Chinese Mule warped?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
raythebigfoot

Chinese Mule warped?

Post by raythebigfoot »

Hey anyone else had problems with warped mules? All 3 of mine that I've received are warped to varying degrees. Not sure what I'm going to do with it to be honest!
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Do you have any pictures of it?
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

We ordered four and I just put them each on a very expensive machinist's straightedge used for setting up machine tools. Each of them is absolutely true. I say this not to argue that some aren't, but to let people know that they shouldn't assume that all of these blades have a problem.
anti-torsion

Post by anti-torsion »

I agree with J, both of mine are straight along with all the ones I saw at the SFO, so trying laying it on something flat, like a piece of glass or a straight edge.

And post pics
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I got two. One was warped slightly, which I noticed when fitting the scales. I haven't checked the other, as it is now wearing a cord wrap. Warping was minor and will in no way affect function. Sorry I can't post a pic, the handle is not only glued up, but shaped, buffed, and ready to go. Pic in Quickbeam's tutorial.

Gordon
Eighth of Eight

Post by Eighth of Eight »

I just got back from the SFO to take back one of my MT05s. The tang was so warped I don't think I could have put its scales on it. If I did it would just have popped them off (like a spring). They replaced it for me. :)

Give Spyderco a call.
:spyder::D:D:spyder:
D'fly PE - D'fly SE - S.P.O.T. PE - '09 Swick - Caly 3 SE - Native DLC SE - Manix 2 SE - Tasman Salt SE - Saver Salt SE - Dodo SE - MT05P - Centofonte 3 - Yin/Yang - Baby Goddard - MT06P -
Swick 2 - '09 Meercat - Superhawk - C101GPBL2 Blue Manix 2
:spyder::D:D:spyder:
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Interesting reports and accounts of late regarding problematic Mule Team knives. Out of the five released so far, the latest two seem to be the ones with the most reported problems (cracking and warping).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The cracks in the ZDP are almost inherent in the nature of the program. It's a test program, and we all (Spyderco included) found out you can't harden a big blade to the same hardness as a small blade.

The warped blades are another story altogether. It does not seem to speak well for the QC at the Chinese plant that made them, unfortunately, and it's going to fuel a huge anti-foreign/anti-Chinese reaction here and at BF, I'll bet...