List your 10 most Favorite Production Fixed Blade Knives for SD

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

List your 10 most Favorite Production Fixed Blade Knives for SD

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Let's hear it residents of Spyderville, List your 10 Most Favorite Production Fixed Blade Knives for SD. They can be for EDC or Home protection...

My List (Not in any specific order)

1) Spyderco- "Rock Salt"
2) Spyderco- "Ronin"
3) Boker- "Rampage"
4) CRKT- "Hissatsu"
5) SOG- "Field Pup"
6) RAT- "Rat3"
7) Cold Steel "Mini-Tac" Kiridashi
8) Timberline "Mini Pit-Bull"
9) Cold Steel "Urban Dart"
10) KaBar "Last Ditch"

Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Not in any particular order

Ka Bar Marine 1095
western bowie ( old, carbon steel)
Dozier NY Special
Dozier Agent
Spyderco Perrin street beat
SOG Tigershark ( old SEKI made SK5 version)
Fehrman First strike
Ranger RD 7.5 or 9" 5160
Spyderco Temperance
BlackJack 1-7 classic in 52100 or A2
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco K05 for defense against hunger. 12 gauge coach gun and your namesake ;) for everything else.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

LOL! Good answer Paul.

I have few FBs, from what I have I prefer the La Griffe like blades, thats 1 swick and 1 custom made la griffe redesign, approved by Fred Perrin.

From the knives I dont have but consider these to be excellent for the questioned purpose, in not particular order:

Wharning from Dirk Pinkerton by Meyerco
Persian from the same source
Point Guard from coldsteel
Spike series from coldsteel, especially scimitar
Rampage from Boker Plus /however works forhand/saber or reverse edge out only/
CRKT Hissatsu
Fred Perrin neck street bowie /its a production piece by FP/
Street Beat
Perrin Bowie
RAT/ESEE Izula necker
CRKT Ringer 2 hawkbill /poor mans hideaway claw - HAK/ - I have that one actually..
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I switched over to custom fixed blades a few years back. Only production fixed that I still use is my #ed FB01.

I have been eyeballin the Busse AK47 since the pics first came out, but that's a Z-Day blade rather than something to use daily.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The Deacon wrote:Spyderco K05 for defense against hunger. 12 gauge coach gun and your namesake ;) for everything else.
LOL ....Paul a shotgun :eek: and a :) ....a K05 :confused: and I thought the only fixed blade you would own and consider worthy would be a Kiwi crazy glued into the open position :p ...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

In no particular order:

-Benchmade Snody Resistor
-Cold Steel Tokyo Spike
-Cold Steel Counter Tac
-Ka-Bar TDI Last Ditch
-Ka-Bar TDI
-Spyderco Ronin
-Blackhawk Kalista
-Al Mar Backup 2 (hawkbill)
-Randal #1
-Spyderco Streat Beat

My favourite SD fixed blades are actually kerambits, but I've only got custom ones.
skunk_2

Post by skunk_2 »

i took me a few minutes to figure out what SD was! i assume its self defense!!
i really think im in the minority here, a see my knives, especially my FB's, as tools not weapons!

i guess in a tight situation id like my grasfors bruks axe! the blade on that is fixed right?!
then the bushcraft and orange moran, 'cause they're all i have!
Blademan21

Post by Blademan21 »

Spyderco- Bob Lum
Cold Steel -Scout Recon
Randall-Model 14
Randall-Model 16 Special Fighter

Nuff said

Post by 224477 »

If you have a chance to find it still, CRKT STIFF KISS /FB with sheath/ is an excellent knife, especially the drop point, or the tanto. Good dimensions for concealed carry and came with a multi set-up sheath /injection molded zytel/ with a nice nr. of carry options possible. A sort of Bud Nealy MCS on budget.

I was not wise enough and took the tanto blade CE with chisel grind in 2002, but the knife is still as new, same for sheath, same retention as new. Today I would take a PE drop point.

The Kabar TDI /normal size - sku1480/ is a good choice too, I have a friend whos crazy into those TDIs. If you can get a good grip /I cant due my index finger knuckle/ than I recommend that one. The Last Ditch TDI is too small and tiny, get the real thing :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

224477 wrote:If you have a chance to find it still, CRKT STIFF KISS /FB with sheath/ is an excellent knife, especially the drop point, or the tanto. Good dimensions for concealed carry and came with a multi set-up sheath /injection molded zytel/ with a nice nr. of carry options possible. A sort of Bud Nealy MCS on budget.

