Question about the large Wayne Goddard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knifedude

Question about the large Wayne Goddard

Post by knifedude »

I have a large Wayne Goddard CE with micarta scales that I bought new in 1995 or 1996. Shortly after I got it all three of the clip screws stripped out of it and I tried several types of glue to put them back as well as loctite and nothing worked. I also found that the micarta scales were very slick and hard to hold on to.

Does anybody out there carry a large micarta Goddard?

What do you think of the scales?

Have you had any trouble with the clip screws?

I really like the blade on the Goddard and if I knew back then what I know know I would have sent it back to Spyderco and let them work their magic on it. Just wasnt to know what every one thinks. THANKS :confused:
GOD BLESS!!!
Jeff :spyder::D
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I don't carry mine that often so it wouldn't really wear out for me. But when I do carry it, it seems fine.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Personally I would still send it in to Warranty and Repair. If you do not want to do that, then you might need to be more creative. There is a member who goes by STR of this forum and another one where Spyderco has a sub-forum who may be able to help you. I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a very relevant post from STR.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I find the Micarta a little slippery too. It feels nice and solid compared to FRN, just wish it had the grip of FRN.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco moved away from making knives with three screw clips and unlined micarta, G-10, and CF handles for just that reason. As for the "slickness" issue. I find micarta to be naturally girppy, at least more so than smooth G-10 or CF would be. Problem with the Goddard is a combination of a relatively unstructured handle with smooth scales. The only consolation is that the handle shape makes it virtually impossible for your hand to slip in the most dangerous direction, forward.

As with most things, there are options available to those who really like the Goddard but want more grip, they just cost money. As an example, there are folks who checker micarta and others who engrave it. Either will improve the grip considerably. Checkering, IMHO, would look extremely attractive on the Goddard's handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
knifedude

Post by knifedude »

thanks for the info guys. I was just curios if anyone else had the same issues that I had. Thanks for the link Chapmanpeferred I have not got it to work yet but I will keep trying.
GOD BLESS!!!
Jeff :spyder::D
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Got one like that in trade last year, no problem fixing it.

A) roughen up the back of the clip slightly with either 320 grip sandpaper or preferably a dremel and cutoff wheel.

B) using the screw holes to align the clip on the scale, scribe the clip top outline onto the scale. roughen the outlined area area like the clip back.

C) spin the clip screws a couple of times while holding them in some 4-600 grit sandpaper
then clean the screws, clip and scale with alcohol and allow to dry.

D) LIGHTLY apply a thin coat of Devcon 2-part epoxy- the 24 hour curing, 5-ton hold type-
to the clip and screws and re-assemble carefully. then either rubber-band the clip in place or (as I did) use a small spring clamp on the glued end of the clip ( while keeping a rubber-band on the tail end)

E) clean the glue off your fingers and leave it alone for a day or two.

Fixed. Mine was gifted to an LEO who watched me repair it and sees daily use by him on and off duty with no problems. (now if I could get him to sharpen it himself.)
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]