Possible Collaboration: Kingdom Armory?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Possible Collaboration: Kingdom Armory?

Post by Blerv »

Possible collaboration?

http://www.kingdomarmory.com/

I stumbled upon the Fireant from digging through Fenix Outfitter's site ( /salute Tricod). It looked interesting so I was looked at the website for Kingdom Armory and a couple stood out.

I was the most intrigued by "Bill The Butcher". Strange name but very interesting blade for an utilitarian wharncliffe/sheepsfoot. It would have the coolest profile with that large butcher blade and grooved G10 (folder or a larger fixed blade). Here's a Youtube review with some great pics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T128xVUHPRo

I know some may say it's very Rock Lobster'esque but it doesn't seem so to me. It seems thicker and stouter but I haven't held one.

Sorry if this should be in the off-topic. My intentions were merely brainstorming possible cool future collabs. I'd also love to see something with Southard Knives. ;) ;)
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Cool site. Though I think most of those knives are more tacti-cool than utilitarian, the aesthetics are intriguing. I find it odd that he doesn't list the steel types, RC hardness, bevel degrees, etc. Is there any reason for that?

I think it's awesome that Sal and Co. go for so many collaborations. It really makes Spyderco unique within the knife industry and provides us knife nuts with something new to look forward to.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Agreed, most are definitely tactically oriented (not really my thing). Seems they use 154cm for the cheaper models and S30v for the others (like the one above).

I know some here like using folders for food prep. I could see using this shape well for chopping/mincing by choking up on the choil and using the spine.

As I said, more interesting than anything else. =)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

very cool stuff!

bill the butcher... like in gangs of new york? ;)
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
SOT

Post by SOT »

Yup... like gangs of New York.

All my stuff is in the rockwell range of 58-59, all S30V unless specifically ordered otherwise. I also work in CPM154 and stainless damascus from Chad Nichols and Devon Thomas. I don't list the sharpening angles because it varies from model to model, and from customer to customer. Whatever angle cuts the best... and still holds up well.

To the point of them be Tacti"cool" versus practical..... personal opinion. I design everything first to be absolutely practical. Last year I skinned a Stag, a Ram, 4 deer, and a Mountain Lion with both the Stavesacre and the Blackthorn models.... both proved themselves highly practical. The butcher also made short work of a rattlesnake during a hike last summer.

David M. Rydbom
knifemaker
Kingdom Armory
Ashland, OR
USA
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SOT wrote:Yup... like gangs of New York.

All my stuff is in the rockwell range of 58-59, all S30V unless specifically ordered otherwise. I also work in CPM154 and stainless damascus from Chad Nichols and Devon Thomas. I don't list the sharpening angles because it varies from model to model, and from customer to customer. Whatever angle cuts the best... and still holds up well.

To the point of them be Tacti"cool" versus practical..... personal opionion. I design everything first to be absolutely practical. Last year I skinned a Stag, a Ram, 4 deer, and a Mountain Lion with both the Stavesacre and the Blackthorn models.... both proved themselves highly practical. The butcher also made short work of a rattlesnake during a hike last summer.

David M. Rydbom
knifemaker
Kingdom Armory
Ashland, OR
USA
Wow thanks for the revival David! Glad you stumbled upon this :)

Your designs are amazing. Some more tactical oriented but they seem like they would work very well for other tasks. The Stavesacre is the sexiest modified clip point (hope that's an accurate description) I've ever seen and other ones like the Butcher, Harpoon, and Fireant are simply unique.

I would die to see a full-size version of the Fireant in the tactical hawk size because we all know the zombie apocalypse isn't a "if" but rather a "when". :D

I assume collaborations are a sensitive subject for all parties included and wanted to tread lightly with this one. I'm sure both yourself and Spyderco are quite busy with your own schedules.

Take care.
SOT

Post by SOT »

Did one of you guys mention a folder version of the Butcher? Spydie hole used under license of course.

This is the prototype.

