Spyderco flipper!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
harkamus

Spyderco flipper!

Post by harkamus »

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I'm sure a few of you if not more, have also thought about it. But, what if Spyderco made a flipper? They wouldn't even have to do away with their trademark Spyderhole. Whereas many flippers have a thumbstud so you can open it both ways, a flipper from Spyderco could still utilize the beloved Spydy-hole. I think they could make it work.

Manix flipper maybe? How about a Stretch flipper or even a resurrected and updated Lum folding tanto? Keep in mind that what I meant by giving these examples is just the general shape. I realize some locking mechanisms from the above knives would not work or translate well into a flipper.

What do you guys think?
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

While flippers are a bit of fun and quick to deploy, they are also a good way to wear out the lock...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No thanks. Round hole opener works fine for me, I have no need or desire for alternate systems. Plus, I carry my knives loose in the pocket, so a flipper can cause the blade to partially open at "inconvenient" times. Finally, they can't be combined with a mid lock, and that's the only locking system I really like.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I really need to get pictures of my test MULE Team folder. I made it with slabs of aluminum and brass for the lock with 1/4 inch machine screws holding it together, but it still works.

They way I designed the handle, it uses the little kicker on the blade as a flipper. It's not spring loaded or big enough to push out the blade completely, but with a little wrist action it comes out every time.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Heck yes!

Spyderco design paired with a flipper and the Hawk Lock would be awesome!
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Always interested in new spydie products - I would like to see Sal's twist on this
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

Just the other day I was thinking about a G10 and Ti frame-lock flipper manix (old style) as my ideal heavy use knife. I just bought a kershaw skyline and really like the flipping feature.

In fact, I recently sold my last spyderco knife* because I lost interest in the hole opener. No doubt it is the easiest way to open a knife, but it takes up a lot of space. Being a student, I hardly ever use the knife, so it is more important to me to have an easy to carry knife.

jezabel wrote:While flippers are a bit of fun and quick to deploy, they are also a good way to wear out the lock...
Can you give any evidence for this statement? I heard that flipping is no more damaging than other methods of opening.

*well...as on of my potential replacements, i also ordered a centofante 3...
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Spyderco hole works fine for me, don't neet a flipper.
I like flicking knives, so I just put my index finger in the hole and give it a flick, out it fires open. This works with MOST Spydes. Sage and Chinese are the best.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
DrBlade

Post by DrBlade »

A flipper would make it not a spyderco. Thats not what it's about it's about the hole.
:spyder: Delica, SageCF and TI, Dragonfly G-10, Persistance, Balance, Lum Ti, Economy
Wish I still had; Barong, Lava
Wish they made; CF Dragonfly, CF Lava
Thank You BladeOps.com for my new Dragonfly!
harkamus

Post by harkamus »

There could be a hole and a flipper much like other flipper knives that also have a thumbstud so you can open it both ways.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I like flippers a lot, but I couldn't see it on a Spyderco. I wouldn't want a flipper and a spyderhole in the same knife...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sorry, but flippers are, to me a big waste of time, effort, and material. The Spydie hole works better than awesome and flippers are totally in the way - and don't even get me started on assisted openers. I found out the hard, expensive way (350-some dollars) with a Camillus titanium-handled jobbie. Just my opinion, but no thanks for me.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

From what I have read, it seems that Spydies are already on the cusp of being made illegal the way they currently are. From what I understand, they fall into a sort of "grey area". Now wouldn't be the time for them to add a feature that would move them out of that grey area.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I have a Kershaw OD-1, I can't legally own a switchblade in Canada, so this i as good as it gets. It's not an assisted opener, I've had several of those from various makers and they were all crap after a couple of months. The OD-1 is a flipper, but the flipper folds into the handle when the knife is open, which makes it look really clean since there are no thumbstuds either. It's fun as all get out, but I also don't open it in front of people since it flies open like a switchblade and most people don't know the difference.

I think Spyderco is going the right way with the slipit knives, it's a changing world and sorry to say, but slip-its appear to be the future for most people in most countries. I don't think that assisted openers and flippers really help matters, they only serve to make us look worse in the eyes of NKP. One thing I like about Spyderco as a company is that they respect people's opinions, whether they are what we like or not, so to make a long answer short, no they shouldn't make a flipper.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Harkamus,

Eric has designed a few knives with Carson flippers as well as assisted openers. In fact his designs incorporated a flipper that folded into the finger choil. He did these years ago.

We've been hesitant to make assisted openers or knives with flippers for the reasons mentioned above. The NKP's can't tell the difference and if they look like a switch-blade, they will be more than likely be thought of as a switch-blade. Assisted openers are in a battle right now with US Customs over legality.

We've been making one-handers for almost 30 years with no problems. One hand opening capability being the feature rather than quick opening.

When we did make an "auto" in the form of a Balisong (some imported parts), we got hammered by customs.

We have a large Laci Szabo folder design in R&D which has both a hole opener and a flipper. We're more than likely going to leave off the Carson flipper.

These are challenging times for knife-makers the world over (legal carry issues). Many of our customers like to carry knives without legal concerns. That's why we make such a large variety of smaller knives as well as non-lockers (Locking folders are being banned for legal carry in many countries already). We make up for the smaller sizes by using ergonomic grips which provide control and safety as well a superior steels.

sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Oh for the sake of all that is good, do not go the freaking flipper route. That's the last thing we need. More assisted opening switch blade gravity knife things.

I have been happy that Spyderco has held out and not made anything assisted or flipper related. Auto's should be Auto's and knives should be knives. Don't do the loophole thing like many other companies have done.

In fact, the assisted opening knives are probably THE reason that this entire dilemma is going on right now about one handed opening knives etc.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

David Lowry wrote:*snip*

In fact, the assisted opening knives are probably THE reason that this entire dilemma is going on right now about one handed opening knives etc.
Flippers and Assisted Opening knives aren't the same thing, nor should the be viewed the same way. The use of a spring is generally seen as the proper defining line, one has it and one does not.

This isn't the place to discuss politics but you are completely misunderstanding that issue. Bladeforums has a very good breakdown of the issue if you check some of the tacked threads.
MCM

Post by MCM »

One compelling thing with collectors & Spyderco is the diviersity in design.
I would buy one in a minute. Assisted or a Flipper!
I didnt care for assisted knifes until I picked up a quality one.
A 615-2 based on their auto. Rock solid.

How about a Whale Shark? Like a giant Lum flipper...... LOL LOL

Keep up the good work!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

No thanks. I'm not a big fan of "flipper" knives.
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i feel like, aside from the "wave" feature, spyderdropping a tip down spydie is just about the fastest knife deployment possible... as well as one of the safest "fast open" options.

i'm more than content with the hole. faster, no legal concerns, safer... plus, in my opinion, assisted opening and flippers are tacky.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: