FRN Dragonfly research - need input

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RockyMatt

Dragonfly2

Post by RockyMatt »

Honestly the most important feature I'd like to see would be jmping on the thumb ramp and choil.

I can see valid points on both sides of the fence with regard to the liners. I guess I do prefer screw construction overall. Nesting the liners wouldn't add any bulk, just a little weight so here's 1 vote for skeletonized nested liners and screw construction. The biggest strike against it I can see is it may add a few $ to the street price as I think the weight increase would be minimal on such a small knife.

I also applaud the choice of wire pocket clip, perfect for a knife this size. Clean, minimalistic and completely functional.

As long as it retains the wire clip and has jimping I know I'll have to have one though, liners or no liners.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

I personally think that a nested liner is over kill. If you could do something with a wire clip and a barrel bolt, then I don't think any other modification is needed except maybe a new mold pattern.
...oh you know why!
Michaelg

Keep it simple

Post by Michaelg »

Here is my suggestion; Keep it simple, bi-directional FRN without liners and with left/right deep pocket wire clip. It will be your new best seller! As for the more demanding customers, a CF version with nested liners, screw construction, and ZDP steel will fit the bill.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I am just glad to hear the lanyard hole is closer to the end of the knife.
I be honest I do not have a new delica or endura because of the hole being to far down.I carry all my tip up knives with a lanyard and the lanyard works best in a hole that is very close to the end of the scale in the center.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

FRN with the steel nested liners, definately! I actually sold my old FRN D'fly because it was too light and flimsy. Some added wieght would be a GOOD thing with this knife.

And as for screw construction, I think everybody would be in agreement.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've never understood why the Boye dent got added to the Dragonfly, and would stand up and cheer to see it go. I like the swedge, but I can easily add that to suit my preference, so it wouldn't bother me to see you please Paul in that regard. The clip is a non-issue for me, since I never carry my D'fly clipped anyway. Liners on a knife this size are worthless in my opinion. If I want more weight I'll drill holes in it and pour in some lead. I also think that screw construction is highly overrated and I would just as soon see it remain pinned. After all, the G-10 version will already be out there for the people who want liners and screws, so why not keep the FRN version simple? I'd like to see the fish-scale texture from the Calypso Jr. on this one as well.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
SamMaxRay

Post by SamMaxRay »

Michaelg wrote:Here is my suggestion; Keep it simple, bi-directional FRN without liners and with left/right deep pocket wire clip. It will be your new best seller! As for the more demanding customers, a CF version with nested liners, screw construction, and ZDP steel will fit the bill.
I will second that!

With emphasis that there is a deep pocket wire clip.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Thanks for asking for our input. Is it possible to switch to tip-down or, by some other means, have the clip anchored very close to one end or the other of the knife? I've always thought the dragonfly was a great size but disliked the fact that a relatively large part of a relatively small knife is visible above the pocket. I realize that a lanyard hole would somehow have to be accommodated as well.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I have edc a dragonfly for over a decade. I am shocked how many people want nested liners, for what!?!?! The feather light weight of the current dragonfly that disappeared in your pocket was its charm!

If I wanted a heavier knife I would carry a larger one.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Shooting the moon here:

1. dual nested liners
2. four way clip mounting, but two different clips. For tip up position, the shorter wire clip of the G10 version, but for tip down the standard clip modified to be a short version of the D4 clip with hour glass shape for Right hand/Left hand tip up or tip down carry.
3. ZDP 189 steel
4. Jimping on thumb ramp and finger choil
5. Bi-directional 3 dimensional traction on the scales.
6. Keep the swedge

Just hoping...

Doug
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

dd61999 wrote:I have edc a dragonfly for over a decade. I am shocked how many people want nested liners, for what!?!?! The feather light weight of the current dragonfly that disappeared in your pocket was its charm!

If I wanted a heavier knife I would carry a larger one.
By that logic, and to be fair, if I wanted a "feathery light" knife, I would carry a Ladybug. :D ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
bh49

Post by bh49 »

liners or no liners on this knife wouldn't make much difference to me, so to keep cost down I would prefer one piece FRN. I hope to see sprint in orange.
the deacon wrote:
and, since you've asked for preferences, i have to admit, i'm a bit disappointed the swedged spine is being retained, and that yet another small non-tactical folder has to be disfigured by the boye dent. Was hoping perhaps both of those would have gone the way of the integral frn clip.
+ 1. that would be nice
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
alancamby

Post by alancamby »

Put me down for all FRN (no liners), and rivet constuction.
Calypso Jr. scales would be nice.
Also I am not a fan of Boye dents, these are easy to add, but hard to remove.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

bh49 wrote:I hope to see sprint in orange.
+1. I'm down for seeing just about any kind of Sprint in orange.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Thanks for the input opportunity Sal. I am quite surprised by the number of forum members before me who wish for the fish scales. That was the first thing I thought of too. So put me down for that. I'd like to see it without liners. Something this small should be light, slim and economical.