I was not wise enough and took the tanto blade CE with chisel grind in 2002, but the knife is still as new, same for sheath, same retention as new. Today I would take a PE drop point.

The Kabar TDI /normal size - sku1480/ is a good choice too, I have a friend whos crazy into those TDIs. If you can get a good grip /I cant due my index finger knuckle/ than I recommend that one. The Last Ditch TDI is too small and tiny, get the real thing :)
I agree the stiff kiss (CRKT and I have the drop point) is a great little knife, a little thin and hard to hold onto for SD though it makes a great neck knife, due to it's thiness. I have to disagree about the Last Ditch TDI, yes it is small and tiny, but conceals well anywhere on the body...neck, under collars, watch pocket etc. It's a real baby wharnie and an incredible cutter...A little paracord wrap around the small handle gives you a little more purchase and control. Fact of the matter is it outcuts it's big brother the TDI, which is still a decent knife but limits the possible blade grips big time.....Doc :D

Post by 224477 »

Hi Doc.
many people, many personal prefferences :D

I examined the Last Ditch TDI and for my taste, its too small. As for concealability you are right but I would take any from the Subcom series /DP, claw, wharnie/ over the LD TDI, I know that folder is something else than a FB but the Last Ditch simply didnt work for me, I couldnt get a proper grip on it, but I couldnt do that with the Kabar TDI 1480 either. One needs to adjust the tools to fit his bill ;)

As for the retention/grip of the STIFF KISS, you right on that one, I recommend a nice rough cordwrap for the handle, it will improve much better. I was amazed how well the knife cuts, especially with power cuts /tanto blade/. I have the chisel ground tanto with CE and I recall exactly the thin point of the drop point was the reason I took the tanto finally. Today I would take the other one.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

The only ones I own are

Spyderco Ronin
Spyderco Rock Salt
Spyderco Santoku :p LOL
$5 chinese kitchen cleaver :D

... bugger... this highlights a very important thing in my collection.... I NEED more FBs !!!! WTF am I doing ? better stop buying guns and start buying FBs :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
jase74

Post by jase74 »

well I am new to this passion for Spyderco's but that being said I am taken with hawkbills so i will go for the following:

Spyderco Harpy SS
Spyderco Civilian
Spyderco Matriarch
Spyderco Superhawk
Spyderco Merlin
Spyderco Spyderhawk
Spyderco P'Kal
Spyderco Tasman Salt
Spyderco Manix (Plain edge)
Spyderco-ParaMilitary Digital Camo G10
Kershaw Amphibian
Spyderco Tenacious

Cheers all....
Cheers

Jase

Post by buglerbilly »

My SD fixed blade is not a knife as such its Golok-on-a-stick at the top........the Al Mar Pathfinder is alternate the Dav Winch custom tier 3..........the Luminox watch is my bedside watch as I can always, and I mean always, read the time no matter how dark it is!

The reason the Golok is blunted is for me to poke someone in the face, solar plexus, groin and/or throat.....the handle keeps whoever at a distance........

The Pathfinder is for me to wave in front of the burglar or whoever and say "that's not a knife THIS is a knife!".........always wanted to say that!

The other seven knives would be more or less anything else I own including everything in the Kitchen

Regards,

BRIAN
LostOutThere

Post by LostOutThere »

Bearing in mind that I am unlikely to be carrying anything larger..

No particular order:

Spyderco Ronin
Gerber Gen 1 Yari
Shivworks Disciple
Spyderco SPOT or LaGriffe
Gerber Guardian
Cold Steel Safe Keeper*
Al Mar Backup 2
Spyderco Fred Perrin Street Beat
Szabo Fixed Douk.

I'm also very interested in the SOG swedge series, but haven't been able to get my hands on one yet.

*Illegal to carry here

Post by 224477 »

Brian, the golok looks more like a shortened naginata to me. Traditional goloks do look a bit different.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I don't have any experience or inclination towards using knives as weapons... and I only have a few fixed blade knives. So this isn't going to be a top 10.

1. CRKT C/K Dragon
2. Rock Salt
3. CRKT Minamalist
4. ESEE Izula

The Dragon is #1 because it"s the only one designed as a fighting knife. I don't know about that, but its 4.5 inches of pointy wharncliffe blade makes for a nice general purpose knife.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yowzer: That Dragon...Use it for utility, any one of the other knives mentioned are better for SD. I have extensively tested the Dragon and it is a poor performer...Doc :D

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Ronin, street beat, swick and la Griffe. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai