What are you reading right now?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

What are you reading right now?

Post by vampyrewolf »

Just started in on another book, have lots of time this weekend that'll let me get most of it read.

Dogmatic Wisdom: How the Cultural Wars Divert Education and Distract America

Takes a GOOD look at the education system and it's many failings over the 20th century. So far I'm about 30 pages in, and think I'm going to have to get my old high school english teacher reading this. Unless his opinions have changed a lot in the last 8 years, he'll enjoy it too.

What're you folks reading now?
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Just finished Shopclass as Soulcraft by a guy named Matt Crafword. Basically musings of a guy who has been both a motorcycle mechanic and a think-tank intellectual. Quite intellectual at times, interlaced with real life stories, experience and wisom accumulated from living. One of the things he talks about is taking the mass produced and making it personal--kinda like tweaking your spydies.

Also trying to slog through a zombiegeddon novel called The Estuary, slow in the beginning or maybe I'm just tired.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Right now? With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge.

Over the last month I've also read Ford County by John Grisham, Generation Kill by Evan Wright, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

Still on my "to read" list are One Bullet Away by Nathanial Fick and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.
Jason
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

this thread :p sorry, i couldnt resist. right now i am not reading anything, all my free time has been spent modding kiwis or kopas. the last book i read was S. King's Under The Dome
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Right now, it is a post od the Spyderco Forum....ok a little joke.

Actually:

Legislating Morality by Norm Geisler and Frank Turek
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

tonydahose wrote:this thread :p sorry, i couldnt resist. right now i am not reading anything, all my free time has been spent modding kiwis or kopas. the last book i read was S. King's Under The Dome
I'm about 50 pages into that one, not really grabbing my attention.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
raven

Post by raven »

Reading the SOTIC Manual (Special Operations Target Interdiction Course). Studying the ballistics of shooting through barriers and glass with the various long range calibers. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I'm re-reading Steig Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, to jog my memory when I read the next book in the series.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Just finished a book on the June 1967 Six Day War between Israel and numerous other countries. They lost more soldiers in six days, as a percentage of their population, than the US did the entire time we were in Viet Nam.

Just started What Paul Meant by Gary Wills but may put that one back on the shelf in favor of one of the twenty odd books I picked up at a used book sale this morning. (spent $8.75)
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
tpro68

reading

Post by tpro68 »

Charles Cardinal Journet's Theology of the Church, Code of Canon Law and John currently; but last semester it was Confessions - St. Augustine, Interior Castles - St. Theresa of Avila, Journey of the Mind to God - St. Bonaventure. I'm hoping it will one day be St. Tpro68. :rolleyes: Good stuff, but it feels like the deep end of the pool.
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" & Timothy Keller's "The Reason for God".
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

Finnegans Wake by Joyce, it's about time I worked my way through that quagmire!
may it not be tricksy
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

GRITS the debut novel by Welsh author Niall Griffiths.

"In the late 1990s, a group of young drifters find themselves washed up in a small town on the west coast of Wales. Here they explore and attempt to overcome the yearnings and addictions which have brought them to this place: promiscuity, drugs, alcohol, petty crime, the intense and angry search for the meaning which they feel life lacks."
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Hookpunch

Post by Hookpunch »

Too Big To Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin on the financial crisis.
Welcome to the addiction
4077th

Post by 4077th »

Halfway thru I, Sniper by Stephen Hunter. Just finished Game Change, that controversial "tell-all" book about the 08 presidential race. Heckuva book. Not much into political books but this'un was pretty good. And written from a surprisingly "fair" standpoint. You can't tell who the authors are "pulling" for, in other words. They got dirt on EVERYBODY!! :) Insightful. Planning to read Shutter Island before seeing the movie. Love to read. A great escape.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I just finishedDies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. Working on Atlas Shurgged, but my college studies have been encroaching on my recreational reading. I'm also working on Evans-Pritchard's The Nuer for my ethnography class. Other readings this semester include selections from John Locke, Lenin, Malinowski, and many others.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

sarguy wrote:Other readings this semester include selections from John Locke, Lenin, Malinowski, and many others.
I loved Malinowski's theory that South Pacific myths were coded navigational instructions; the stories making them easier to remember.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Sequimite wrote:I loved Malinowski's theory that South Pacific myths were coded navigational instructions; the stories making them easier to remember.
OOO that does sound good. I haven't got there quite yet. Being a Methods course, all we've done is dissect the introduction and explaination of his method so far.
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

sarguy

Post by sarguy »

JBE wrote:Right now? With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge.

Over the last month I've also read Ford County by John Grisham, Generation Kill by Evan Wright, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

Still on my "to read" list are One Bullet Away by Nathanial Fick and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.
I thought Generation Kill was great. Not long ago I saw a 2nd edition with more info on the outcomes of the people featured in the book.

How's With the old Breed? It's on my Amazon wishlist.

huugh

Post by huugh »

The Wars of the Roses by R Neillands for and Human Action by L. von Mises.