Autos in Oregon?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
usmc1371

Autos in Oregon?

Post by usmc1371 »

I am just wondering why I can't find auto spydies for sale in oregon when auto benchmades and kershaws are at every decent knife dealer?

If this has been beat to death can you link me to the thread?

Thanks.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It has been addressed in the Restricted sub-forum I think. Long story short, to obey Federal law, Spyderco can only ship out of Colorado to dealers who have submitted paperwork indicating they will only sell to those Federal law allows to purchase switchblades, i.e. military and law enforcement. Just because others ignore the law doesn't mean Spyderco gets to.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
usmc1371

Post by usmc1371 »

I talked to an employe at benchmade yesterday when I was droping off a knife for shapining and the answer I got was "because BM and Kershaw are made in Oregon and there is no restriction on autos in this state you can buy them here." BM can't sell autos to out of state folks for the same reason Spyderco can't sell autos across state lines, what a lame law. So it pretty much comes down to a law about shipping "autos" acorss state lines.
stanlyonjr

Post by stanlyonjr »

Repealing the interstate commerce clause like Montana is trying to do will free up auto knife dealers to sell across state lines.

Stan