Blue MeerKat Sprint = Huge Win!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

Blue MeerKat Sprint = Huge Win!!!

Post by clovisc »

i've been carrying my brand new blue-green meerkat (an early xmas present from my girlfriend) for the last handful of days, and i must say, this is one of the best spydie sprints ever. :D

i owned an older AUS-6 MeerKat, and while i loved the ergos, the clip, and the magic lock, i was a snob about the steel, and ended-up selling it. there have been times since that i wish i hadn't. the new meerkat, however, is a great improvement upon the original -- i don't regret selling the old one anymore.

IMPROVEMENTS:

1. VG-10 steel -- i've always felt like the meerkat was a top notch design deserving a top notch steel. the VG-10 in the sprint is a vast improvement over the AUS-6... at least to steel snobs. :D

2. blue scales -- i believe spyderco describes this color as a "blue-green shade of grey." to me, it's very close to patagonia's "aegean sea" -- probably my all-time favorite shade of blue. in my opinion, this is the best FRN color spyderco has used to date. it's different, unique, attractive yet not gaudy, looks GREAT in a pair of jeans, and perhaps most significantly, my girlfriend LOVES it. (if she likes a color, you know it's a good one...). :D bravo, sal! please keep this color coming!

3. flat grind -- the original 'Kats had hollow-ground blades. the flat grind offers improvement in slicing ability, as well as in looks. the gorgeous lines of the leaf-shape of the blade is no visually longer divided by the grind line.

4. spyderbug -- glad to see a little spyderbug on the blade. :D

the original features that made this design so great are still in tact... the fun, functional magic lock (which has great entertainment factor... you'll have a blast confusing the heck out of friends and relatives), the small, strong clip (which makes for VERY discrete carry), the incredible ergos, and the fuctional and stylish FRN scales.

one of the coolest things about this knife is that even though it has so many attractive features, it retails for a very affordable sum... somewhere between $50-60. it's a knife that offers great performance, great looks, unique styling, and attitude... and doesn't hurt a knife knut's wallet. this is important not just because of factors like elevated unemployment levels, consumers being wary about spending, and other recession-related concerns... it's important because there are so many great deals on "close-out" right now. also, many collectors are selling knives off during this rough economic moment... at prices lower than usual... meaning ebay is also full of bargains. in spite of all this, the meerkat is exciting enough to hold it's own, even in such a wild, wacky marketplace.

bravo, spyderco! :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

I just ordered one about ten minutes before you started this thread!
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

I was on the fence, your thread just convinced me to get one before they're gone. I have a feeling I won't regret it.
tkdlaxer

Post by tkdlaxer »

You just cost me $60...an I must say, I'm incredibly excited! :D

This will be my second :spyder: -co
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

seriously -- to me, this knife epitomizes what sprint runs are all about.

-- giving another chance to an older design that was "ahead of it's time"
-- refining and updating an older design
-- testing out something new (new blue FRN color)

the meerkat is an amazing nexus of innovations. the magic lock, the awesome ergos, the interesting/FRN texturing, the new color, and the tiny yet functional deep carry wire clip...
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've got one inbound. Your enthusiasm isn't making the wait any easier. ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
tkdlaxer

Post by tkdlaxer »

Mr Blonde wrote:I've got one inbound. Your enthusiasm isn't making the wait any easier. ;)

Wouter
Yeah how about it. Its a good thing I can't get it until I go home for Winter break anyways.
Spidernoir

Post by Spidernoir »

I received my new Meerkat yesterday. Very nicely done. I ordered a second one right after I received the first one. Here's a plug for a reverse S version. I'd buy at least a couple three if those were made as well.
~Jeff
tkdlaxer

Post by tkdlaxer »

I'm personally glad this version was leaf bladed, I see it being more useful for everyday stuff that way.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Well now I'm glad I ordered one! :p
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
araneae

Post by araneae »

i need some pics! :D
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
tkdlaxer

Post by tkdlaxer »

araneae wrote:i need some pics! :D
If you search the forum there is a thread called MeerKat Pics, haha. It looks wonderful.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Dangit Clovisc.

My brother and I picked up ours yesterday. I hope your happy. :p
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

So, got mine today, its a neat little knife that fits perfectly in my watch pocket. It will most likely see a fair amount of use.

It would have looked great with an upgrade to G10 scales of the same color.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

It says on the website it's 2.5 ounces. Has anybody had a problem with the weight factor?
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

It really is a great knife! As soon as I saw it I said... well crap... there goes my lunch money. Got two :) get these quick folks. They arnt gonna last long if you ask me.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I don't usually buy any knife unless it has at least a 3" blade but I had to get one of these because of the lock. Saw an older one at a shop and the guy handed it to me. I couldn't figure out how to close it. I finally gave up and the guy showed me. :confused:
tradja

Post by tradja »

Ordered one last night before they are gone. The ol' 440C black Meerkat is my wife's favorite knife. She'd be bummed if this Sprint sold out before we got one. Looking forward to the FFG VG-10 and cool blue scales!
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

How solid is the lock on this knife? I mean, if you grip it a certain way, is it easy to unintentionally scissor the sclaes and disable the lock?

is there more vertical and horizontal blade play than your standard lockback?
Spidernoir

Post by Spidernoir »

Shifty wrote:How solid is the lock on this knife? I mean, if you grip it a certain way, is it easy to unintentionally scissor the sclaes and disable the lock?

is there more vertical and horizontal blade play than your standard lockback?
1-I find it nearly impossible to disengage the lock from any position on the handle except for the actual unlocking position.

2-With the two sprints I've just received and my three reverse S versions I have, I've noticed no blade play at all.
~Jeff