Review of the Stretch ZDP-189 with carbon fiber.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
805surf

Review of the Stretch ZDP-189 with carbon fiber.

Post by 805surf »

So I thought I'd write some reviews of my knives and what better way to start than to review my new Stretch ZDP in carbon fiber. I just got mine from a certain shoppe online, was very pleased with the service and my new baby came right away.

The Spyderco C90CFPE Stretch ZDP-189 Carbon Fiber Plain Edge

I've read a lot about ZDP-189 and its "mysterious" properties, that it is a steel that supposedly isn't supposed to do what it does. It is classified as an exotic steel and it is not exactly a stainless steel but "something else". Made by Hitachi in Japan, the actual composition of the steel isn't publicly known. All we know is that it has an extremely high amount of chromium (approximately 20%) and a very high amount of carbon for a stainless steel (approximately 3%). The result is a steel that can be hardened to around 67HRC without being too brittle.

The Stretch ZDP is my first blade in ZDP-189. I was a bit apprehensive about buying it at first due to reports of corrosion and difficulty of sharpening. VG-10 is my all-around favorite steel - I just seem to always be able to sharpen it very quickly, it keeps an edge well and I've never seen any of my VG-10 blades stain. My very close second favorite is S30V, although it is a bit tougher to sharpen it holds an edge well and has a "grain" to the edge that is akin to a micro-serration. The first thing I thought when handling the new ZDP blade was "this looks like what would happen if VG-10 and S30V got together and had a baby".

The blade has a satin finish and the metal has a very light copper hue to it. It is difficult to explain the color and finish of the steel, but it is very beautiful. It has a light-moderate grain to it and feels a bit heavy. This steel almost seems to have "soul" and I've been trying to decide if I should EDC this blade or put it on a shelf to admire. One thing is for sure, I scrapped my plans to patina the blade and I will let it happen normally. Upon receiving the knife I immediately took out the stones and put a 30 degree inclusive edge on it. Sharpening took forever, almost twice as long as sharpening S30V and much longer than sharpening VG-10. Once I managed to get a decent edge on it this knife is scary sharp.

The Stretch is a comfortable knife to use and handle. The handle of the knife is thinner than most larger Spyerco folders that I own, with a width of about 3/8". The blade itself is 1/8" wide, has a sort of drop-point and is a full flat grind. The Stretch has the larger 14mm hole which I love, since I have thick fingers and it makes opening the knife much easier. Some people don't like the hole, but I just don't think that a Spyderco is a Spyderco unless it has the hole... and the bigger the better. A matter of personal preference I suppose. The shape and size of the blade allows for a very versatile knife and the tip profile gives it a bit of added
prying strength (although I wouldn't ever recommend prying with a knife).

The majority of the handle's mass is actually stainless steel. I like steel-reinforced handles and I like where Spyderco is going with reinforcing their handles even on previously unreinforced models like the Endura. The added weight just lets me know that my knife is there in my pants - when I can't feel my knife I'm compulsively "looking for it" with my right hand throughout the day. The added reinforcement just gives me more peace of mind and lets me know that this knife is going to be around for a long time and will take many years of beatings. This Stretch weighs in at about 4.5 ounces, giving it a perfect amount of heft for its size. Carbon fiber with a nice grip weave is laid over top of the stainless steel on both sides and each carbon fiber "plate" is approximately 1/8" thick. I like the carbon fiber a lot and it may replace G-10 as my favorite handle material. I would like to see what one of these looks like with the carbon fiber polished.

Here are some pictures of the Stretch. You can see the grip pattern of the handle material and something of the color of the blade.

The familiar hourglass Spyderco clip, easy to get in and out with lanyard hole.

The classic Spyderco hole, with the ZDP-189 blade stamp. Also there's the laser etched Spyderco logo which I love and I wish I had on all of my Spyderco knives.

Here is another picture of the clip side of the Stretch. Notice that it can be carried tip up, tip down and either left or right handed.

