What the heck

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bizarro 528

What the heck

Post by Bizarro 528 »

A friend just bought a Benchmade Mini Pika ll and when I looked at it, it looks just like a spyderco the handle looks like a FRN with grips, and has the spyderco round hole on the blade, he says he also has a mini griptilian that has the same opening hole on it. I told him Spyderco came up with the hole along with many other inovations and he doesn't believe me. Can anyone help with this ? :eek:
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Too funny. Just for the record, this is not beating the dead horse, but a specific comment on that knife. It is pretty low quality. Rough, stiff opening and closing. For that price point, Byrd would be much better choice. Looks like a Spydie, but its a few legs short of 8.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You don't to get into a company bashing event.

In 1981 the C01 Worker had a round hole. I could take an educated guess based on that fact alone without getting into the drama of trends and patents.

History is pretty cut and dry like that.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Hard to answer and leave "shiny footprints" at the same time.
And do not let your friend handle your Spydercos, he is probably not used to sharp edges. ;)
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Blerv wrote:You don't to get into a company bashing event.
I hope I didnt come across as company bashing. I wasn't - didnt talk about the hole - I know the history. I was just commenting on that specific knife since Ive handled it. I would have said that it had rough opening/closing or low quality if its any other brand. I belieive in shiny footprints.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
gac

Post by gac »

Wasn't their some mediated agreement between Spyderco and Benchmade on this issue that resolved it? I cannot recall.

No, I'm not going to search it up. I'm being lazy.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

From the "for what it's worth" department, it might be good for people to be referred to that certain thread instead of telling them to stop beating the dead horse. They don't know. I didn't know until I read Deacon's webpage. Something like, "hey dude, that is a part of knife history that has been discussed many times. If you want to know, go look at this thread. We dont want to keep rehashing it."

I do like that we are pretty civil about this issue that pops up every so often. I was over on the CandlePowerForum and some guy asks what the bid deal about SureFire flashlights is - the next forum guy to respond basically cussed him out (with real words, not just @$@!%). Made me want to not stay on CPF, but I like flashlights, too (I also want to know why they are supposed to be so good-very expensive-glad I did not ask). That was classless and the poor guy who asked just wanted to know...
supmonkeyface

Post by supmonkeyface »

Let's drop this quickly before it erupts again!!
T-Mag (awesome), PE Endura Wave, PE FRN Dragonfly, SE Delica4 FG, PE Manix FG, Lava, Swick-(2009), SE Blue Do-Do, Karambit, SE Para-Military, SE Micarta Spot, Bug, Hossom Forester, 2009 Forum Native, Spyderhawk Salt SE
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Pneumothorax wrote: I do like that we are pretty civil about this issue that pops up every so often. I was over on the CandlePowerForum and some guy asks what the bid deal about SureFire flashlights is - the next forum guy to respond basically cussed him out (with real words, not just @$@!%). Made me want to not stay on CPF, but I like flashlights, too (I also want to know why they are supposed to be so good-very expensive-glad I did not ask). That was classless and the poor guy who asked just wanted to know...
I agree. There is nothing worse for a forum (or the members residing there) than having people lash at each other over a simple question. Answering someone with respect and understanding makes a huge impact on people.
Vic
MCM

Post by MCM »

An agreement has been made with both parties.
That's all we need to know.
No hard feelings on either side.

Yes I like my (6) 806BK-901's.
As well as my 100+ Spyderco's.

Thank you both parties for working this out. :)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Anyone up for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich thread? How about Peanut Butter and Honey? Mmmmmm....

:D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

David Lowry wrote:Anyone up for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich thread? How about Peanut Butter and Honey? Mmmmmm....

Mmmmmmmm.........taste good
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

:p :) I like chunky PB and blueberry jam! :D ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Nicely done. :D

Hi Bizarro,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Spyderco and Benchmade have an agreement. As far as our invention and trademark. Yes. Spyderco created hole openers and has used a round hole since we began making folding knives.

Naturally we would hope you like ours.

sal
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

I would like to try a fried banana and peanut butter sandwich. I think a very smooth and somewhat thin peanut butter would be ideal. A drizzle of honey on a lightly toasted ciabatta would top it off. How'z'at for a twist? :D

(For recent new-comers, David is a serial PB&J threadjacker :D : http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... =benchmade )
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
AnimalHousePA

Post by AnimalHousePA »

When I visited Graceland a few years ago, I stopped by that little diner there and they had the favorite snack of The King himself...fried peanut butter and banana sandwich...I had one and it was delicious!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

David Lowry wrote:Anyone up for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich thread? How about Peanut Butter and Honey? Mmmmmm....

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Attachments
PeanutButterJellyTime.jpg
PeanutButterJellyTime.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:I would like to try a fried banana and peanut butter sandwich. I think a very smooth and somewhat thin peanut butter would be ideal. A drizzle of honey on a lightly toasted ciabatta would top it off. How'z'at for a twist? :D

(For recent new-comers, David is a serial PB&J threadjacker :D : http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... =benchmade )
This made me laugh pretty hard.

Thanks for the reminder.

The fried banana sounds really good. Wow.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

sal wrote:Nicely done. :D

Hi Bizarro,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Spyderco and Benchmade have an agreement. As far as our invention and trademark. Yes. Spyderco created hole openers and has used a round hole since we began making folding knives.

Naturally we would hope you like ours.

sal
The original is indeed best.

I guess I'm past the hate for the "other" company, so I'll just say that I've handled a Vex, and lets just say that I'd much rather have the Byrd Raven for twice the price of the vex (even though you can get it for half the price of the vex). Vexing indeed...

A fried peanut butter and banana sammich does sound good, as long as it's made of that stupid singing banana :p

(My shiny footprints are covered in peanut butter)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE