Who was your first?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stonetone

Who was your first?

Post by stonetone »

Hi guys,

Sitting here sharpening, and I suddenly realized it's been almost a year since I started acquiring my knives. I'd kept and somehow never lost the same SAK for 20-odd years, along with an assortment of Case slipjoints. But I'd never owned or used more than two EDCs at any given moment.

Then, about a year ago, I started talking knives at work with a friend and admiring his circa-2000 Endura. That my first opportunity to handle a Spyderco. After some time spent researching manufacturers and steels, I bought my first Spyderco: The Barong!

It strikes me now that maybe that was kind of an unusual choice for a newbie. That got me wondering about my fellow knife nuts. So let's hear it: What was your first Spyderco? When? Under what circumstances? Do you still have it?

Meantime, have a great weekend everyone! ~ Matt
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

My first one was the Kiwi.
Then the Volpe.
Then the Caly 3, VG10 version

I still have all of them. In fact the Caly3 and Kiwi see quite a bit of pocket time.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Hey Matt, I probably discovered :spyder: 's around the same time you did. My first :spyder: is a Lum Chinese folder. I had been buying sharpening supplies at KC, and I saw it advertized in one of their newsletters.
I instantly fell in love with the smooth and beautiful lines of the Lum and had to check it out. After I recieved the knife and felt how light and smooth it was I felt the need to check :spyder: out further. I now own 10 folders and 5 fixed blades lolol.

It's been downhill ever since then. The quality and versatility of :spyder: products speaks for itself :D :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

My first was a Dragonfly. I'd been carrying SAKs forever. Around 1999 a co-worker brought in his Dragonfly and I was hooked.

Within a month or two I added to a Caly Jr. and an FRN Cricket. The Cricket became my EDC for years; upgraded to the SS then the Etched as they became available. I've always had a Cricket and some descendant of the Caly Jr. since then. Currently it's an etched Cricket PE and my EDC, an Orange Urban wharncliffe.

Great thread!
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
JLS

Post by JLS »

A Rescue with the integral clip in about 1995. Soon after followed by a G-10 Harpy and a Gin-1 Native.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My first Spyderco was a Sharpmaker. Still sees a lot of use. :D :)
My first Spyderco knife was Native C41 PE. I bought it just to try S30V. I EDC if for about six month. It was replaced by Caly3. Now Native is a car resident-knife. getting used sometimes.
The knife, which hook me to Spyderco was Kopa Cocobolo. Still EDC it few day a week, even right now in my watch pocket, getting used regularly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

My first was a Police back in 1988, still have it.

Never really used or carried it much, it's still very sharp and impressive, the handles are a little scratched, which gives it a dignified patina. Bought it because it was so different at that time, SS handle, spyder edge, clip.
tac

Post by tac »

Tenacious, purchased around five months ago. Don't even remember now why I bought it. I wasn't really into pocket knives at the time, and knew nothing about Spyderco. The more I used and handled that knife, the more I realized what a quality tool it was and how much skill and expertise had gone into designing it. I started looking into the modern pocket knife scene, and it became apparent that Spyderco really was a special company, creating special products.

So now I've got a Spyderpac that's just about full of Spydies. Gonna have to buy another one soon. I don't think that's too shabby for only five months. :) My only regret is that I didn't discover these guys years ago, and missed out on all those great earlier models.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

My first would have to have been the Tenacious - everyone was raving about how good it was and I was very impressed. So impressed that I think I snagged my original Foliage Green UKPK soon after and that became my EDC :) Then a very nice D'Allara came up in the BritishBlades Classifieds ... a really great knife - I just wish I could EDC it over here! :)

I can't honestly say that I have a lot of Spydercos because most are not EDC-able over here and I like to buy things I can carry without having to have a 'good reason'. That means I've limited myself to an Orange UKPK, Bug, Honeybee and I have a Terzuola flying to me at the moment ... and 2 UKPK Lightweights on order :D I'd like to have got a Chicago & Cat and perhaps modded them so they didn't lock but I just missed on those.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

P'Kal. Weird. I had been buying all kinds of knives and was getting into customs a bit. Saw a P'Kal video and my inner teenager bought it. I've been getting rid of my other stuff and am pretty much committed to spyderco now.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