The Stretch has a back lock, which is a favorite of mine (tied with the compression lock, which is phenomenal on the Paramilitary).

Here you can see the underside of the handle, the steel reinforcement and the choil grip.

The ZDP-189 stamp.

Here's the Stretch compared with some of my other Spydercos - top to bottom: Military, Manix, Endura, Stretch, Native and Delica.

Again compared with other Spydercos, same order from right to left.

I would highly recommend this knife while you can get it, I am not sure what the
availability of it would be in the future. I obtained it for a very discounted price and am overall very pleased with the Stretch in ZDP and CF. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite knives ever.
Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

Thank you for the excellent review and pics!

I too took advantage of that very good deal and I await mine with great anticipation.

I have been fortunate to get a couple of these carbon fiber models lately and they are fantastic knives. I really hope Spyderco produce more in days to come.

One question: how is the lock up on yours? Any movement?
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Buffalohump wrote:
One question: how is the lock up on yours? Any movement?
Im curious of this too. I'm waiting for my third CF stretch with hopes this one will finally have a solid lockup.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I have had 3 total over the past year. Traded one away.
All have had solid lock up. Zero play any direction.
Thats one of the reasons back locks, mid locks etc.
will never be my favorite lock design.....

Are there reports this model is showing up now with blade play???? :eek:
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice review, thanks for sharing. The Stretch 2 is my favorite utility folder to date in the Spyderco line-up. I really must get a second one with the finer jimping on the spine, mine has the original rougher 'step-tyle' jimping.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
MCM

Post by MCM »

Woa!
I didnt know they changed!
Just checked my back up in the box and it has the fine jimping!
Never even noticed.........
For me, I prefer the larger....... Looks like I traded the wrong one...... :rolleyes:
Here is one of each.
The user is the older model.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks for all the pic's and review. The Stretch is a great all round knife, like it a lot. It was greatly improved by replacing the all metal handles with scales. Though, I think I like the thicker FRN scales and VG10 has long been my favorite.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
805surf

Post by 805surf »

Lockup feels decent on this one - just the teeny tiny bit of upward play that raises the lock like any other back lock I suppose. There is some side to side play though which I did not notice before checking for it. I don't usually perform tasks which involve side pressure so I'll have to investigate this further.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the great review and pics. Indeed a great knife - and the FRN version seems even better :cool:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
805surf

Post by 805surf »

Yeah I'm definitely buying another Stretch in FRN. I just can't bring myself to EDC this one, however the form and function of this knife are outstanding. I can see an FRN Stretch becoming my primary EDC. This thing looks like it can take a Manix-level of beatings but it's not bulky like a Manix.

About the side to side play - I tightened up the pivot screw a bit and that seemed to resolve it. It is still loose enough to "spyderdrop" as well.
firebert

Post by firebert »

great write up on one of my favorite dream knives.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

dialex wrote:the FRN version seems even better :cool:
I disagree although I do carry the VG-10 FRN version more because I wouldn't cry so much if I lost it! ;) :D
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I picked up a used Stretch 2 CF for a great price from a guy I consider a great friend (considering the knives he sells me how can I not) and I must say next to the Superhawk it is the most ergonomic folder I own (the Millie, Manix and Manix 2 are right there as well). The fit and finish on mine is incredible, and after putting on my own 7 degree per side edge (now with slightly fatter microbevel) it is a true utility cutting dream. The steel has a perfect heat treat IMO (it is measured at 64.5 RC), as it sharpens with no burring and gets incredibly sharp, with excellent edge retention. The blade shape looks a bit plain, but it sure does work great and isn't as wide as a lot of my other Spydies which helps it be more maneuverable in cuts than say my Manix 2 CF. It is really hard not to love this knife when you use it. After I get my pre ordered Bradley M4 folder a FRN/ZDP Stretch is in my very near future, as I want to have it sent to Tom Krein for a regrind to a .008-.010" edge. I think that will be a great addition to my lineup, and is one of the best values period in the high performance, high quality cutlery market.

Mike