fake?

Post by Scottie3000 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Super-pret ... 6559659489

Ive never seen anything like this. Has N690 ever been used in a folder?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

C99 Volpe. It looks legit to me, but there have been some fake ones reported, and I'm not familiar enough with the model to say for certain.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think it's the Chinese fake - the wooden scales don't have screws in them and that was the problem with the other listed Volpe fake.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

After consulting Spidiewiki, The C99 Volpe was done in N690 steel with wood inlay handles. I guess I was just not familiar with that model. The fact that the seller has only 1 feedback does make it suspicious.
druid

Post by druid »

fake...............
why
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fake. The clip is wrong, but that could be a customization. However the relief cuts in the lockbar and frame directly behind the lockbar are missing. Compare the right side view of the knife in the auction listing with the genuine Volpe in the online catalog. No way to add metal, so it has to be bogus.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Fake, the Spyder logo on the handle is laser-etched instead of cut into the metal.

Post by 224477 »

Fake, incorrect grind too, and all above. Seller is from china.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

It's shocking how much effort these Chinese copycats put into producing a fake.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think it's odd which models they choose to fake and the simple mistakes they make. I mean, they fake UKPKs (a knife with a relatively limited market) quite convincingly but then forget to cut some clip-holes in the scale ... but they don't fake some of the best-sellers like the Delica or Manix?! :S I guess that's good but it does make you wonder how dumb they must be.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Here is a picture of my Volpe:

There are some small differences with the grind, plus the aforementioned bug cutout and lockbar relief cutouts.

I think one of the reasons why counterfeiters choose lesser known models is that they are not immediately available for comparison, especially if it is a discontinued model like the Volpe. And not that many people are familiar with them, so they won't be recognized as fake. ****, even our very own Yab got caught.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Some of those knock-offs would have fooled me too... :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Post by 224477 »

I reported this puppy yesterday to ebay. I think when we are sure here its a fake, its a right thing to do. Especially if its listed as a spyderco product. Sometimes you can find fakes and counterfeit to be listed as 'folding knife' or 'tactical knife' only.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

224477 wrote:I reported this puppy yesterday to ebay. I think when we are sure here its a fake, its a right thing to do. Especially if its listed as a spyderco product. Sometimes you can find fakes and counterfeit to be listed as 'folding knife' or 'tactical knife' only.
Doesn't hurt Jano, but my understanding is that eBay will only act on "IP infringement" issues if the owner of the trademark, copyright, or patent complains. In a way, that's only right, since in some sections of eBay, sellers have been know to file spurious complaints of all kinds to get competitors auctions pulled.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

I dont know exactly how ebay runs it /I never care too much/, but selling a product which is not authentic but is sold as one is basically a fraud, isnt it?
If its a product which is SAME looking as the original one, just brandless and not sold as being original, thats an IP theft issue.
IIRC, I reported it as counterfeit, that should be not to protect the original rights of the producer, or rights owner, but especially the customer who is here 'updated in error' or fooled. I think ebay should protect the customers.
joshuamentor

Post by joshuamentor »

i bid on this item....good thing i did not win it! then i check my email and i got a second chance offer to buy it for ten bucks! Glade i came here first! thanks
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Probably the winner also visited the forum.
Peruna

Post by Peruna »

Fake, the Volpe is FFG.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Peruna wrote:Fake, the Volpe is FFG.
I think it is a very high hollow, not FFG. But,... I've never handled one. Is it high hollow or FFG?

Post by 224477 »

I would say its high hollow, or high saber? But not full flat, imo.