S90V Mule VS Mule deer sorry no pics

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
usmc1371

S90V Mule VS Mule deer sorry no pics

Post by usmc1371 »

My firends and I went 5 for 5 on mule deer bucks this week and I managed to get the s90v mule in on every one of them. First let me say that when the mule arived I thought it could have been sharper but I used it as it came and I am very impressed. I broke it in with a complete gut job including spliting the sturnum and battoning through the pelvic bone. Used it to remove all four legs at the knee joint and skin the deer. No touch ups to the blade. Helped my little bro skin and remove legs on two more deer, he swears by Knives of alaska and even he was impressed with the edge holding of the s90v, I noticed he was touching up his blade as we went. Finished off the week with another full gut job, pelvic split, sturnum split, leg removal, skinning of the last buck, still no touch ups. Ok it needed a good touch up at this point about ten min with the lansky and its as sharp as when it came.
My mule has a cord handle and cardboard scabard and got a quick wash job every night. No corrision of any kind as far as I can tell. That thing just kept right on cutting like no other blade I have ever used. I was a little unsure how the leaf shape would be for this kind of work but I am sold now it worked very well but it was easy to slice the hide while skinning if I wasn't carefull. I also have a zdp mule but didn't have a chance to use it so I will see if I can get it bloody on my doe hunt next week. I have been hunting deer and elk for 19 years now and have used many diffrent knives and I will say that I don't think that s90v mule will ever leave my hunting pack. It's light, seems to hold an edge forever, the blade shape works better than expected, it is just an outstanding knife. (plus its way easier to sharpen than the knives of alaska D2)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Good real world experience with S90V! I'm not sure I will use my mule for field dressing this year, but I use my S90V mule everyday. I have had very good results as well. Let us know how your doe season hunt goes.

Take care,

Doug
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I've used my S90V Mule as a draw knife for some woodworking. I was impressed with the edge holding exhibited through that. However, I think I need to improve the edge angle & polish, as I had some tear-out issues.

I can relate to the issue of the blade not quite feeling sharp, but still having a quite useful edge. It's the reason I did some sharpening on it before the woodworking. I really should experiment more into the high-grit stones I have to see how far I can get the edge.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I find S90V to have AMAZING edge retention the CF manix 2 came perfectly sharpened and only needed a touch up after i slammed it into a metal trash can and made a burr in the edge. Then i made the mistake of trying to cut a steel belt tire with it and that didn't go so well. Had to reprofile it with a coarse stone but now i can't get it razor again. This stuff sharpens easy when the stock angle is maintained but if you lose it you have to work to get it back. The S90V mule i just got holds a great edge as well and i'll carry it for EDC til i get my S90V manix back up to spec
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

You know I have two S90V military and one mule. Two of the three had that not so sharp feeling (feminine product commercial pun). So that prompted me to lightly sharpen with fine ceramic rods.

The other military was scary sharp out of the box, so I guess its the luck of the draw. (the scary sharp one is my backup)
...oh you know why!
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Here's a S90V Mule that will be used by a great friend this year to hunt elk and sheep. Just waiting on a sheath from Vadim for it.

WTC #1455
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

jimbo@stn24 wrote:Here's a S90V Mule that will be used by a great friend this year to hunt elk and sheep. Just waiting on a sheath from Vadim for it.

Simply Stunning.

Marion
Marion David Poff
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Thanks for the kind words Marion.

Thought the marines thread could use a pic.

When I spotted that piece of Koa, kinda thought I should take it home. As soon as Dave saw it, that's what he wanted on his Mule.
WTC #1455
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

That is some fantastic Koa! I think I need to order some right now!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

jimbo@stn24 wrote:Here's a S90V Mule that will be used by a great friend this year to hunt elk and sheep. Just waiting on a sheath from Vadim for it.

That is by far the nicest Mule I've seen - beautiful wood and beautifully designed! If your friend doesn't like it I'll be shocked. Beautiful!

- best wishes, Jazz.