Another Travis scam on eBay

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
LorenzoL

Another Travis scam on eBay

Post by LorenzoL »

FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Well he has a very high positive feedback rating.

I take it this guy is a bit of a smelly fish on the eBay front.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Aside from the lies about the four-way clip and being discontinued, the only thing I see wrong with it is that it is coming from Dr. Frankenspyder.

I will say I've bought a couple of knives from him, and aside from a linerless G-10 Police with a flat-grind blade which struck me as a bit odd, I have been satisfied with his service.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Now and again I have seen him sell knives that look okay even if the description is less than accurate. That being said, I will not bid on any of his items because I really get a feeling that most of his knives might not be attained through honest means.

I could be wrong and I am not saying this to disparage anyone but his auctions for the most part just don't pass my personal smell test. There are too many sellers on Ebay that I have purchased from that are reputable and have given my good service and I will stick with them.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bluntrauma wrote:Now and again I have seen him sell knives that look okay even if the description is less than accurate. That being said, I will not bid on any of his items because I really get a feeling that most of his knives might not be attained through honest means.

I could be wrong and I am not saying this to disparage anyone but his auctions for the most part just don't pass my personal smell test. There are too many sellers on Ebay that I have purchased from that are reputable and have given my good service and I will stick with them.
I have to agree. Anyone who sells knives on eBay might inadvertently buy, and later resell, one with questionable parentage. Over the course of a several years, it might even happen to the same seller twice. But when one seller offers an almost constant stream of questionable knives, including many which are obviously thrown together from parts, it becomes reasonable, perhaps even prudent, to assume every knife they sell might have something in common with Johnny Cash's "Once Piece At A Time" Cadillac and elect to shop elsewhere.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bluntrauma wrote:Now and again I have seen him sell knives that look okay even if the description is less than accurate. That being said, I will not bid on any of his items because I really get a feeling that most of his knives might not be attained through honest means.

I will third that. I would prefer to support sellers that don't sell questionable items on a very regular basis.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
markg

Post by markg »

The Deacon wrote: But when one seller offers an almost constant stream of questionable knives, including many which are obviously thrown together from parts, it becomes reasonable, perhaps even prudent, to assume every knife they sell might have something in common with Johnny Cash's "Once Piece At A Time" Cadillac and elect to shop elsewhere.
I so forgot about that song!!!

At the time it was popular, most of my mother's family worked for GM making cars. I kept wanting them to do that... However we would have ended up with a Trans Am and not a Cadillac...
THG

Post by THG »

My favorite one was a D4W that was "lightly used but like new." The blade didn't look so, and the clip was all worn out.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

How can you tell it's a knockoff? i woulda been taken in.
rycen

Post by rycen »

That particular knife in the auction link is not a knock off but the seller is well known for selling Spyderco that seem to be put together with a huge bin of parts.That one to me looks okay especially since it is a fairly new knife. The post is just in this section of the forum due to his multiple questionable auctions in the past.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

rycen wrote:That particular knife in the auction link is not a knock off but the seller is well known for selling Spyderco that seem to be put together with a huge bin of parts.That one to me looks okay especially since it is a fairly new knife. The post is just in this section of the forum due to his multiple questionable auctions in the past.
Not to mention that, with travis... there's always the possibility it's a second and the spine was ground down a bit to eliminate the notch. Given some of the other stuff he's sold, I wouldn't put that past him. He is one eBay seller to avoid like the plague, a snake, plain and simple.
Paul
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

This jigged bone Micro Dyad is an example of how Travis operates. Take a really close look at the first photo. Pay particular attention to the spine of the PE blade. Note the small dark spot on it, above and sightly to the left of the Seki City lettering on the tang. Take a close look at the fifth photo as well. The blade closest to the bottom is the PE blade. Note the small dark spot on the side of its spine closest to the SE blade. The listing does not mention it being a second, but I'd bet good money that's exactly what it is.
Paul
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

lol..he is watching this thread. the 5th picture is no longer available..if you are reading this, karma is going to bite you in the a$$ one day in a big way :) .
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

People like this disgust me.

What is so difficult about being an honest and kind person I do not know.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Thank you guys--I was watching, with personal interest, a knife he has listed. Now I'll still watch, but not with intent to own.
araneae

Post by araneae »

If he is watching this thread and a member of the forum, shame on him. Boycott his auctions.

Integrity is being good even if no one is watching.
-Nick

npueppke

Post by npueppke »

On the other hand he has 13,776 feedback, most of which is positive, and most of his items aren't knives and especially aren't Spydies. He also says in his auction terms "please do not assume that we know anything about the item just because we are selling it". I'm not necessarily supporting him and even if they don't know anything about Spyderco you would think that they'd mention the notch in the description, but he does have a lot of satisfied customers....
araneae

Post by araneae »

The problem is many people are not that knowledgeable and would have no idea what the tiny notch meant. For that matter they would not realize that they bought a cobbled together knife made from parts of other knives that would never be covered by a warranty. He may have many "happy" customers, but ignorance is bliss and he's still a turd.

The sheer volume of spydies he sells, and the highly questionable nature of many of them, I don't see how he could not know there was something fishy with them. He sells more used spydies than any seller I've seen.
-Nick

LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

When he says he does not necessarily know what he is selling he is just being disingenuous and covering his ***. Someone who has sold that many knives and is still in business must know what he is doing. And there is no way he can't tell a factory second.
So, yes, he is a turd, and I hope he reads this.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

He knows.
Hes reading this.
Hes a dishonest bastard then.