Delica, Para, Manix 2...Compare and Contrast

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jonsidneyb

Delica, Para, Manix 2...Compare and Contrast

Post by jonsidneyb »

Hey everyone.

I am curious about something. Lets say the steel is exactly the same and the handle material is the same.

Which of these three knives would you like best and why?

Thanks for any input.

Lets toss in the Native for good measure.

Delica, Para, Manix 2, Native
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

this is an personal preference question if you ask me.

for me the Pramilitary has a too big of handle and i dont like the compression lock.

the Delica fits like a glove in my hand and im so old fashioned with the lock type it already comes with i cant change.

the Delica! and its cheaper.

oh yeah the Manix, there is no way in **** that i can have that tank on my pocket and in hand, love the knife and how solid it locks up but man o man that is a tank
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

It probably depends on what your really looking for in it...Because for me the delica is so lightweight and a great size and go to knife for just about anything. But if you need something a bit more beefy for heavier cutting jobs and hard work I'd definately say the manix 2, just because imho it has the best feel, shape, look, design and lock out of the three.
Dont get me wrong though theyre all great knives and I have two para's two delica's and soon to be two manix 2's once the blue ones come out! :D
If your trying to decide,I'd go with a 154cm M2 because it is one of the best deals spyderco offers. Really cheap price for quality work and an all around awesome blade. And you may as well get a delica too, you can find them for next to nothing on the forums so theyre a pretty good deal also!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
jonsidneyb

Post by jonsidneyb »

spyderHS08,

Your post is hard to follow up on. I need to approach this as if they all have the same exact steel and handle materials. I am trying to take steel and handle material out of the equation.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

I Love my Para(I have 3)!!! It's the perfect shape, the handle to blade ratio I find awesome, the modified clip point blade offers lots of cutting ability, and the comp lock rocks!! BUT.....I am waiting patiently for my Manix2(blue), so when I get it, I'll let you know how I like it, so for now, I'd go for the Para.

John
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

jonsidneyb wrote:spyderHS08,

Your post is hard to follow up on. I need to approach this as if they all have the same exact steel and handle materials. I am trying to take steel and handle material out of the equation.
Sorry man, spyderco's are all so good....hmmm let me make this simple
MANIX 2 final answer! :D :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

jonsidneyb wrote:Hey everyone.

I am curious about something. Lets say the steel is exactly the same and the handle material is the same.

Which of these three knives would you like best and why?

Thanks for any input.

Lets toss in the Native for good measure.

Delica, Para, Manix 2, Native
Firstly a lot off this does come down to personal preference. If your looking at purchasing one of these you will be best rewarded by at least trying to handle at least one of these at a B&M store, though that is not something we all have the luxury of.

The Delica: I don't own one as I have a strong preference for folders that utilize a "50/50" finger choil. Apart from that it has everything that makes for a reliable, friendly general EDC knife.

The Native: The Native has many here fans and is often peoples first introduction to Spyderco. However the ergo's of the Native have never worked for me, my hand has always felt like it's in the wrong position. Definitely handle one first. This was my first ever Spydie so naturally I've kept mine. This sees it's share if "beater" use now and then.

The Paramilitary: For me this is the ultimate working EDC folder. A highly versatile blade shape, 4mm FFG, a sensible blade length, with a large slim handle which fits me like a glove. Its Light weight and very nimble in hand. The compression lock is strong, reliable and easy to manipulate one handed even in the most compromising of situations. The open back construction makes for easy cleaning in the field too.
This carry's tip down and rides high in pocket, which makes for easy retrieval without any fumbling about.
This is a "trailblazing" work knife, not something for discreet office carry or to be admired for it's looks. Some people do have trouble at first getting used to the comp lock. Others think they are somehow being robbed by having a small blade in a large handle... :rolleyes: The high riding RH Tip down only carry, and the exposed blade tang have also put a few people off this one.

The Manix 2: Another solid workhorse here, for me the one thing which separates this from all other's is the grip. The Manix 2's deep finger choil and extended jimping around the periphery of the handle make for a a very secure knife in hand. The caged ball lock is easy to manipulate one handed and locks up solidly with out any blade play in either direction. This carries tip up only and sits relatively low in pocket. An excellent general use tough EDC knife.

Remember there is no best, just different :D .....

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
carrot

Post by carrot »

For the record, Jon's asking for a comparison between:
Delica G-10 FFG
Paramilitary
Manix2 FFG sprint
Native4
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Have had experience with 3 of the 4, (not owning a Para).
I never cared for the Delica, though the one here is a waved one and the wave just looks goofy, and messes up the blade shape to me.

The Native is sweet, especially if you get a CF one, but even the FRN is ok.

The Manix2 is a tank. Heavy, locks up like a vault, wide in the pocket, and very nice in the hand. The FFG version would be my preference, though I think the standard grind is probably a slightly more durable blade due to thickness (?).
If I wanted a folder to take abuse, this would be it.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

My choice would be the Manix 2. It fits my hand well, and I like the caged ball-bearing lock. I think the ball-bearing lock is the neatest lock that Spyderco makes, and it certainly is solid.

