BaliSong Question

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Kuolema

BaliSong Question

Post by Kuolema »

Right, first off I want to mention it's 6:01 am and I got off work 2 hours ago, so if my spelling is bad (or you can't understand this post) I'm sorry.

I got my BM 40tr BaliSong Trainer (Couldn't find the Spydie trainer), and wouldn't ya know it- instead of riviting the pivots, they used screws. Now I can see the benefit of this, namely replacing the fake blade with a real one (which I don't condone, that is illegal!).

And after use I can see the screws flying out as I flip; what's the best way to prevent this. I know there's Loctite; but I have Permatex brand Loctite, and I've read it 's not good to use with BaliSongs.

So if you have any recommendations or tips, post 'em. :cool:
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

If i'm correct Permatex and Loctite are the same.
Have used Loctite on a few knives and had no problems.
Use the blue...it's what a few of the big name companies use sometimes.....red would be a problem if you ever need to take it apart.
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Loctite is usually sufficient to prevent the loosening of those pivot screws.

Depending on how much use you expect to get out of your Bali, blue should be perfectly acceptable. If you find yourself walking around the house at all hours of the day, with a background soundtrack of clicking balisong noises, you may want to try the red.

It's not so much the color you use, as how you apply it. Make sure the screws are cleaned thoroughly, and dry, before you apply it. Also, you only need to use a negligible amount to keep the pivots from loosening. If you think you're using too much, you are. If you don't think you're using enough, you're using the perfect amount.

Use too much, and you risk gumming up the pivots with the loctite, and trust me, that's not something you want to deal with.

Happy flipping.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
dialex

Post by dialex »

Take just a little Loctite and apply with a toothpick on the thread of the screws, like you'd draw two thin vertical lines along them. Scew them back into place, adjust the tension and leave the glue to harden a few minutes.
Happy flipping! ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

Well I'm now what I consider a 'pro' at flipping, which in reality means I still suck.

But after trying to manage holding the tiny screws and loctite it properly, it just wasn't working. What I used instead was Thread Seal tape, I forget what the name of it is at the moment. It has so far worked perfectly, and it's not permanent, just apply some force and the screws come right out. :cool: Fun stuff!
may it not be tricksy
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

locktite 242 works well. Just apply locktite, tighten screws till you hit resistance, and start moving the pivot slowly, tightening slightly after a few cycles. You'll find the point when it starts to get solid before it gets stiff. I spent an afternoon tweaking my Mayhem before I was happy. Hasn't loosened up yet.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Slick

Post by Slick »

vampyrewolf wrote:locktite 242 works well. Just apply locktite, tighten screws till you hit resistance, and start moving the pivot slowly, tightening slightly after a few cycles. You'll find the point when it starts to get solid before it gets stiff. I spent an afternoon tweaking my Mayhem before I was happy. Hasn't loosened up yet.
A place where I used to work years ago closed out and moved our jobs to mexico. I went around my work station and loosenened/tightened everything possible with red Loctite. I can only imagine the tourches and ruined parts.
I feel bad and almost even.

I got a better job at a better employer so the little bit of guilt is almost true.
Not really all that slick ;)