How about some nice colors too? Purple and lime green.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Hello Sal,

Hope all is well at Spyderco, and at the home. Haven’t seen yall in a while, but Ill prob be down Monday to pick up a few things. You were missed at the USN Gathering, many folks were wondering where you were. Thanks for the bags as well.

As for a new FRN Dragonfly.

Liners:
There seems to be some back and forth on this, but at least for me. I would greatly prefer No liners. In a knife of this size, the strength is completely unnecessary. Its been clearly proven over the years with FRN knives that liners are really not needed. The only thing I think they add for most folks is "peace of mind" In this case I would say "peace of mind" isn’t worth the added cost or weight. Weight being its own issue. One of the greatest things about the current D'fly is how light it is. With the new g-10 D'fly2 coming out, I feel that will fill that need for most folks. You can have your high end D’fly, and now your budget D'fly. Same great steel, same great quality, just lighter and cheaper.

Texture:
I would love!!!! to see the Fishscale texture as done on the Calypso Jr. (speaking of which, I would love to see those colors again, burgundy and Gray) I have never much cared for the texture of the Current Delica, a little to aggressive for my tastes. Good grip, but at a cost of a smidge of comfort when gripping really hard, but more so scraping my hand as I snag something else from my pocket.

Blade:
I'm also with Paul. Swedge... doesnt do anything for me. Just weakens the tip, and lessens my grip when I really choke up on the blade. I would imagine it would also cut a step from the blade, which could save a buck or two. Jimping aka checkering would be sweet!

Clip:
Sounds like this one is set already, which is cool by me... yall know Im a wire clip fan. I also think that the Weight that some people want to see in this knife will be improved by adding the hardware needed to secure the wire clip, so that’s a bonus. Tip up, doesn’t seem like tip down can be done with a wire clip without liners, and even then super sketchy… not enough to thread the screw into.

Mold:
I know it sounds like your already set on the mold, and pattern, but I would love to see a little added to the end of the knife. Maybe a 1/8" just something give my giant hands a little more to snug up to.

Closed position problem:
Would it be possibe to fix the issue where when the blade is closed it can be pushed, or flexed into the backspacer. I realize thats gonna mean a complete redesign of the lock area, but that drives me nuts.

Ergo's:
You asked for comments, so I'm going all out and being nitpicky. How bout moving the hole towards the tip a mm or two and making the thumb ramp angle a little shallower. I think it might provide a little better control. Would lower the tip effectivly when pointing the knife (makes it point more natural) And should be a little eaiser to thumb open.

Goodness, I feel like ive got a million idea's for this knife. Could go on.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
ColonelX1

Post by ColonelX1 »

i think i would like to see a more economic version, available for 25-35 bucks. if it had a wireclip all the more power to ya, but i think i personally would like to see a metal clip rather than the molded FRN clip. if a version could be made in a similair more economical fashion to the tenacios, id pick one up in a heartbeat, and no matter what, all screw construction!
Pick a Card, Any Card

:My Spyders:spyder:
Orange G10 Wharnie Urban 064v
Blue/grey Waved Delica 4 (gifted to my close friend who is headed to Anapolis)
Black FRN Jester Ghetto Wave

ATS-55 SS harpy in full spyder edge!(loved, and then gifted to a Plebe at annapolis)
Carbon Fiber KIWI
Manix2CE 064v Ghetto Wave
SSSE Cricket
Delica4 full SE Ghetto Wave

May your food be rich, your knives be honed, your women be sweet, and your good friends stoned.
Noble

Post by Noble »

Maybe a Glow-In-The-Dark FRN version. I would Love that to bits. Can they make GITD G-10? Instead of nestled liners, maybe engineer the FRN's inside surface to have a honeycomb or other structually intergral design that would be conducive to strengthening the handles, if thats even an issue still. It would keep it feather-weight, yet allow the handles to be more contributing factors to rigidity. Jimping like the suggestions above me another one I would like to see. Maybe an H1 version. There, H1, GITD, FRN Cannibalized Honeycomb, and Cha-Ching.

Donovan.
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

Not particularly worried about the finer details bar one. Ditch the swedge. They serve no purpose whatsoever in my world and I don't even find them aesthetically pleasing. ;)
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Just want to add again quickly that keeping the cost down should be a large part of this knife... there are sprint runs for those who want carbon fiber scales (which I think would be neat on a small knife like this). I realize there is the ladybug for a really economical small knife, but that knife doesn't appeal to me and I can't see myself buying one. Therefore I say to keep it pinned, but having a pivot screw would really be nice to have some control over blade tension.

I also would prefer it not to have a Boye dent.