Where are the MULE reports ??

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
dogrunner

Where are the MULE reports ??

Post by dogrunner »

So, you have been buying mules, using them and comparing them. What have you found ?

Where are the mule reports :) There have been 4 different steels so far (if I remember correctly), and they've been in ELUs hands for a while, so there should be enough basis for comparison, right ?

What have you used it / them for , how are they holding up, what are your thoughts on how they compare ?

If you have not used it/them, what's the hold up !!!
I confess I am a slacker - I have 2 and don't carry them much because I still lack safe sheaths. I tend to use the knife in my pocket, so have not spent much time with them because they don't go in my pocket. I know that is lame, but my to-do list is fairly long and it is so much easier to just carry my D4 and paramil... :rolleyes:

But some of you are surely hard-core knife testers, so what have you found so far ? Just curious.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My use is pretty informal and the results I've had tended to be generalized , subjective things confirming what I already knew.

Example: Of all the "supersteels" CPM M4 is the one I can get the best edge on in the least amount of time. It seems like everything I've done has worked, and made it sharper. I love this stuff. Also, it doesn't rust as bad as a lot of people think.

etc. Not real scientific, I admit.

52100 reaffirms that bearing steels can make good blades. Very easy to sharpen. Takes great edges, and has good edge stability for a "high carbon" steel. Super easy to touch up. A classic steel for skinning blades for these reasons. Yes, it will rust. The finish has a lot to do with the rust factor. Near mirror polished, it will do pretty well.

ZDP: Amazing mule, breathtakingly sharp out of the box. I want more!

S90V: A true super steel that doesn't need high polished edges to cut. I am just as happy with it at 1000 to 2000 grit as I can be. Not as bad to sharpen as talk would have you believe.

Etc:

I also don't have time, or energy to do real objective, scientific testing. It doesn't lessen my enjoyment though. I think the mule team program is one of the best ideas in the industry ever. I hope it continues.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
usmc1371

Post by usmc1371 »

If things go good next weekend I should be taking apart a couple Mule deer with an S90V and zdp mule. I let you know how it goes.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

usmc1371 wrote:If things go good next weekend I should be taking apart a couple Mule deer with an S90V and zdp mule. I let you know how it goes.
Good luck on the venison quest. Have you ever processed a deer (elk/moose/etc) with either of these steels before and if so, how did the edge hold up ?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Stay away from the bones with the ZDP.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"