FRN Dragonfly research - need input

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
THG

Post by THG »

I have a Delica 4 and a Native. I have to say that I've always liked the liners in the D4 and disliked the lack thereof in the Native.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Ted

Post by Ted »

Without having held a production G-10 DF, it looks like the jimping is a bit 'coarse'. It would be great if it was like the LBK3's. Personally, I don't think jimping on the choil is necessary. When I hold my FRN DF, slipping on the choil feels less a problem as on the spine.

Please keep it lightweight, thus no liners. Perhaps a steel (perforated?)backspacer to hold the wireclip like the G-10 model. The position of the wireclip combined with the lanyard hole looks great on the G-10.

A shorter regular hour-glass clip, that just fits over the first rim of a jeans pocket would be good as well, with the lanyard hole in the clip as on the Delica'.s

As someone showed in another thread, some small grooves in the FRN to 'hold' the end of the wire clip would solve my biggest issue with wireclips. (not enough pressure and sliding.

The 'fatter' part near the pivot on the clipside of the current FRN DF can go as well IMHO.

Please keep the grind and swedge. The choil could be a bit deeper, maybe 0.5 or 1mm. The rest of the ergonomics are perfect in my opinion.

About steel and color, Black FRN with VG-10, Yellow FRN with H-1 and Blue FRN with ZDP-189 would make me a very happy guy. :-)

Ted
alexvzin

Post by alexvzin »

I'm also think that steel nested liners is overkill for such knife. If you want more strength and weight there will be G10 version.
As for a clip - I think that UKPK style wire clip would be nice.
J.B

Post by J.B »

I have a Dragonfly etched and like it very much. It´s not too heavy with strong spring, fit and finish are excellent, no play, couldn´t be better. The bevel on the spine not only looks good but is also still usable for pressure cuts, great job, Ed Schempp.

I love the Delica 4 screw construction and also the Delica 3 light weight construction which was and is strong enough. so a D´fly either way would be fine with me. But if it were the linerless version, it would not be much of a progress.

Of course, the bidirectional texture of the Delica/Endura 4 and jimpings would increase the performance.

Nevertheless, to carry a one-handed D´fly would be basically illegal in Germany. That´s why I hope there will be at least a small amount of new two-handed D´flys with small Functionless Trademark Spyderhole.

JB
We need locking :spyder: folders, at least a D4, with very small :spyder:holes (no one-hand function, only trademark) for legal carry in Germany!

If I could only keep one of all my knives, it probably would be a D4.

Ever tried, ever failed, no matter.
Try again, fail again, fail better.
(Samuel Beckett)
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I would like the current FRN texture style used on the Endura 4 and Delica 4. I think liners are not necessary. Not adding liners will keep both weight and cost down. I would like to see jimping added to the thumb ramp and the choil. I would like a removable flat metal or wire clip. I prefer tip up carry, so 4 way carry would be a plus. I would like pinned construction with a screw pivot.

Finally, to all those who want liners for heft, I say you should go straight to the Stainless Steel handled Dragon Fly.

Edit: Also for those that want heft, look at the brand new G-10 slabbed Dragon Fly. Let those who want a featherweight have their featherweight.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I like the Dragonfly design, but it's really lefty-unfriendly. That's why I'm happy to see the reversible wireclip on the G10 version. For an update to the FRN model I really like to see some sort of reversible clip for us lefties. I'm not a huge fan of the wireclip, it works fine but the deep carry versions are harder to get out of a pocket compared to a regular clip and the wire clips are not as rock-solid (there's a bit of wiggle side-to-side inherent in the design) as regular stele clips.

The Dragonfly's cusp is a bit sharp, I'd love to see it rounded like the Caly III/UKPK/Delica models. I'd also like to see jiming on the spine for added grip, jimping inside the choil is not really necessary in my experiences. I like the FRN pattern on the current Delica 4 and Stretch models. I don't think liners are necessary for a new FRN Dragonfly, unless it helps to hold a reversible clip. Black would be fine for the handle (as would be yellow for an H1 version and blue for a ZDP version ;) ). Do keep the SE and PE options for the edge.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I say FFG no swedge just ruins the line of the blade for me i think i'm a FFG convert now and with good reason . i'm on the rocks about the nested liners. It would make it stronger but then again add an oz or 2 which wouldn't bother me much but all the one piece FRN is pretty sturdy. I'd actually like one of each ;) but i doubt that would happen. How bout that CF D'fly gotta love it just make it PE and I'm in. I think vg-10 would do the job just right but if you wanna go S30V or better thats fine too.
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Linerless, no clip, bi-directional handles with lanyard & VG-10 blade, Also jimping on the top & bottom of blade. keep it simple. Makes an excellent pocket carry. Also pin construction. Thanks, Gary
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Well, my suggestions:

- no need for liners
- maybe wire clip Dodo style
- please no boye dent
- I'm fine with rivet construction
- full SpyderEdge version right away :p
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Since you are asking, I just Don't like the wire clips. For me it just looks, well, cheap.

Your original clip is one of my favorite things in the world...no kidding.

While I am certain the wire clip works just fine, I just Can't get one.

