Videos from inside Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unit

Videos from inside Spyderco

Post by unit »

Has anyone ever produced any videos from inside one of Spyderco's production areas?

Specifically, I would enjoy seeing how the edges are ground on the blades and final sharpening (plain edge and Spyder edge).

Not sure if such a video exists or if Spyderco would be interested in sharing one, but I would enjoy seeing it if it exists.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I've seen at least one, it has a montage of production scenes and a quick shot of what looks like a sharpening area. If anyone else has seen it, it's the one with the Native blades being cut out of stock with a laser cutter.

To tide you over; here are some pictures inside the Golden facility. There is a picture of what appears to be the ceramic wheel used to sharpen or grind the serrations.

Spyderco Tour #1

Spyderco Tour #2
unit

Post by unit »

spoonrobot wrote:I've seen at least one, it has a montage of production scenes and a quick shot of what looks like a sharpening area. If anyone else has seen it, it's the one with the Native blades being cut out of stock with a laser cutter.

To tide you over; here are some pictures inside the Golden facility. There is a picture of what appears to be the ceramic wheel used to sharpen or grind the serrations.

Spyderco Tour #1

Spyderco Tour #2
Oh great! Now I am a member on ANOTHER forum.

Thanks for the links. This stuff is cool. Can just anyone get a plant tour like that if they go to Colorado? Perhaps I should make the trip and just skip the video?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

From what I recall tours of the production area were not offered to the general public.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unit

Post by unit »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:From what I recall tours of the production area were not offered to the general public.
That would not surprise me a bit...that would be pretty costly to have appropriate measures and staffing to allow everyone in to gawk at your employees/operations. It sure would be cool to see though.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Sal was on a show called Cool Tools IIRC on HGTV. they showed a little bit of behind the scenes at the factory. do a search and you will find it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I started a very similar thread on BritishBlades about this recently and Grace reminded me of those threads where she was invited behind the scenes. As a knife-maker herself I think she was given special dispensation and I can't imagine that Sal has got the time to show all the fans around the factory - as much as we'd all like him too! :D But I think if they could get someone to make some simple hand-held YouTube-type vids of how they do things (no trade secrets) it would be great PR :)
bdbender

Post by bdbender »

spoonrobot wrote:I've seen at least one, it has a montage of production scenes and a quick shot of what looks like a sharpening area. If anyone else has seen it, it's the one with the Native blades being cut out of stock with a laser cutter.

Spyderco Tour #1

Spyderco Tour #2
spoonrobot, dumb question time - I signed up on the britishblades forum (thanks, looks like fun) but all I can find is threads about the videos, not the videos themselves. What might I be doing wrong? Thanks!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I only linked to Britishblades because they had some photo tours. I have no idea where the video would be at. I recall watching it a few years ago on Youtube and another video site but cannot find it again. I'll update if I manage to find it.
markg

Post by markg »

You can download the video on iTunes, it is $1.49. It does have some significant Spyderco content so is worth your money.
bdbender

Post by bdbender »

Thanks, gentlemen!
unit

Post by unit »

markg wrote:You can download the video on iTunes, it is $1.49. It does have some significant Spyderco content so is worth your money.
Sorry I am not all that iTunes inclined. Can you tell me how to find this?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

tonydahose wrote:Sal was on a show called Cool Tools IIRC on HGTV. they showed a little bit of behind the scenes at the factory. do a search and you will find it.
http://www.diynetwork.com/cool-tools/tr ... index.html

mentions the spydiewrench.

I will download this episode from itunes and see if i can crop it and put it on youtube for you guys.

in the meantime:

http://www.diynetwork.com/search/result ... etwork.com
In omnia paratus
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Looks like they use a form dressed wheel on a precision grinder to do the serrations. We just took a section on form dressed wheels in my machinist course, very cool. Thanks for the links to the pics.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
markg

Post by markg »

unit wrote:Sorry I am not all that iTunes inclined. Can you tell me how to find this?
Look under TV shows for "Cool Tools." It is season 3, entitled "Transformers." It is the segment of the show. It worth the price I think.

Unless you buy it, you will only get to have 30 seconds of the show to watch.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

In omnia paratus
unit

Post by unit »

Very nice. Thanks guys.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)