fake SPIN out there

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.

fake SPIN out there

Post by 224477 »

attention there is a fake Spin available within China, buy from verified sources you know!

http://item.eachnet.com/prd/1251378932201990_prd.html
Attachments
fake spin.jpg
fake spin.jpg (95.54 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

That's the most realistic looking fake Spin I've seen in awhile!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Wow..impressive, in a bad way lol. that does look quite realistic though. Nice job on catching that.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
THG

Post by THG »

Wow, looks almost exactly like mine (mine isn't etched, though.) The only difference I can see is that the sharpening choil should be round instead of square. I can't comment on the etching, though, since I don't have an etched model, nor have I ever seen one.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme

Post by 224477 »

This is original one to have them on one site both, pic borrowed from knives.cx

Post by 224477 »

Honestly, by this one I am really having trouble to tell the differences, it was given away by the low price asked for it and the etching looked kinda odd to me, so I run the description through the translator and it was listed as 'good imitation' or something like that /at least thats what the translator made out of it/..
Second thing, that I can comment on, pictured is a grey old style box, I would guess the etched Spins came in the new red ones, or not? Can someone confirm that?
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Kinda slick of them, if you translate to page and look at the brand in the listing it says Spider

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... h-CN&tl=en
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

It actually says imitated spider.

Post by 224477 »

fake spin again, very accurate counterfeit this time :(

http://yjkk.com/product.asp?productID=X2399

Rob

Post by Rob »

I only hope that they took an original for taking pictures of it. I honestly can't spot something that gives the last one away as a fake :mad: I see bad times coming up for collectors who buy pre-owned Spydies when copies like that hit the market in masses...

Cheers, Rob

Post by 224477 »

The screws aint the same, original has visible torx heads, the fake one has more of an hex, even I think those will be chinese torx heads as well.
The frame bar goes too close the lanyard hole on the fake, I doubt the original looks like these.
But the bad news is, they are getting detail wise 'better' with every POS they make. One has to be really carefull when the inner feeling is not okey, or if the product is suspicious in any way.

I recall I bought a fake perfume last year from a local source that appeared to be a regular online shop /in country, not from China/ and as I am not a perfume afi, I just had some irregular feelings about the lettering on the flask, the product looked very original but was missing the luxury glance it should have. I talked to the official brand distributor over here and I was right, it was a fake. But basically the 'strange' feeling was the start of the give-away. So dont let you fool with the price or 1st glance good offers.
Rob

Post by Rob »

224477 wrote:The screws aint the same, original has visible torx heads, the fake one has more of an hex, even I think those will be chinese torx heads as well. The frame bar goes too close the lanyard hole on the fake, I doubt the original looks like these.
Ah, thanks for pointing out the differences! Very well spotted! The screw-heads actually would have been the last thing I checked. :confused:

You're right, they are getting better. :mad: A couple of years ago, you could spot a fake Spyderco from miles away. Nowadays you have to check EVERY detail.

The only thing I don't understand is why these POS knives are showing up. I mean I can understand that there might be a market for fake watches, hand bags, etc. that usually would cost you several thousands of dollars. But knives? I mean although Spyderco is a very well known manufacturer of quality knives, these knives do not exactly fall under the category of "luxury goods" like lets say a Rolex or a Montblanc pen (at least for me).

I guess to avoid buying a fake knife, you really have to buy from a dealer you know and trust, buy discontinued models (less likely cloned) or know the model you want to buy VERY well.

Cheers, Rob

Post by 224477 »

The philosophy of chinese market is very far from the western one, they do not have honour for intelectual property, as in communism, everything is forced to be owned by all. I dont wanna make this a politics discussion, please.

In short, at least as I understand this, the counterfeits are something like 'replacements' for the chinese market where people cant get the real thing. The average salary in china is less then we make for a week, at least from what I know. The price for this one in PRC is 29 yuan, whats around 3 euros, you read that correct.

Sometimes their target is to 'hommage' the original product by trying to make as best copy as possible.
Basically a lot of these would never leave China if not sold by chinese on ebay. Noone from US or EU would buy at paipai or baidu /their ebay clones/ as we cant read their signs script.

I dont understand this either. Especially, this SPIN counterfeit has VG10 engraved but in fact its made from some 4Cr13 steel.

I dont understand who is their primary 'target' for these 'products' - me as an afi, I would never want to carry something like this, as its not the real thing, not only legal wise, but more important, performance wise.

We can do one thing, to avoid buying this stuff and educate all eventual buyers, thats why I am very happy this subforum exists. That people who dont know, or are not sure, can come over here and ask for advice, or simply browse for what was already disguised. That helps to protect the customers /we/ to be disappointed of buying the incorrect thing and that protects spyderco too, gives some basic overview how far their 'black shadows' are (as its close to impossible to track down the actual makers of these and I cant imagine to sue them, they are in China and thats a different world kind of..)
Rob

Post by Rob »

224477 wrote:I dont understand who is their primary 'target' for these 'products' - me as an afi, I would never want to carry something like this, as its not the real thing, not only legal wise, but more important, performance wise.

We can do one thing, to avoid buying this stuff and educate all eventual buyers, thats why I am very happy this subforum exists. That people who dont know, or are not sure, can come over here and ask for advice, or simply browse for what was already disguised.
Well spoken. I fully agree!

Cheers, Rob