I remember the day in 1988 when I saw my first Spyderco at Plaza Cutlery in Palm Desert, CA. It was a Co-Pilot which I bought on the spot. The hole, the clip, the stainless steel construction, the brass liners, all of it was just wonderful.

Also, I remove the black coating as soon as I get the knife. Have you done any research as to what is most popular, or is it just a way to accent the knife cosmetically?

Thank you for the clip!

Toad
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Michaelg wrote:Here is my suggestion; Keep it simple, bi-directional FRN without liners and with left/right deep pocket wire clip. It will be your new best seller! As for the more demanding customers, a CF version with nested liners, screw construction, and ZDP steel will fit the bill.
Im going to vote for one piece with clip at end. No liners, no screws, wire clip at end of handle. This version should be an update and replacement for the current frn version. Make it as inexpensive as possible since this little knife is an entry point into the Spydie line for many folks (one of my first).

After that, if sales look great, add the higher end model as noted above - though, your Dfly line might start getting a little heavy - ner frn version, ss version, G10 version, CF version? That last one might be getting to pricey since the G10 version is on my price threshold right now. Just the simple frn replacement for now...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I like the G-10 D'fly 2, but at almost twice the street price of the FRN D'fly, I'm gonna pass. So when building the FRN version, I'd say keep it as cheap as possible. Here's what I want to see:

1. Liners if they don't add much to the price, otherwise pass on them.

2. Keep the swedge, ditch the Boye dent.

3. Wire clip.

4. Fish scale pattern texture would be cool, otherwise D4/E4 style.

5. Pinned or screw construction. Doesn't matter to me.

This is a pretty basic knife and you guys already offer all sorts of fancy knives for people who have the money to spend, so just keep the D'fly simple and cheap and I'll buy one (or maybe two or three as gifts).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Any chance of a yellow or black H1 version, similar to a giant H1 Ladybug with a clip?
drstrangelove

Post by drstrangelove »

Padawan wrote:Any chance of a yellow or black H1 version, similar to a giant H1 Ladybug with a clip?
Yup, there is definitely missing a Salt size between the Salt-1 and the Ladybug. If you were to put out a Dragonfly Salt for $45 street, I'd buy two, one in either edge option. Also, the Native Forum would just be the bomb in H-1 FFG. I don't care much if you leave the molded DF clip, but titanium wire would be most excellent in either DF or Native.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

drstrangelove wrote:Yup, there is definitely missing a Salt size between the Salt-1 and the Ladybug. If you were to put out a Dragonfly Salt for $45 street, I'd buy two, one in either edge option. Also, the Native Forum would just be the bomb in H-1 FFG. I don't care much if you leave the molded DF clip, but titanium wire would be most excellent in either DF or Native.
YESSSSSS!!! That is what I like to hear! More H1!!!! H1 Dragonfly and Native would be most excellent (although I understand factory FFG is impossible with H1). Woo hoo!!! :D :D :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
drstrangelove

Post by drstrangelove »

clovisc wrote:YESSSSSS!!! That is what I like to hear! More H1!!!! H1 Dragonfly and Native would be most excellent (although I understand factory FFG is impossible with H1). Woo hoo!!! :D :D :D
Why can't a FFG be done with H1?
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

drstrangelove wrote:Why can't a FFG be done with H1?
The grinding it requires during manufacturing is not compatible with H1's work-hardening characteristics.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Padawan wrote:The grinding it requires during manufacturing is not compatible with H1's work-hardening characteristics.
If I understood things correctly, it is slightly different. H1 tends to 'warp' when being grinded on just one side. This is not a problem for a production hollow grind since that is done simultaneously on both sides.

Mass production flat grinding is done one side at a time, thus causing H1 to warp. Tom Krein can re-grind H1 to full flat since he alternates sides in the process.
SamMaxRay

Post by SamMaxRay »

SamMaxRay wrote:Well this probably is not commenting on what you asked for but gonna say it anyway.

D1omedes touched on it. To me the D'fly is to large for a key chain although I am sure there are those that do it. I would have preferred the clip go to the end and be more like an Urban. Maybe the lanyard hole could be under the clip???

I also agree more with D1omedes in that weight should not be an issue so why not give it that solid feel with liners.
I was kinda on the fence with liners anyway, but after getting the G10 version I vote keep it like the old FRN version. No liners. Personal preference but pushing the envelope on weight for a small knife.
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

Sorry to ressurect an older thread but I just heard about this new FRN DF2 and wanted to chime in. I just purchased the G10 version a few weeks ago after seeing it on the Spydieguys youTube channel and love it. I like the extra weight and the overall finish makes it a true gentleman's folder IMHO. I got the original FRN DF as a bday gift from my bro in law back in the late 90s and it's always been a favorite.
Anyhow, back to the point, here's what I'd like to see in the DF2:
Nested liners, screws instead of rivets, wire clip, jimping, basically the same thing as the G10 version but with nested liners in the FRN scale. As for texture, make it the same as the D4. I've never liked the fish scale look personally, I found it cheapened the look of the knife.
Here's a shot of both just because!
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]