First was an aluminum Peter Herbst. Bought it not realizing it had a wrong handed lock. Still have it, but have never really used it. Next two were a C41 Native that I still use and an all stainless Kiwi that served as my coffee table knife for a few years, opening mail and DVDs, before I sent it to Spain to be engraved by Antonio Montejano. It has an easier life now, but does get carried and used occasionally.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I've been carrying a balisong since i was in college. recently a friend gave me a knock off of a S&W folder. that opened my eyes to folders(except balisongs) since I closed them years ago before the advent of "tacticool". I started checking out folders online. hated the lizard looking spydercos at first. I got bitten by the spyder before i even handled one when they started to look beautiful(this actually surprised me). I took the plunge and got the military. Now I have 4 spyders and one byrd on the way(waiting for knife orders is waaay hard. can't hardly get any sleep). orders take a looong time to get here where I am in the Philippines.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

About 1994 my dad bought me a full serrated Delica SS at a gun show. I was about 12 at the time and used it in Boy Scouts. I carried that knife everywhere (even on planes back before nail clippers somehow became deadly weapons). It was great and seemed to stay sharp forever. I think it was AUS-8 steel at the time. I still had that knife up until about 1-1/2 years ago when it was "lost" in my move from Korea to Germany along with a couple other knives. I guess that jump started my Spydie collection. In the last 1-1/2 years I have bought about 35 Spydies! I guess maybe I should thank the movers (I did get reimbursed for my losses) because without them I never would have looked at Spydercos as much as I did (to figure out how much they all cost). I still wouldn't mind picking up another SS Delica (2?) SE for old times sake.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I think it would be ill mannered to tell you the name of my first. ;)
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

First was an orange ladybug and I remember saying two things. One, so small! and two, SO SHARP!

Next was a tenacious which I traded, and then a Caly 3 which made me have my 20+ spydies ;)
Come Join Us Click Here
unit

Post by unit »

Dialex Adventura.

Got it as a gift from a friend who is now my dealer. Still have it, still think it is one of the most interesting Spydercos made.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

My first spyderco was a ladybug, my mom got it for me at the county fair when I was a young boy. I don't remember how old I was or the year but I do remember it was a spyderco ladybug and it was the sharpest thing in the world. I don't know what happen to it but my mom still has hers on her keychain. I own close to 100 spydies now I guess I can thank my mom for my addiction. GREAT MEMORIES
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

stonetone wrote:It strikes me now that maybe that was kind of an unusual choice for a newbie. That got me wondering about my fellow knife nuts. So let's hear it: What was your first Spyderco? When? Under what circumstances? Do you still have it?
My first Spyderco was the Salt 1, in yellow FRN.

Man, I can't really remember when I got it. I think it was a two years ago. I got it in the summer time.

Well, I was home from college for the summer and was really interested in knives. I already had a Gerber and a Kershaw but was interested in Spyderco. I had been reading a lot on Bladeforums on how good Spydies were. I thought H1 steel was the coolest thing going and I managed to snag a good deal on eBay.

Yes, I still have my Salt 1. Just got it back from Spyderco W&R and am sending it out for a Krein Regrind. I can't wait to see how it turns out. :D
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

First was a titanium Herbst (w/the blue anodizing) in '98 I guess it would have been.

Although these were dropped quickly due to QC issues, mine was absolutely flawless. Loved that thing. Having absolutely no foresight, I flipped it. Duh. :o

It was my first really nice production knife and I was hooked.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

My first product from Spyderco was the Sharpmaker, this was about 10/12 years ago. The first knives from Spyderco I bought several years later, as I did not know that Spyderco has knives too :o
Can't remember what was the first ... either the Military or the Carbon Delica, but I still do have both and Miltary is in EDC rotation. In the meantime Military and Delica have some companions.
Yesterday and today I used the Sharpmaker for sharpening of our kitchen knives. Now my better half is satisfied again; between you and me, my wife enjoys to work with sharp kitchen knives and the Sharpmaker is my best friend ;)

Enjoy your Spydies, Matt!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto