MT04P – ZDP-189 Mule Update

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

JNewell wrote:This is humor, yes? I assume so and apologize for asking, but it's hard to tell sometimes, even with the little emoticons.
Sorry, yes. I was trying to use the heaviest sarcasm I could. I figured the individuals who were pointing fingers at the "ignorant" members who broke their mules because they "used them incorrectly" might have some difficulty using the same argument against Mr. Krein and his 20% blade failure rate.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Padawan wrote:Sorry, yes. I was trying to use the heaviest sarcasm I could. I figured the individuals who were pointing fingers at the "ignorant" members who broke their mules because they "used them incorrectly" might have some difficulty using the same argument against Mr. Krein and his 20% blade failure rate.
I thought so - but ya never know. You did a very convincing job of laying it down in a thiiiiiick layer! :D :eek:
CaptainBeaky

Post by CaptainBeaky »

Aha!

Enlightenment dawns at Chateau Beaky :)

Yes, my ZDP Mule broke :(

And to forestall Mr Mastiff - I treated it as I would a needle file, being aware of the hardness, not dropping it, hitting it, bending it, etc.
And yes, I have contacted W&R first - they immediately replied saying they would send a replacement, without seeing the original - which I think is pretty ****' good service.

Putting the scales on went swimmingly, and looked (to my eyes at least) pretty good.

Then came the Making Of The Sheath - all went OK up to the wet-moulding stage. The Mule was greased up with silicone grease and wrapped in clingfilm, as is my wont with these things - pushed into the sheath, moulded and left overnight.
Removed the Mule in the morning, took off the clingfilm and cleaned off the grease.
And there was what I now know to the "the tension crack from the hole to the edge".

(Sorry for the big pic). EDIT - resized

I was starting to get worried that the replacement had got lost en route - I now realise that the testing/re-manufacture/whatever may be putting a bit of a crimp in things, in which case that's fine, now I know about it.

Personally, I'd rather have the non-super-hard version, as I was planning on using it hard, rather than having it as a drawer queen - I don't buy any knives I don't use.

The 52100 Mule, incidentally, has survived being loaned out around our Scout Troop while I have been teaching them how to carve spoons :rolleyes: with nary a chip or dent in the edge. Just needed a quick strop after each session.

Now looking forward to the replacement ZDP Mule arriving, and looking in the box of bits - ebony? Buffalo horn? Linen micarta? Elm? Hmmmm......
MCM

Post by MCM »

Save the wood.........

Any word from Sal on what we should do with the NIB ZDP Mules's
we have for down the road use?
I have over 1/2 dozen Mules awaiting scales, so it could be yrs till I get to these.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

And to forestall Mr Mastiff -
What's with you guys? A bit insecure maybe?

To be clear:

1) no, I didn't believe it broke with the same force it takes to break a pencil. I still don't believe it, and yes, several pencils were destroyed in this effort. ( you guys should send me replacements BTW)

2) I tried 3 times to get the guy to contact W&R, as until they get it and look at it all the posting in the world doesn't solve that problem.

3) Not all steels are for all users. If you don't like ZDP at RC 65-67, don't whine, just ask for your money back. From W&R BTW, not the forum.

Not all of you can be manley men with ZDP like me. ( Wussies! ) :)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
CaptainBeaky

Post by CaptainBeaky »

The Mastiff wrote:What's with you guys? A bit insecure maybe?
Irony does not, in fact, mean "what steel is like". ;)

1) no, I didn't believe it broke with the same force it takes to break a pencil. I still don't believe it, and yes, several pencils were destroyed in this effort. ( you guys should send me replacements BTW)
The pencils are obviously faulty, so send them back to the manufacturer for a refund or replacement.
2) I tried 3 times to get the guy to contact W&R, as until they get it and look at it all the posting in the world doesn't solve that problem.
He admitted that he didn't speak English and was working through the Google translator (IIRC) - it came across to me (as a non-participant) that some of your conversation (in both directions) was getting lost in translation. Google isn't a technical translator - in fact it struggles at the best of times - try translating some of the conversation into Russian and then back to English and see what it looks like :p
3) Not all steels are for all users. If you don't like ZDP at RC 65-67, don't whine, just ask for your money back. From W&R BTW, not the forum.
I would like one at whatever is the optimum hardness, like it says on the tin. I am waiting for the replacement promised by W&R, as I said ;) (and now waiting a little more patiently, now I know what is going on :cool :)

Not all of you can be manley men with ZDP like me. ( Wussies! ) :)
I cower in awe at your manliness :eek:

(this is irony again - it's like sarcasm, but with better table manners :D )
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I cower in awe at your manliness
Without doubt, you do. You are also new, unless you are using a new login. I don't feel much respect for you, your table manners, or your needless arguments. I guess I'll just put you on ignore. FYNG
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
CaptainBeaky

Post by CaptainBeaky »

Are you always this friendly, or are you making a special effort? :rolleyes:

Take a deep breath, count to 10 and try to not take yourself quite so seriously. Oh, and try decaff instead ;)
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Boys, let's not necessitate the involvement of moderators.

"If you've got an issue with the knife, talk to W&R." That's crystal clear, and from what I understand has been the procedure for everyone in this thread who's been posting about broken knives. Nobody's talking about lawsuits, nobody's trashing the company name or the names of anyone involved.

W&R doesn't need customers (afi or not) sticking up for them with hostile remarks. They've responded to the problems. Let's leave shiny footprints, please.
—Daniel Jackson
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Back on topic: I think it's pretty clear that the stressed-out mules aren't going to be good for much beyond light service as a razor. Seriously, any of the straights I've worked with have more flexibility than that.
I wonder if they missed a temper cycle somehow? This might be the as-hardened state... very interesting.

(in any case, I'm still very much interested in the hardest one they find... I just won't be putting it in any clamps, belt sheath-carry, kitchen duty...)
—Daniel Jackson
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

Mines due back from Tom Krein any day now. I plan on using it on my next camping/hunting trip. We'll see how it holds up.