I feel vaguely...dirty...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacTech

I feel vaguely...dirty...

Post by MacTech »

I feel a little guilty, and a little dirty, I've been momentarily..... "unfaithful" to Spyderco....

I've picked up a Benchmade 551 Griptilian....

....*HOWEVER*, it didn't cost me a thing, I traded in some old knives that I never used (non-Spydie) for store credit, got more than I paid for them, and still have store credit left over, the 551 was basically "free"

It's the basic 154CM thumbstud model, but what really attracted me to it was the fact that it was in relatively decent shape, sure, it had been used, but not abused

....plus, it had *ORANGE* scales, how could I resist an *orange* knife, it goes so well with my other "colorful" knives, my "blue" D4 Wave, my Tasman twins (yellow, one SE, one PE), my yellow Spyderhawk Salt, my FG Manix 1, and my pair of blue Dodos (one PE, one SE)

It makes a great companion to my Spyderhawk, and shares it's similar "freindly" scale color, I mean, how could anyone not like an orange-handled knife?

All that said, I have to admit, the full-size Grip is a great knife, the scales are the right size for my hand (I had a Minigrip for a while, but it never felt right, so I sold it), very hand-filling and comfortable, the jimping on the thumb ramp, choil, and heel of the knife really enhance the secure in-hand gripability of the knife, blade opening and closing are buttery smooth, it feels like it's riding on ball bearings, and there is absolutely *NO* bladeplay, none, nada

The Axis lock is also incredibly cool, I now understand the attraction to this lock, much like the Spydie original ball bearing lock, it feels rock solid, I am a little nervous about the longevity of the Omega springs, I know they should last, and if not, BM should stand behind the knife and replace the springs

I still prefer Spyderco, compared side-by-side, the D4/E4 knives are just as solid as the Grip series, but the D4/E4 series have IMHO, a better steel (easier to sharpen, 154CM seems to be a bit harder to put a Scary edge on than VG-10), and far more value for the money, plus, try getting a factory-produced Waved Griptilian, the D4/E4 Wave is quite possibly one of Spyderco's most perfect knives

The Grip series are nice knives, but they seem just a hair overpriced for what you get, they're definitely trading on the "mystique" of the Axis locking system, that said, I don't forsee adding any more Grips to the collection, (well, maybe a yellow scaled RitterGrip, but that's about it), they're nice knives for sure, no argument there, they just seem to be missing the..... "Personality" of Spyderco's offerings, just my opinion, NOT a slam against Benchmade
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
Billy

Post by Billy »

Meh, don't feel dirty. Sounds like you got a great deal on a great knife! I'm guilty of the same thing and even though the majority of my collection consists of Spydies, I do have some Emersons, ESEE's, HI's and I just ordered a Kershaw, which I haven't done in almost 5 years!. FYI, it's the limited edition Needs Work with the G10 handles and stonewashed blade. :D I just couldn't resist the combination of stonewashed, wharnie blade and offset, G10 handles. The clip is butt ugly and it's only tip down and I do have mixed feelings about the AO, but for the money, I decided, what the heck. It seems to have more pluses than minuses and I am looking forward to it's arrival. I also have another Emerson on the way (tan handled, stonwashed A100) along with a brown FFG D4. So, it's good to branch out every now and then...see what the other companies are putting out there. But my heart and loyalty will always be to Spyderco. :)
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Donut

Post by Donut »

Congrats on the new knife. Nothing is as good as a free knife. :)

Your review is really nice. It gives me a much clearer picture of Benchmade.

I can't bring myself to buy one. I'm not going to go into detail, but the small things that shy me away are mentioned in your review.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
rycen

Post by rycen »

Would you happen to be from Maine?
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

MacTech wrote:they're nice knives for sure, no argument there, they just seem to be missing the..... "Personality" of Spyderco's offerings
I feel the same way when it comes to Benchmade. Their fit and finish is often beyond question, and they do make some impressive blades.

However, they lack that "special" something. It's almost as if they give off a clinical or sterile feeling.. they just don't connect with me on the same level as a Spydie does. Oh, well.

Congratulations on your new addition!
DaddyBarlow

Post by DaddyBarlow »

Stuff I like about Benchmade:
Axis-Lock --> IMO, its super slick
I love there Gold Class Knives (most of them)
I like some of thier older knives: AFCK, Spike, 690 & I love the 940!

Stuff I dislike about Benchmade:
There stoled the "Hole" from Spyderco.
They make every model until everybody gets sick of it, some models are just not collectable since there were so many made.
They are not as fun to play with (as Spydercos)...LOL! :D
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

rycen wrote:Would you happen to be from Maine?
Ayuh, I could say I've lived there all my life, but I ain't dead yet....
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

I've owned a couple of Griptilians and sold them, I just couldn't get used to the light handle, they always feel blade heavy. I do like Benchmade though and recently bought a Rift which is an excellent blade.
markg

Post by markg »

Great knife, I have had about 15 of them over time.
CharlesIV

Post by CharlesIV »

DaddyBarlow wrote:Stuff I dislike about Benchmade:
There stoled the "Hole" from Spyderco.
They make every model until everybody gets sick of it, some models are just not collectable since there were so many made.
They are not as fun to play with (as Spydercos)...LOL! :D
Thats funny, those are the only real things I like about them. I only own one of their knives and yes it has the :spyder: hole in it the original 630 Skirmish model. The only other one I'd like is the 550 Griptilian but it can wait.
I own only five :spyder: s and i'm quite upset that one of them has been cut in production. ****, I wish everyone I knew owned all of the models I have they're great knives. I just wish I could go two months without buying one :rolleyes:
amar

Post by amar »

One should never over-depend on something to function flawlessly, and always have a variety to avoid "single point of failure". Benchmade makes excellent knives, and the stud or the hole are personal choices, but the blades are great. So enjoy the Grip, as you enjoy your Spydies. :-)

-Amarendra