Aqua Salt vs. Temperance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JLS

Aqua Salt vs. Temperance

Post by JLS »

I haven't tried H1 as of yet and I have more than enough folders, so I was looking at the Aqua Salt series to try it out. I have a couple of the original Temperance FB's and was wondering how the Aqua Salts compare.

As far as I can tell, they seem slimmer overall both in blade width and in thickness. Can someone comfirm or better yet, post some pictures?

After I beat it up in the wild for a bit, I'm intrigued by tonydahose's idea of getting it FFG by Krein and using it for a kitchen knife. But depending on how much I like it, that may have to be a second one.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Don't have either of them in front of me at the moment, but I think of the Aqua Salt as a slightly-smaller version of the Temperance. I'll compare blade length and handle size more specifically sometime this evening.

I may attempt a comparison photo, but compared to some of the talent on this board, my camera skills are rather lacking.

Edited to add: sorry, computer problems at home last night...I'll try again tonight.
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

OK, sorry for the delay. Have both right in front of me know.

The Temperance's blade is a bit thicker than that of the Aqua Salt. The handle shape is very similar on both, though the Temp's is, again, thicker and has the indexing divots.

Both have seen similar use, but the Aqua shows more scratches on the blade, similar to other H1 knives I own.

Blade-wise, the Temp is a full flat grind leaf shape, which the Aqua is hollow ground with a swedge (and a small Spyderhole, suitable for a lanyard or tie down).

I've attached a really, really bad webcam picture, but it at least gives you a size comparison.

If you are thinking about getting an Aqua Salt, all I can say is, I really like mine. I've used it for throwing in a backpack for a weekend, to whittling, to peeling potatoes at Thanksgiving. I recommend it highly.
Attachments
Picture 7.jpg
Picture 7.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 888 times
christopher

Post by christopher »

Hey Guys,

You should take a look at the Temperance 2. I got it at the SFO today and it's a definite keeper. I'd trust it in the extreme. It is lovely too.

Chris :) :) :)
JLS

Post by JLS »

The Temperance 2 is on the list eventually as well, but I'd really like to try out H1 in the mean time.

I'm at the point now that most of my knife purchases are really redundant, so I'm looking for something very different in each one. H1 is the just the next hill to conquer.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
christopher

Post by christopher »

To each his own, IMHO. You've got to go with your heart. Just saying that that Temperance 2 is a whole lot different from the 1. t's almost a new knife.

Chris