Have a problem here..

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
spyderHS08

Have a problem here..

Post by spyderHS08 »

Im not sure if you guys can help me out..but ill see if you can.
I have a friend that lives here in KS and yes we all know butterfly knives are outlawed here. anyways Its a spyderco and he ruined the tip when it got dropped. I really dont even know how he got the knife but thats beside the point. Can we send it in to spyderco and have them fix it for the fee or a regrind of a tip, I think its like $20? Or will they not help us out since its from a KS address and end up keeping his knife if he sent it in? or send it back and not even fix it? :confused:

Thanks!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only someone from Spyderco can say for sure, but I'm inclined to think, based on what Kristi posted in the rules of this forum, and on what's been said in other threads, that unless your friend is active duty military or a LEO, and able to provide the necessary supporting documentation, he's SOL. Spyderco would not able to return the knife and would be legally obligated to seize it. In fact, if it's a Spyderfly or original Szabofly (as opposed to the new version) he'd be SOL regardless, since they're the knives Spyderco got in trouble over and are all considered contraband.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Paul, could you please elaborate on those "contraband" knives? I buy knives on eBay and on Forums and I do not want to get into some kind of trouble...
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Any restricted model returned for Warranty or Repair service must be accompanied by the proper form verifying the owner as a legally qualified owner. Otherwise, the knife cannot be repaired or returned.

http://spyderco.com/downloads/Restricte ... rnForm.pdf

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

The Deacon wrote:Only someone from Spyderco can say for sure, but I'm inclined to think, based on what Kristi posted in the rules of this forum, and on what's been said in other threads, that unless your friend is active duty military or a LEO, and able to provide the necessary supporting documentation, he's SOL. Spyderco would not able to return the knife and would be legally obligated to seize it. In fact, if it's a Spyderfly or original Szabofly (as opposed to the new version) he'd be SOL regardless, since they're the knives Spyderco got in trouble over and are all considered contraband.
Actually, if he is a LEO or military, he could have the original models. For example, I have a few. Spyderco sent me a letter (since I do my purchases directly from Spyderco and they knew I had some of the newly "restricted" items) and asked that I fill out the attached form. The form stated that I was LEO (yes, proof is required and not just a statement), and sending this form out or attempting to collect the knives that were in circulation and owned by non-LEOs or military personnel was a requirement to be in compliance with the terms of Spyderco's settlement of their court case. Several persons who had purchased Spyderflys or Szaboflys from me (LEOs in my agency) were not sent the letter, because Spyderco did not have their names. I encouraged some of the guys who I was still in contact with to contact Spyderco and provide Spyderco with a signed form, just to help Spyderco comply with their settlement agreement. Many LEOs and military personnel who bought these items were probably not contacted, did not fill out the paperwork, but are still legally able to own the knives. Spyderco did the best effort, "in good faith," to obtain all of the illegally owned knives or get the proper paperwork filled out by the LEOs and military people who had some of these knives. ICE, the U.S. District Court, and Spyderco all knew that getting all of the knives "accounted for" was not going to happen. A legitimate "best effort" was sufficient as per the settlement agreement. So, there are some legally owned first generation 'flys out there--including mine.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

What makes those early "flys" illegal and how do you recognize them?
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

alright thank you all, and kristi, I appreciate it.
But unfortunately I guess this means he is s.o.l., lol (I could really care less :p ) but I feel bad and Im going to have to try and find someone around here I know that can do this..
anyways,
thanks again!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
KaliGman

'Flys

Post by KaliGman »

LorenzoL wrote:What makes those early "flys" illegal and how do you recognize them?
This thread explains the legality (or lack thereof) regarding purchase and ownership of Spyderco automatic and "butterfly/balisong" knives:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33326

This is U.S. law, so, if you do not reside in the United States, depending on the laws of the nation in which you reside, you may be able to legally own 'flys and autos.

As for recognizing the illegal ones--well, in the U.S., unless you are a law enforcment officer or in the military, it is easy---anything that is an auto or a 'fly and has "Spyderco" written on it is illegal for you to own. In fact, any auto or balisong, regardless of the manufacturer, which is shipped in interstate commerce may be illegal for you to own and may be targeted for investigation, depending on the ruling in the Federal Circuit in which you reside. If you want to get into how to recognize the "old versus new", the original Szabofly and Spyderfly varients were made in Japan and the blades were VG-10. If I recall correctly, the VG-10 was dropped for a time (I think switched to 440C) and then the court case came down and no more overseas manufacture was allowed. The current 'flys are all made in the United States and the blades are CM-154.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Good thing I live in Florida. However, I thought that some states made distinctions between autos and butterflies...