.180" Ti framelock with a heavy CC job
.160 S30V blade
Everything stonewashed
OD Green G10 - sculpted texture scale

OAL open 6.5"
closed 4"
2.5" cutting edge - 3" from tip to bottom front of scale

I stuck a regular style Ti clip on it, but I also have a lowrider clip.... can't decide which one I like better? The regular style one that's on it kinda doubles as an overtravel ... which is why I haven't countersunk the pivot screw on the Ti side yet. Might add a shield overtravel at some point. Decisions, decisions....

Dave Rydbom
Knifemaker
Kingdom Armory, knives
http://www.kingdomarmory.com
Attachments
P1100296.jpg
P1100296.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
P1100297.jpg
P1100297.jpg (82.65 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
P1100303.jpg
P1100303.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
P1100298.jpg
P1100298.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

That's a really nice knife - almost Higonokami-like in blade shape :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Sweet stuff Dave!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SOT wrote:Did one of you guys mention a folder version of the Butcher? Spydie hole used under license of course.

This is the prototype.

.180" Ti framelock with a heavy CC job
.160 S30V blade
Everything stonewashed
OD Green G10 - sculpted texture scale

OAL open 6.5"
closed 4"
2.5" cutting edge - 3" from tip to bottom front of scale

I stuck a regular style Ti clip on it, but I also have a lowrider clip.... can't decide which one I like better? The regular style one that's on it kinda doubles as an overtravel ... which is why I haven't countersunk the pivot screw on the Ti side yet. Might add a shield overtravel at some point. Decisions, decisions....

Dave Rydbom
Knifemaker
Kingdom Armory, knives
http://www.kingdomarmory.com
Whoa!!! Yea I did but was just dreamin :)

Is that going to be regular production? I think I have to pawn my TV! Lol
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

That's a wild looking knife but I like it. About how much would one of those run in 154cm.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

SOT that is an amazing knife you posted, I love the color of that green G10
In omnia paratus
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

I want that... bad. :o
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

That folding butcher looks great! It has styling cues that remind me of 4 or 5 great designers (Wilkins, Breeden, Frank, Hinderer, and someone else maybe?) while still being original and unique in its own right. One of the really standout functional and aesthetically intriguing folders of recent memory for me. I'm curious as to the intent of the kind of point/hump on the tip-side of the spine. Would like to know more about the design if plausible. A seriously eye-drawing and IMO truly beautiful design.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
SOT

Post by SOT »

Hey Guys, thanks for the enthusiastic thumbs up!

The folding butcher ... or BtB-F .... is a progression of my Bill the Butcher design. There is a regular Bill, an XL, a TAD XL version, a mini butcher, and now the folding model.

I'm am going to be making this folder a regular within my product lineup. With that said... all sorts of things can be changed obviously, as I make each knife one at a time. I'm just a one horse custom guy... no outsourcing or production models. As for price... this folder, like all my other folders start at $575. Running about 4 or 5 months out right now on new orders...

Anyway, as far as the reason for this design. I thought it looked cool, and was a memorable blade shape. It carries all the design elements that I think are important in my other blades...ie: Offset blade to handle orientation, hollow grind, a prominent tip for detailed cutting, and the scallop cut from the spine... which is a natural placement for your thumb when using it in a choked up postion. The scallop is also there to help distribute the force straight down into the material you're splitting if you're using the knife for battoning. I left the prominent nose up front on this design as a strike point for breaking glass, etc...

Cheers... and happy 4th to you all!
Dave Rydbom
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

Wow Dave! Very cool as a folding knife. I think it translates quite well. The blade shape really "does it" for me. I hope it is a success for you.

Happy 4th to you and yours. Fun and safe...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

In the league of customs that's very reasonable. I'm speaking of my imaginary budget of course as the tangible one is lacking these days. :(

I just checked out your main site. The folders and the dog tag neck knife are new. Very cool stuff! Thank you for bringing our attention to your recent works.

Not speaking for everyone else...I would love to see a bug emblem on a production piece someday. :) Really any of them!
potterma

Post by potterma »

I'm loving the Butcher-F, Dave :cool:

Keep up the good work!
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

The Butcher, as depicted in the video, is great, cool, excellent, etc.
I want one. How do I buy it now?

-Joe
SOT

Post by SOT »

I don't want to step on Sal's toes here in his own house. For more info, etc... you guys can contact me directly through the contact form on my website.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!
Dave