How many have the 52100 Mule, and need handles?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Marion David Poff
Banned

How many have the 52100 Mule, and need handles?

Post by Marion David Poff »

Good Day,

I am not speaking on behalf of anyone, just interested....

How many are there, that have the 52100 Mule, that need handles? And would buy them, if available?

And what sort of material would you like to see?

I have one.

Marion
Marion David Poff
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I don't recall what model # my mule is, but I'd love to get some handles for it.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It depends on the price. Too much makes it not worth it. For the right price I could buy up too two of each mule. I'm not looking for high quality ironwood, or other such show pieces, just cheap handles that don't have any hot spots. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Scales aren't the issue IIRC - it's finding the right hardware. I may not have looked hard enough, it was a while back. I enlarged the holes in the tang and used standard hardware.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JNewell wrote:Scales aren't the issue IIRC - it's finding the right hardware. I may not have looked hard enough, it was a while back. I enlarged the holes in the tang and used standard hardware.
Think that's why he asked specifically about the 52100 version, it takes different hardware from the rest.

As for me, I have a 52100 Mule and, depending on available materials and cost, might be interested in purchasing a set. My first choice would be wood. Pretty much anything from very light, like Masur Birch, to fairly dark brown, like Desert Ironwood, as long as it has a nice grain or figure. Might go for Micarta, Dymondwood, or even G-10, depending on color and finish.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:Think that's why he asked specifically about the 52100 version, it takes different hardware from the rest.

As for me, I have a 52100 Mule and, depending on available materials and cost, might be interested in purchasing a set. My first choice would be wood. Pretty much anything from very light, like Masur Birch, to fairly dark brown, like Desert Ironwood, as long as it has a nice grain or figure. Might go for Micarta, Dymondwood, or even G-10, depending on color and finish.
That's why my answer suggests that he might be asking the wrong question. The issue isn't special scales, it's getting the right hardware.

The tang is the same dimensions, so if you open up the holes in the tang you can use standard hardware.

I don't recall finding any standard hardware that would work. In order to avoid modifying the tang, you'd have to identify the hardware and its dimensions before you could make the scales work, which would be only a matter of boring the correct size holes in the handle material.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JNewell wrote:That's why my answer suggests that he might be asking the wrong question. The issue isn't special scales, it's getting the right hardware.

The tang is the same dimensions, so if you open up the holes in the tang you can use standard hardware.

I don't recall finding any standard hardware that would work. In order to avoid modifying the tang, you'd have to identify the hardware and its dimensions before you could make the scales work, which would be only a matter of boring the correct size holes in the handle material.
Everything you're saying is true. Opening up the holes is certainly one way of viewing the fitting of scales to a 52100 Mule and it most certainly has the advantage of allowing the scales to be used on any Mule.

However, I was looking at it from the standpoint that not everyone has the equipment and talent to drill out the holes in the Mule's handle, and the size fitting needed for it seem more difficult to find. I could be wrong, but my thought was, and still is, that the OP is "testing the waters" for interest in a set of scales complete with hardware sized specifically for the 52100 Mule.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I've got one of the 52100 Mules, but it's got a handle.

Gordon
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

The Mastiff wrote:It depends on the price. Too much makes it not worth it. For the right price I could buy up too two of each mule. I'm not looking for high quality ironwood, or other such show pieces, just cheap handles that don't have any hot spots. Joe
My sentiments exactly. In keeping with the Mule theme a low cost Micarta that fits the 52100 would be great.

Same for the other Mules as well, a low cost interchangable set of Micarta or G-10 (no checkering or waves or any of that stuff) to use on the later Mules - I would like be interested in these also.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan, 1985
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:Everything you're saying is true. Opening up the holes is certainly one way of viewing the fitting of scales to a 52100 Mule and it most certainly has the advantage of allowing the scales to be used on any Mule.

However, I was looking at it from the standpoint that not everyone has the equipment and talent to drill out the holes in the Mule's handle, and the size fitting needed for it seem more difficult to find. I could be wrong, but my thought was, and still is, that the OP is "testing the waters" for interest in a set of scales complete with hardware sized specifically for the 52100 Mule.
Send me your 52100 :spyder: :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

JNewell wrote:That's why my answer suggests that he might be asking the wrong question. The issue isn't special scales, it's getting the right hardware.
When I fit my scales I drilled an 1/8" (deep) out of the inside of the handles so that they fit snugly over the threaded coupler. If you had a slimmer coupler that fit the 52100 Mule then the corresponding countersink in the standard scales would be too big and thus the scales would not be as stable.

At least I think that is the point of special scales for the 52100 which presumably come with the slimmer couplers.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Marion David Poff
Banned

I am still trying to get my head around this thread, but...

I still am just trying to find out how many people have Mules in 52100, that need handles...

Marion
Marion David Poff
Marion David Poff
Banned

Bump.

Marion
Marion David Poff
gac

Post by gac »

Depends on price. I am not picky on material. My issue is that I want handles that will fit the sheath. I use the same sheath for both of my mules - 52100 and the 9Cr - and don't want to have to monkey with re-molding my sheath or ordering another.

I am interested in those new scales you have mentioned before but have not gotten around to ordering.
whkento

Post by whkento »

Thanks for asking, but mine already has a handle. :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Mine is paracord wrapped. I'll drill out the holes when I decide to put scales on it. Not in the market now.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sequimite wrote:Mine is paracord wrapped. I'll drill out the holes when I decide to put scales on it. Not in the market now.
Carbide...spade bit...
Marion David Poff
Banned

Bump :)

Marion
Marion David Poff