Bushcraft UK - 2nds "heads-up"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Bushcraft UK - 2nds "heads-up"

Post by sal »

Hi all,

As most of you know, our Bushcraft UK collaboration had difficulties. The short story is that the stabilized wood that we used, a very beautiful "Spalted Maple", for the handle ended up not being stabilized and we experienced cracking on the handles of 95% of the run. The wood vendor assumes no liability other than to replace the raw wood.

As a result of this dilemma, Spyderco has decided to sell the pieces as 2nds through our web-site. The price of the knife with leather sheath is $90.

Some have thought to replace the handle, but I believe that removing the handle and reproducing the excellent ergonomics of the original design would be difficult to impossible for most. My suggestion, for those that get one, would be to fill the cracks, polish the handle and enjoy using the piece. Of course the knife is also functional with the cracks as they are.

Our apologies to our customers for the problem encountered which forces this change of direction.

sal
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Thanks for the heads up, Sal. Sorry that this issue happened to you guys. We all know there was a lot of time and sweat put into this. Im going to put my order in now!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Thanks for the info Sal, and again, sorry for all the trouble the Bushcraft has given you and your company. I already put my order in.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I am sad this didn't work out how you hoped and I dont want you to stop making knives with wood handle. That being said, I've got my order in for 2.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

I just ordered mine! Thanks again Sal!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Im stoked that I got the 1st order in (I think...). So, I know this question will come up and I cant wait to ask it. What is the best way to fill in the cracks Best material? Do we put some sort of overcoat on - urethane, etc? I obviously dont need an answer right now, but let's get this part of the discussion going.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sal. How many of these are available if you don't mind my asking? Thanks.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Sal, thank you for the heads up. The Bushcraft is a beautiful and elegant knife regardless of the problems you had. I'm in for at least 1.

I'm sorry that you had to end up taking a hit for it.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

Sal, I'm sorry about the problems you had with the Bushcraft UK knives, I like the design very much and I was really looking forwards to a Spyderco with wood handle and leather sheath.

I hope you give it another try in the future.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

File under "Bad Things Sometimes Happen to Good People/Companies." :(
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

oh noooo. Too late. It says they're sold out :(
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

Looks like I missed out ****
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I was able to get one about 15 minutes ago. I'm glad I didn't wait to think about it. Who knows, maybe Sal will dig up some more later on. Keep checking.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you got shut out, it might be worth checking back tomorrow, or even later in the day. Kristi has mentioned that (at least sometimes) the entire inventory of a knife is not always posted to SFO in one shot.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I imagine they will keep adding additional ones to the site. Sal said 95% of the total has this problem and I can't imagine all those 2nds are gone in a few hours. Even at the discount price, it's still a good chunk of change.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
GMArthur

Post by GMArthur »

I just put an order in. I'm guessing they are still available.

Post by Sequimite »

They are showing stock again. I had to order mine by phone and was told that they would move some from the telephone and walk in sales pool to the online sales pool, which has now happened. Forgot to ask how many were left.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Its to bad these didnt work out as planned, they look like such a great knife, I picked one up to try the steel, I've never had anything in O1 and have been wanting to try it. Thanks for the heads up Sal!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

This situation is very sad and unfortunate, but I will buy to help offset the expense to Spyderco.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cckw

Post by cckw »

can you imagine being the guy that last year spoke up in a meeting and said "I think we would make a ton of money if we offered a Bushcrafter. And I know a wood shop that puts out some great looking spalted maple!"...