Dirty little secrets...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Dirty little secrets...

Post by FLYBYU44 »

A few recent post regarding the new Lum knife have got me thinking. I love Spyderco knives in general because they are well made, have good customer service and perform better then expected. I heartily dislike some of their designs however and I confess that some of the ones I dislike the most are very popular it seems. For instance, I hate the look of the Lum knives, I don't like them at all. The ATR looks hideous to me, same with the Dodo. And I hate the blade shap and general design of the Military. :eek: So what blade do you hate that everyone else seems to like? Tell me I'm not alone here :D
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

I can't like the Military or the Paramilitary at all. I've tried but they just don't do it for me.

Oh, and the Gunting. I loathe the Gunting.

*dodges rocks*
moeman

Post by moeman »

Well, it seems i am in the "other" group. I love the Lums, ATR, DODO, and Poliwog.
But then again, i don't hate any design, except rip-offs.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I for one, think that the Lum is odd looking, and probably the most uncomfortable knife in hand that Spyderco makes. Only Spyderco I dislike more than the Lum is the Native.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

You guys just reminded me of how much I hate the design of the Gunting and Poliwog as well. The new G-10 Poliwog is a little better, but the SS one was aweful looking.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I hate serrations and odd-shaped blades like the Civilian and the Captain.
The most elegant blade is the Military's and my overall favorite is the ATR, so I strongly disagree.
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

I like this thread. I like how we are comfortable enough to post here knowing it is all constructive and not bashing.

I have had many knives I did not like at one point or another but I often find myself switching when that knife comes out in the right configuration. I wasn't a huge fan of the military but now I really really want one. I agree the Lum doesn't do it for me either, but I'm sure it's still a good knife. I also can't get into the Dodo or Polywog, but I have never held one in my had so that is an uneducated opinion. For me I find over engineering bugs me. Simplicity is king. Function before form. Form must serve a function.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Cool thread,
I am not to keen on new Endura and Delica blades. Mostly the thicker less pointy tips. And I have to say the Captain does nothing for me. I will have to disagree on the ATR and Dodo as I really like them both.
-John
gac

Post by gac »

Tricod wrote:I for one, think that the Lum is odd looking, and probably the most uncomfortable knife in hand that Spyderco makes. Only Spyderco I dislike more than the Lum is the Native.
Heathen!!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Well first of all I dislike all plain edged and combo edged knives with less than 60% serrations :eek:
Never handled a LUM so can't comment on that.
The one and only other knife in the Spyderco line up that does absolutly NOTHING for me is the Native. I tried 3 times and got rid of them 3 times :p
Well I guess that covers it all :)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

I don't like Enduras, Delicas, Natives or anything serrated. :)
subrosa

Post by subrosa »

I am not that hot on the Endura/Delica but mostly based on blade shape. I enjoy more of a tradition drop-point or leaf style blade.
Current Spyders - Leafstorm, Native, Forum Native 2009 and H1 ladybug
Spyders on a Plane - none :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love Lums (except new FG with black blade), Dodo, ATR, and Native 4.
I do not care much for Military or Para. I do not like Delica and Endura.
Everybody is different, I heard that some people do not like Persians, Caly and Kopas. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The most important that everybody can find in Spyderco products what they would love or at least like.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
LBNoble

Post by LBNoble »

Well as a recent purchaser of a Lum, I respect your right to dislike some Spydercos-I prefer to think of them as 'knives I would purchase last' -- just because something doesn't appeal to me right away, doesn't mean it won't at some time in the future (or after I handle it). The Lum design is one of those that I've had awhile to think about.

Included in my list of 'last to be purchased' knives are the Native (but the forum one will be purple!), the P'kal & the Captain (although the shape of both of these is intriguing). I AM truly grateful that Spyderco produces such a wide variety of knives, that there is something for almost everyone...
Free Radical

Post by Free Radical »

I don't like the Phoenix.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HONESTY COMMUNICATION ACCURACY SPEED[/CENTER]
[CENTER] "Spyderco proudly sets the standard in cutlery and other markets by delivering innovative, reliable, high-performance products. We always extend our best effort to conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. Our success is measured by making money and having fun."[/CENTER]
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

Yea, spyderco does have that rep of 'function over form' eh? I love the spyderco style however, but I do agree that some designs just don't stick very well.

I for one love the caly, mili,para, dodo, poli but really am not fond of the delica and endura series..

yea this thread is indeed interesting :D
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Im not a fan of the military or paramilitary. I wasnt a fan of the Endura/Delica line until the G10/FFG came out. The only Native I like is the IV/CF/FFG. Cant wrap my head around the Poliwog, Phoenix, Captain, Rock Lobster - I guess Im a little more into traditional design.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

LBNoble wrote:Well as a recent purchaser of a Lum, I respect your right to dislike some Spydercos-I prefer to think of them as 'knives I would purchase last' -- just because something doesn't appeal to me right away, doesn't mean it won't at some time in the future (or after I handle it). The Lum design is one of those that I've had awhile to think about.

Included in my list of 'last to be purchased' knives are the Native (but the forum one will be purple!), the P'kal & the Captain (although the shape of both of these is intriguing). I AM truly grateful that Spyderco produces such a wide variety of knives, that there is something for almost everyone...
You make a valid point. In fact I used to dislike the Delica as well, then I purchased one so that I could see what all the fuss was about. I actually really like the knife, it's probably the perfect EDC knife. I am however selling it so that I can purchase a TI Sage. :) I'm also not too keen on the Captain and Native (the CF Native is just sexy though) and there are some I'm on the fence about, like the Caly 3. I've also purchased knives that I thought I would like and then sold them again because I found I didn't like them, such as the Mariner and Tasman Salt.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

I have had every knife listed on here. I agree that some do not fit my taste as well, but that is the best way to create a market for different needs. I always liked the Chinese lum for its looks, and not for how it works. Now the tanto lums are a totally different story. The dodo, though is a totally different arguement. It is ugly, despicable in looks department, but have you held one? Worked with one? I would say you may fall in love if you do get to use one. Just like the Lava, that I love, it just melts into the palm, and its ergos make it a great cutting tool. The ATR was a brick in my opinion. Not all knives Spyderco makes I like, and every once in a while one comes up that just blows me away. If there was a Khukuri with a black G10 handle, I would EDC it everyday.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Don't get me started on the foliage green G-10, I wish Spyderco would somehow lose their entire stock of it. Give me black, orange, blue, heck, any color besides foliage green works for me.