Cobra Hood

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Cobra Hood

Post by Blerv »

Anyone want more of these?

I'm a Spydie Newb and never got the chance to get one or try one out. Seems like a cool concept and a nice look.

Thoughts, snake jokes, anything? ;)
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Blerv wrote:Anyone want more of these?

I'm a Spydie Newb and never got the chance to get one or try one out. Seems like a cool concept and a nice look.

Thoughts, snake jokes, anything? ;)
The Cobra Hood was snakebitten, as it never caught on.

I really liked it, as I felt it gave me more flexibility in opening the blade. Others, though, complained it made the blade too easy to open. All good, just different (as the saying goes).
Free Radical

Post by Free Radical »

The Assist still has a cobra hood.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HONESTY COMMUNICATION ACCURACY SPEED[/CENTER]
[CENTER] "Spyderco proudly sets the standard in cutlery and other markets by delivering innovative, reliable, high-performance products. We always extend our best effort to conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. Our success is measured by making money and having fun."[/CENTER]
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Yep I love it, however I don't think it's the greatest idea on tip up carry models.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Read Yab's comments on unintended "wave"-like openings in a recent post. I have an ATR Ti and Salsa Ti and have never had that happen, but I have had it happen with an Emerson in a shirt pocket and it is very, shall we say, alarming.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

The horrid clip on the Atr is the only reason mine hasn't ever really been carried. That will all change soon with some upcoming customization... tip down carry and a new scale ;)

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

I think it would be nice to have it on salts and rescues
War is mostly waiting.
Hammurabi

Post by Hammurabi »

I would LOVE to see a Salsa sprint run in any current Spyderco steel and would even be happy to see it in either of the Byrd steels.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Offtopic somewhat, but it'd be neat to see a design that allowed for both the cobra hood and Pkal-style wave with choice at the user's discretion.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

brandonreed2008 wrote:I think it would be nice to have it on salts and rescues

It is available on the Assists (~ Rescue), fwiw.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have never owned a knife with the hood. I have wondered if it ever interferes with cutting. I would like to pick up a Salsa to try it out, but they are hard to find in PE.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Overall, the cobra hood was pretty cool. But I found its edges scraped my hand when I reached into my jeans pocket for change. Maybe I should just lose some weight so the jeans wouldn't be so tight :)
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

JNewell wrote:It is available on the Assists (~ Rescue), fwiw.
Yeah I had one. It really helps when wearing thick gloves!
War is mostly waiting.
v8r

Post by v8r »

jezabel wrote:Yep I love it, however I don't think it's the greatest idea on tip up carry models.

Jez
This is very true.The Salsa does not have enough closing detent and has opened partially in my pocket numerous times.My ATR I used to have would wave open also.I would buy another ATR if Spyderco ever made a sprint run without the hood(liked the clip also).
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

I like it on my Ti ATR. Didn't really get the objections to it myself, but that's just my view on it.
EarthDog
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

i love how it feels when holding the open knife. however as others have said... with the poor retention on the compression lock of the salsa its not a good combo. i would love to see it on a new model with a back lock. however, i just took the clip off the salsa and tightened my pivot a good bit (barely flickable) and drop it in the back pocket and its perfect now.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

I really appreciate the cobra hood on my ATR when I'm wearing work gloves. I spent (too) many days putting together a swing set with the ATR clipped to my rear jeans pocket and I never had trouble using it with gloved hands.

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

LMAO
Ok when I saw this title I thought I was in the off topic forum and someone was asking about a Hood for a Mustang Cobra.....
:eek: :rolleyes: :p
:D
Vic
jonUSA,EARTH

Post by jonUSA,EARTH »

v8r wrote:This is very true.The Salsa does not have enough closing detent and has opened partially in my pocket numerous times.
Huh? The detent on my Salsa is the best I've ever had, it even goes so far as to snap closed.I guess models differ...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JD Spydo

completely misunderstood, A great addition for outdoor blades

Post by JD Spydo »

I actually miss the old Cobra Hood device myself. I've longed for a Ti ATR for a user simply because I think that blade could be an excellent outdoor fixed blade capable of major fixed blade jobs in a folder. The Ti ATR is truly my favorite folder with the Cobra Hood. I think it would bode well in a belt sheath and it's really not suited for an EDC folder. But the Cobra Hood gives great advantages for adding extra leverage and makes a great thumb rest.

I still keep my ASSIST I model handy in my vehicle and I find that the cobra hood makes in incredibly easy to open and would give me quick access in an emergency situation.

The Cobra Hood never really got a fair trial in my opinion. If I ever land a User TI ATR you can be sure that it would accompany me on many work or outdoor jobs.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!