It's a fun knife. It can handle a wide variety of cutting tasks. I've used mine for both heavy and light duty cutting and it has worked great. Some of the effectiveness of this knife for me is due to the way the handle shape fills out my own hand. It allows me to get good leverage on a tough task, but the choil placement and jimping allow me to "choke up" on the handle for precise cuts as well.

The Delica and the Native are nice knives, but don't fit my hand as well as the Manix. I like my Para quite a bit. It fits my hand nicely (I am starting to realize that I have larger hands). I would be reluctant to attempt some of the hard work my Manix has done with my Para due to the more delicate tip and relative blade thinness.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Manix 2 FTW

I sold both of my Para's, still have my 2 natives, and have my one FFG D4. ( I like the Para's but sold them to fund some other purchases since I will get a Para 2 when they are out) I don't have a Manix 2 yet, but after handeling a friends M2 for a little while I loved it so much I have two Manix 2's on the way to me. The size and shape of the M2 as well as how it carries in the pocket were a few selling points for me. Also the locking mechanism. I don't like compression locks much, and backlocks are ok, but the CBBL on the Manix 2 is so strong and easy to operate. I can't wait for my M2's to get here.

Pros for M2 (IMO)
Handle shape and ergos, deep finger choil.
Clip placement right hand tip up carry, also placed to make it relatively low riding.
Caged Ball Bearing lock makes it ambidextrious and is a very strong lock.
Size, as I prefer a slightly larger knife (compared to native & D4)
Weight, as I prefer a knife with a bit more weight (compared to native & D4)
Jimping on the knife handle (front and back) providing considerable grip.

Cons (IMO)
none.

Cons (in others opinions, or others opinions I have read)
Size-to big
Weight-to heavy

Compared to the other knives listed the Manix 2 is my favorite. I like all the others listed though. But if I could only have one, give me my Manix 2.

I know others will disagree, but thats my .02
Vic
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

I vote for the Manix 2 as long as you're cool with the size and the weight.

The ball bearing lock, the shape of the handle, and the shape of the blade makes the Manix 2 one of the best knives that Spyderco has ever produced; I don't care what materials are used.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

spyderHS08 wrote:I'd definately say the manix 2, just because imho it has the best feel, shape, look, design and lock out of the three.
That's why it gets my vote. Just SLIGHTLY edged out by the Bradley - IMO.

Ken
玉鋼
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Manix 2.

Its a chunky-strong-beat-the-crap-out-of-it knife.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Probably the Manix 2 - same reasons as stated by others. But as an EDC, then we are talking CF/S90V... :) Or I've then got a Caly3, CF in pocket. Manix's can be fairly heay. Not a bad thing because they are insamely tough. So this all depends on what you are using it for. The Delica is not bad either. Great knife. And Para is awesome too. Personally I'd have all three and rotate. :) Make that 4... I like the Caly3.
jonsidneyb

Post by jonsidneyb »

Take steel out of the picture :)

Lets say you had to give 10 identical knives to a group of 10 people and they were all different. This is a design study.... :)

It will be best for all of them. The one that is a best fit for a variety people. It would be easy if there was not standardization.
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

I have them all, and I vote MANIX (Okay, I don't have the Manix 2).

Second vote would be for the DELICA.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Only problem for me with Manix2--I love this knife--is that I feel like someone will call the cops if I pull it out of my pocket (especially the way I pull it when not thinking about it--whoosh SNAP :) ). It is not a sheep friendly knife. That being said, if I had to own only one knife, and hard duty was a possibility, the Manix2 is it.

Find a way to get your hands on one. It locks up so solid. The caged ball lock is just unbelievable. Plus, looks like wear on lock won't be an issue because the coil spring that pushes the ball in place will just keep on pushing regardless of wear on base of blade.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Based on handles and blades they have different philosophies.

The Native 4 is a classy carbon fiber handled knife that slices well and seems to have decent ergonomics but is a wider handle than the delica.

The delica is the mini champ here (smallest in pocket but comfy in hand) . Great slicer and grippy with g10 an the most logical for an "everything" knife. It won't freak people out and is up there next to the caly3 g10 fir most folks. No real weaknesses.

The para is a more robust version of the delica in my mind. Harder steel like the native, stronger lock, flow through handle, pointier tip. A bit chunky and long in comparison but still 2oz or so lighter than the manix2 in standard trim.

The manix2 is the Mike Tyson of the price range. Aggressive blade shape and grind, strong lock, and a handle that will take skin off before it will slip! If you had to fight a T-Rex with wet hands it would be my pick :p . However it's heavier and a bit mean looking with the blade grind lines. Hollow grinds just look more aggressive.

I would throw the FRN Stretch into the mix too. It combines most of the food points without much of the bad. It's a function over form knife so many don't understand it...but those who do profit bigtime with performance in spades.
jonsidneyb

Post by jonsidneyb »

Anyone else?