MT04P – ZDP-189 Mule Update

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
JacksonKnives

dibs

Post by JacksonKnives »

Joshua J. wrote:Mastiff is only taking the 67Rc knives, I want the ones that test at 68Rc!
Or anything above normal.

Knives tested individually for hardness, ohh this is gonna be good.
Dibs on the hardest one they find. :D
—Daniel Jackson
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I think this might be the first Spyderco product where the factory seconds are going to be valued more than the ones that pass the rockwell QC checks (Assuming the too-hard ones are going to be made available). :)
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

I'd like one of the harder ones too! :p

I don't use my knives as substitutes for axes, prybars, screwdrivers, etc. I use them to cut things with! :) :)

Rc 67,68,69 etc. would be just fine with me! :p
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

While we're on the topic of hard steel, we need a Mule in CPM Rex 76 at 69 Rc (it can go higher too!).
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I had a dream last night that I had my ZDP Mule Rockwell tested and it was 79 on the C scale. I woke up and wasn't sure what to think.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:I had a dream last night that I had my ZDP Mule Rockwell tested and it was 79 on the C scale. I woke up and wasn't sure what to think.
Don't worry, those sorts of dreams are quite normal. Nothing to be ashamed of. all a part of becoming a man and so forth.
—Daniel Jackson
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I really hope Sal doesn't do away with these knives. The one I have is a superb thoroughbred and something you rarely see, even in the world of expensive customs. Sal can sell these with disclaimers or even waivers if he desires, just sell them.
"Mr. President, if I may speak freely, the Russkie talks big, but frankly, we think he's short of know how. I mean, you just can't expect a bunch of ignorant peons to understand a machine like some of our boys" General "Buck" Turgidson: Dr.Strangelove
:)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Better still, if they're sold as factory seconds, we can get them for cheap. :D

Though I'd almost rather pay full price and help ensure the survival of the Mule Team program.
If this thing keeps going, we'll have an unheard of collection of steel types. Another first for both Spyderco and the human race.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I think I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for an original run example on EBay.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Tom Krien called me yesterday to say that my ZDP-189 mule broke while he was putting scales on it. He also said it happened to two of the ten ZDP mules he's been working on. He's planning on sending all of them back to Spyderco as a 20% failure rate is unacceptable.

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
MCM

Post by MCM »

So this will be known as the cord wrap model? LOL LOL

Have (2) NIB, What to do? What to do? .................
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

Wrap them both, use one, and stash one?

I wrapped mine, worked out pretty well, but I still need a sheath for it.
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
usmc1371

Post by usmc1371 »

So what you are saying is maybe I shouldn't beat my zdp mule through the pelvic bone of the mule deer I plan on shooting next week? I am bummed now. I had such great success with the S90V mule on the last deer hunt. I was all stoked to give the ZDP a real workout.

Now I have to figure out what to do with a scary sharp fixed blade... :)

I am glad I noticed this post I really would have felt like a dumbass if I broke the only zdp mule I may ever get.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

MCM wrote:So this will be known as the cord wrap model? LOL LOL

Have (2) NIB, What to do? What to do? .................
In all seriousness, if the handle breaks while in use your hand could be badly injured. I wonder if a different method of handle construction could solve this problem, like epoxying on ti scales.

edit - or how about cutting the blades off two 9Cr18Mo mules and sandwiching the ZDP mule between them.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm not an engineer but I'd be tempted to trust Spyderco with the hardness assessment. At a point, hardness like all things in life is a diminish scale of returns trading strength for brittleness. Backing the hardness back and losing a smidgen of edge retention is much better than losing a blade or having it chip like obsidian while your trying to put an edge back on it.

Just because steel in sub-30 F temperatures becomes hard doesn't make it better. It also becomes as brittle as glass.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The Mastiff wrote:I really hope Sal doesn't do away with these knives.
Part of me kinda hopes he does. If he decides to release them back into the wild, there will always be those customers who purchase one, break it and end up with a negative opinion of Spyderco quality.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Jay_Ev wrote:Part of me kinda hopes he does. If he decides to release them back into the wild, there will always be those customers who purchase one, break it and end up with a negative opinion of Spyderco quality.
This is why they won't be sold as seconds. Seconds are knives that have blemishes or surface flaws, not knives that are too hard & stand a chance of breaking under normal use. It would be cool if they were re-released somehow for mule team steel fanatics, though.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

iwolf81 wrote:Tom Krien called me yesterday to say that my ZDP-189 mule broke while he was putting scales on it. He also said it happened to two of the ten ZDP mules he's been working on. He's planning on sending all of them back to Spyderco as a 20% failure rate is unacceptable.

Regards,
Ira
Well, we all know that the broken knives were the result of user error! If only this Tom Krein fellow knew how to properly handle a knife, they obviously never would have broken. There's no possible way it could be caused by an issue with the knives themselves. :rolleyes:

Sorry Taz, I was just attempting to highlight the absurdity of some of the unfounded comments certain members have made regarding this topic.
MCM

Post by MCM »

This will probably be the most sought after Mule of the run.

Collectors will be clamoring for the one that was just too hard....

:p
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Padawan wrote:Well, we all know that the broken knives were the result of user error! If only this Tom Krein fellow knew how to properly handle a knife, they obviously never would have broken. There's no possible way it could be caused by an issue with the knives themselves. :rolleyes:

Sorry Taz, I was just attempting to highlight the absurdity of some of the unfounded comments certain members have made regarding this topic.
This is humor, yes? I assume so and apologize for asking, but it's hard to tell sometimes, even with the little emoticons.