MT05P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring 9Cr18Mo

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i don't know why nobody mentioned this but what about a really nice set of steak knives. (I know, no serrations but that in turn would help out your sharpening skills :D )
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

As I understand it, the Mule knives do not include handle material or sheaths. Do most of you plan to just wrap the handle in paracord, or do you know of a good source for getting micarta or G10 or other handle material in small quantities, and kydex (I'm not planning on going into business making handles and sheaths!). I guess I could use wood for the handle...
Eighth of Eight

Post by Eighth of Eight »

I order my 3/8" scales from Ebay mostly. You can also get lumber of all thicknesses from woodworking shops. G-10 and micarta can also be ordered on the 'bay or from online stores like knifekits.com. A few files/sand paper, some adhesive, pins, and a vise is really all you need.
:spyder::D:D:spyder:
D'fly PE - D'fly SE - S.P.O.T. PE - '09 Swick - Caly 3 SE - Native DLC SE - Manix 2 SE - Tasman Salt SE - Saver Salt SE - Dodo SE - MT05P - Centofonte 3 - Yin/Yang - Baby Goddard - MT06P -
Swick 2 - '09 Meercat - Superhawk - C101GPBL2 Blue Manix 2
:spyder::D:D:spyder:
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

About to get me some mules tomorrow!

First time owning a mule.
Come Join Us Click Here
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm stoked about this one. My budget kept me out of a couple of these, and I missed the 52100 sale, but I plan to get a couple of these to play with tomorrow. good stuff!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

rodloos wrote:As I understand it, the Mule knives do not include handle material or sheaths. Do most of you plan to just wrap the handle in paracord, or do you know of a good source for getting micarta or G10 or other handle material in small quantities, and kydex (I'm not planning on going into business making handles and sheaths!). I guess I could use wood for the handle...
The knifemaking supply houses can set you up with all the supplies you need.

I have worked with .... http://www.midwestknifemakers.com/, I just ordered some Boltaron/Concealex from them. I have had good experiences.

I ordered from http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php once, and they do a good business.

I know the rest only through reputation, and the websites are not always the best.... But they will send you a catalog if you like.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

http://www.jantzsupply.com/

http://www.sheffieldsupply.com/

http://www.knifeandgun.com/

https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.php?o ... e&Itemid=1

Marion
Marion David Poff
JLS

Post by JLS »

Starting the countdown...
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

2 hours to go!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

We're live! It's up.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Got my order in!
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Got mine ordered!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've got mine on the way as well! What a bargain!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I couldn't help myself, I ordered 4 of them to qualify for free shipping, guess I'll get plenty of practice making handles and sheaths!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Getting a few. There's goes all my free time...
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
JLS

Post by JLS »

I ordered 4 for myself, but 3 are going to be Christmas gifts. I'm content to have just one of each for myself, though a few more "too hard" ZDP Mules would be tempting.

I also spread the word amongst friends and co-workers who I've told about the Mule Team project and have shown interest, but the S90V and the ZDP Mules were a bit pricey for them. I hope to make some converts out of at least a few of them. Two of the guys are full-fledged tool and die machinists, so I'm interested in what they end up doing. They've also expressed interest in starting from scratch and making a knife, so there are some serious possibilities here.

Just waiting for my shipping confirmation now.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Just got my shipping confirmation. :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Got my four ordered. I'm anxious to try out this steel. Everyone seems happy with the 8CR13 Tenacious and Byrds, so the 9CR18 will probably be great.

I guess because it's cheap and Chinese I'll feel a little leery until I start cutting with it.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
rodloos

Comparable to which other steels?

Post by rodloos »

According to the first post in this thread, the Mule's steel (9Cr18Mo)
reaches a HRc of 58-62
Does anyone have an idea how that might compare to other steels Spyderco uses? I guess the quality of the heat-treat would make a difference? I'm just curious if it would come out similar to say VG10, or possible even better edge-retention. Anyone going to send their knife off to actually be tested for the achieved hardness? :)

I don't want to come off as a "steel snob" since I've had some older knives without the "fancy" steels that I've been pretty happy with, and my sharpmaker seems to do a good job with them. I just don't really know how to read tables of ingredients in a steel and relate that to actual performance. I don't expect it to be as hard as the ZDP189 mule (which I only know of by reputation since I don't have one).
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'll be hardness testing my bunch when they come in. I believe gunmike also has some access to a hardness tester. I'll be reporting back once I've tested.

I don't think I'd expect quite VG-10 level performance. It's makeup is very similar to AUS-10 and 440C. As a comparison for most Spyderco fans, I'd expect a tiny bit better edge-holding than the old AUS-8 or ATS-55 blades. The main concerns I have with the Chinese steel is cleanliness and consistency from batch to batch. I do have to admit that I've been very impressed with the 8Cr13MoV so far. Also, Spyderco has done a very good job at setting the quality standards they expect and making sure the Chinese suppliers adhere to those standards. That is no small feat.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

ABX2011 wrote:Just got my shipping confirmation. :)
Ditto. I'm guessing they cancelled all leaves, called in the overflow staff, etc., after the last rush for the Forum Native? :eek: :) :o