Factory Sharp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Factory Sharp

Post by Lostification »

Hi guys, I don't know if yall remember me but I used to be on this forum a long time ago!

Anyway, to cut to the quick (I have a paper I have to write tonight) I was wonder how Spyderco sharpens their knives. I just sent my knives back for sharpening and I can't get over it. It's so different from any other sharp edge I've used. They definitely don't use the sharpmaker because I have one and it doesn't resemble this at all when I do it! Haha!
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Chuck Norris glares at them, and they become sharp.

Or at least thats how they used to do it I heard.

Sal and Chuck had a bit of a scuffle and we shall just say...

Sal glares at them now... they become sharper.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Ok they actually use a grinder, and a few other tricks I'm not goona say :)
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd guess the sharpening equipment is similar to most production companies. Where Spyderco differs is the edge is thinner than some, and the consistancy from knife to knife, model to model is IMO above average.

They aren't even buffed out to super high polishes, but the edges are knife like, not axe like, and the chance of finding something like a bad burr or wire edge is pretty low. This speaks to the experience of the employees, and the quality control.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Just to back up what mastiff said. Yes they do it on a grinder... by hand. yes... freehand. They have two (I think its two guys, could be a few more, but none the less very very few) guys that do all the sharpening at the Golden Factory. They are quite skilled.

I know alot of companys have machines that hold the angles and do the major sharpening task. Spyderco... by hand... hench sharpest knives in the biz
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

I've been marveling at how sharp my knives are back from the factory but upon a closer look at my paramilitary, the bevel is really uneven. It almost looks like a chisel grind.. I guess they DO do it by hand, lol..
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

They use a slack belt sander or something. From what I hear it leaves tiny serrations which make them stay so sharp for so long.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

you can get a similar edge with a paper wheel ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I don't know what they use. I assume its some sort of wheel grinder.

Spyderco produces the nastiest factory edges I've ever seen.

I just got the Chinook III and am more than satisfied with the job they did.
Lostification

Post by Lostification »

I don't know if I should send them back again. I can't stand being without them. It took almost two weeks and I almost died, haha! The weird reach for pocket.. to find nothing there.. lol Spydie withdrawals are gnarly.

I'm kind of upset that they did a poor job. I always wanted to buy a benchmade so maybe if I get one of those it won't be so bad with the spydies gone, lol
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Lostification

Post by Lostification »

Now I've got from "kind of upset" to --> pretty pissed off. That's ridiculous. I know the sharpening is free, but.. lol

Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Ohh man that sucks.
Re profiling that by hand will be tough if you don't have the tools...
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Any chance your Para is SE? Just curious.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Any chance your Para is SE? Just curious.
I was just thinking the exact same thing.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Lostification

Post by Lostification »

Serrated? No, its a straight edge. Ugghhhh, this is annoying.. That's a big waste of metal.. I planned on passing this onto a son in the future but at this rate, there might not be any blade left xD
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Lost, If you aren't satisfied you should contact W&R and try to talk to them on the phone. A look at this picture should tell them what they need to know. I imagine they will probably try to make you happier than you obviously are now. If it bothers you don't just put the knife down and forget about it. Work with them for a resolution.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Lostification

Post by Lostification »

Yeah, but it's just so much work. That's why I sent it to the factory to sharpen it. xD I'm also a full-time student trying to juggle work.

I suppose if I have time to post on here, then I must have enough time to work this out, lol. =p
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Lostification

Post by Lostification »

I would just like to let everyone know.... Nine months later.. I have finally mailed it back to the factory, hahahaha! In fact, I sent all of my spydies! I finally feel comfortable without them since I have a new knife obsession.

Can anybody guess? =P

Edit: Not that the logo gives it away any.....
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Looks like a Mayo design collaboration to me. Possibly CPM S30V? I'm not too up on that company's more modern designs.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

A Buck/Mayo TNT?

And that's unfortunate about your Para, sorry man.