Yet another Spyderco knock off...

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Edgy

Yet another Spyderco knock off...

Post by Edgy »

This makes me sad to see such an awesome knife produced so poorly :(
Attachments
polywog.jpg
polywog.jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 9179 times
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

I thought Columbia was better than this. I am quite bummed
THG

Post by THG »

TexSierra wrote:I thought Columbia was better than this. I am quite bummed
Obviously that's not THE Columbia, assuming we're both talking about CRKT.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Not CRKT but something else.....try: (ShuangRong) SR Columbia...Doc :eek:
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jimmyh

Post by jimmyh »

Haven't you guys heard the saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"?

It isn't trying to pass off as a genuine Spyderco, just copying a neat design that Spyderco came up with. ****, the polywog is discontinued, so if you wanted one you'd have to pay $150 to snag one off ebay.

I actually bought one, and it's better made than you'd think. There is zero blade play in either direction while maintaining sufficiently low opening friction. It is nice and thin (thinner than my leek) as well.

The edge came obtuse and dull, but after fixing that problem, it will at least take an edge. I haven't played with it enough to judge edge retention/stability but don't have high expectations.

It's not like its actually competing with spyderco for market share. I certainly wouldn't have paid 150 bucks for 'the real deal', and at six bucks shipped you can buy it just to see if you like the shape/ergonomics without springing for the expensive but higher quality Spyderco.

Besides, you can always give Spyderco credit for the upsides and blame shoddy manufacturing for the downsides :P
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Hey! I though that Spyderco are bringing the Poliwog back in G-10.
Supa-sweet.
dialex

Post by dialex »

:mad: :mad: :mad:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

wow.... do they think they will get away with it? i mean all of the people that do this.. i hope they don't :mad:
War is mostly waiting.
Praxis

Post by Praxis »

jimmyh wrote:Haven't you guys heard the saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"?
Hardly, it's design rip-off 101 as far as I am concerned. How much R&D money and effort did Spyderco invest in perfecting the Poliwog design? Now some other company is stealing the design and trying to pass-off a cheaper product. I'm sure they aren't paying Spyderco any royalties for the design or trademarked features such as the Spyder-hole.

Do what you want, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. :mad:
v8r

Post by v8r »

I agree with Praxis on this one.I'm willing to bet that no royalties are being paid.You also have to consider if you or your company designed a product and put the R and D into it,that it might make you angry when a almost exact copy such as this hits the market.The eighth commandement says "thall shall not steal".True words to live by, and I consider this stealing. ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I have personally seen two of these knives. They both came extremely gritty and dull, and both had some noticeable side to side play.

After some cleaning (and slight modification by one owner), the knives are serviceable and smoother, but they still seem like cheap knives, even though they feel more solid than most. They seem extremely under par when compared next to a real Poli, but then again, I'm amazed by the Poliwog every time I borrow it from my coworker. :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

That does it! I have been wavering on getting a SS Poliwog for ages, but now I'm definitely getting one to thumb my nose at all these cheap *** rip off thieving greed pigs who steal Spyderco designs. :mad:
JCMED

Post by JCMED »

dialex wrote: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Praxis wrote:Hardly, it's design rip-off 101 as far as I am concerned. How much R&D money and effort did Spyderco invest in perfecting the Poliwog design? Now some other company is stealing the design and trying to pass-off a cheaper product. I'm sure they aren't paying Spyderco any royalties for the design or trademarked features such as the Spyder-hole.

Do what you want, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. :mad:
Wanabee's are just that. I'm with both of ya'll. If the knives are purchased.. then support is given to the wrong side. Kinda makes you wonder which side some folks are on. The side that stands behind product, gives impeccable quality, and provides awesome service or the side that rips off the cool design, cares less about the people they sell to, and has no remorse for being just plain thieves. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Just Remember, Using while stupid may cause serious bodily injury!:eek:

Current :spyder: Wish List... Pacific Salt (black), Resilience, Persian, PPT, Super Leaf, + anything in 3v or 9cr... and the list goes on and on!:rolleyes:
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

jimmyh wrote:Haven't you guys heard the saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"?

It isn't trying to pass off as a genuine Spyderco, just copying a neat design that Spyderco came up with. ****, the polywog is discontinued, so if you wanted one you'd have to pay $150 to snag one off ebay.

I actually bought one, and it's better made than you'd think. There is zero blade play in either direction while maintaining sufficiently low opening friction. It is nice and thin (thinner than my leek) as well.

The edge came obtuse and dull, but after fixing that problem, it will at least take an edge. I haven't played with it enough to judge edge retention/stability but don't have high expectations.

It's not like its actually competing with spyderco for market share. I certainly wouldn't have paid 150 bucks for 'the real deal', and at six bucks shipped you can buy it just to see if you like the shape/ergonomics without springing for the expensive but higher quality Spyderco.

Besides, you can always give Spyderco credit for the upsides and blame shoddy manufacturing for the downsides :P
You can play devil's advocate all you want, but you know, I know, and everyone else here knows that stealing is wrong. If you DON'T think stealing is wrong, well, that's just sad.
GG

Post by GG »

So they are actually trying to rip off TWO companies - Spyderco's design and CRKT's name. As Sal I'm sure well knows, stopping the flow of these copies is practically impossible, all we can do is NOT buy them. Sadly, enough uninformed folks WILL buy them to keep them in business... :(
gg
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Not CRKT but something else.....try: (ShuangRong) SR Columbia...Doc :eek:
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

dialex wrote: :mad: :mad: :mad:
+1, agree w/ dialex
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jimmy,

What they are doing is illegal and unethical.

Many people justify their indiscretions. "I stole that because........etc."

It doesn 't make it right. My son, Eric spent hundreds of hours developing, refining and producing that design. Spyderco has spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in Intellectual property.

I was taught not to steal. I am an American. It is the way I was raised.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

sal
TimmyBoston

Post by TimmyBoston »

Hopefully this production and sale can halted with a lawsuit.
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

sal wrote:hi jimmy,

what they are doing is illegal and unethical.

Many people justify their indiscretions. "i stole that because........etc."

it doesn 't make it right. My son, eric spent hundreds of hours developing, refining and producing that design. Spyderco has spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in intellectual property.

I was taught not to steal. I am an american. It is the way i was raised.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

Sal
+1 :)
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

CombatGrappler wrote: If you DON'T think stealing is wrong, well, that's just sad.
Not so much sad as it is typical Chinese business practice... :(