Hi. Not a ghost. Just a broke guy.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
uhiforgot

Hi. Not a ghost. Just a broke guy.

Post by uhiforgot »

Hello, alls,

I know it’s been a while since dropping a line here, but I’m just gonna’ make a long story short. And you can thank and email notification from the forums about a Doctor, um... Snubnose (?) ;) for drawing my attention back here :D

My debt has grown out of control. At one point it topped out near $17,000 and given my income that was far more than could be managed on a month to month basis. I have taken a second job at a language school teaching English and mathematics to ESL students. While this job has been the most fulfilling work I’ve done in my whole life, it has also allowed me to blast away sizeable chunks of debt each month and now my credit card is down into the $13,000 range. But this was not done with a second job alone.

I have had to stop buying knives, kitchen gadgets (thankfully I picked up a super-discounted Foodsaver just before coming to that realization), and other non-necessary toys to keep the debt from increasing. Just a few days ago I had to resist the urge to buy a Woodlander I found with massive discounts down to $130, and at the same time had to pry myself away from the $40 Swick. ****, my heart tried to beat its way out of my chest just thinking about NOT buying those things for such GREAT prices! But that’s when I REALLY realized that I had [have] a problem, and a serious one at that. I’ve always known I was fiscally irresponsible, but it’s never hit-home like it did the other day.

It is for that reason alone that I have not been frequenting the forums, and will not be until the magical number reaches ZERO. Indeed my knifebrothers and knifesisters are always good company and I’ve missed you all, but youn’s offer-up a great deal of temptation to spend money, and there comes a time in a guy’s life when he’s got to take control of his financial future. Despite all that, dropping off the face of the Earth without any notice was really messed-up (aye, there’s other far more appropriate and colorful choice words to describe that, but we’re still in Sal’s livingroom ;) )But…

Starting today I will allow myself one week of indulgences in the evening to hang out here and catch up on things because I really do miss everybody… the lurking, the discussions, the rants, the quickly extinguished sparks of martial arts debates, the inside info on new toys *SMACK* BAD JEFF, NO TOYS… er, I mean the thrill of seeing new models for the first time, the occasional perhaps obscure references to naked aardvarks, banana hammocks, Elmer Fudd and other Looney Toons, etc.

Come time to sign off on Saturday, though, signing back on or even so much as lurking will not be an option for me until my debt is completely paid.

It feels good to be back even for a short time, and I look forward to catching up and getting to know everybody new.

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Jeff! You've been missed. Sounds like you are doing what is best for you, so keep doing it. This place will still be around when you've reached your goal. ;)

Great to hear from you!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Jeff, compulsions can be so difficult to deal with; I'm talking from experience. I feel for you, bro', and if you need anything, just holler. I'll offer whatever help I can. Great to see you!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

I gotta give you a big +1 for having the self control to not buy a Woodlander for $130! :eek: Seriously, I wish all of America could exercise just half of your self control, Jeff. Good job!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Hang in there Jeff ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Not bad thinking. I will say my collections of things was smaller before the internet era.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Hey bro, been there, done that, and it's not easy reigning in the spending to get things in check. BUT, you will be much happier when you hit that number $0! Stay disciplined and keep on track - being credit-card-debt free is an awesome feeling!

Anyway, good to see you back round these parts and enjoy your (quick) vacation in Spydieland! :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi Jeff,

Great to hear from you again. Was wondering where you had been. Your self control is really inspiring. I'm going through something similar, not credit card debt though.

I keep telling myself I don't really need that extra knife etc.... BUT..... my control is not as strong as yours :)

Hope you reach your goals soon. However it does sound like your teaching job is fulfilling in so many ways. Keep it up , teaching others to communicate is a very noble job indeed.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

don't worry about checking out for awhile...get your finances under control and then come back and play. don't forget that line they use "Just because you are on a diet, it doesn't mean you can't look at the menu." :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Jimd wrote:Jeff, compulsions can be so difficult to deal with; I'm talking from experience. I feel for you, bro', and if you need anything, just holler. I'll offer whatever help I can. Great to see you!
Thanks a million, Jim! One of the hardest things I'm having to learn here is to depend on others for help. Stubbornness has gotten in the way of that for a long time, but if you've been in my shoes before I'd be glad to soak up any advice you got!
SimpleIsGood229 wrote:I gotta give you a big +1 for having the self control to not buy a Woodlander for $130! :eek: Seriously, I wish all of America could exercise just half of your self control, Jeff. Good job!
That kind of encouragement is worth its weight in gold right now; thanks SIG!
datan wrote:Hi Jeff,

Great to hear from you again. Was wondering where you had been. Your self control is really inspiring. I'm going through something similar, not credit card debt though.

I keep telling myself I don't really need that extra knife etc.... BUT..... my control is not as strong as yours :)

Hope you reach your goals soon. However it does sound like your teaching job is fulfilling in so many ways. Keep it up , teaching others to communicate is a very noble job indeed.
Thanks, Datan. I wish my so-called "self-control" were stronger so as not only to be an inspiration, but to set a good example... and that, Goodsir, is a long ways off :o Nonetheless, I'm sure you have more strength than you know... just realize that as with any strenuous exercise you're definitely gonna feel the burn, and it's gonna make you sore afterward (so try not to think about it too much) :( ;)
tonydahose wrote:don't worry about checking out for awhile...get your finances under control and then come back and play. don't forget that line they use "Just because you are on a diet, it doesn't mean you can't look at the menu." :D
OOOOOooooh, I assure you, I've never been good at diets of ANY kind, and the menu has a way of toying with my mind.
TazKristi wrote:Jeff! You've been missed. Sounds like you are doing what is best for you, so keep doing it. This place will still be around when you've reached your goal. ;)

Great to hear from you!

Kristi
I have no doubt about the longevity of Spyderco and the forums, but I'll be looking forward to the moment that the number reaches zero so I can 1) cut up my credit card, and 2) buy a new knife with my DEBIT card :p :D Seriously, though, it's actually thanks to you and everyone on this forum that I've not only found a great bunch of people and and a great knives, but been able to do a lot of learning and "growing-up." ;) Thank you, Kristi!

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
butch

Post by butch »

im with you on the no spending thing
since taking up knife making i have had to put aside many toys and fun stuff
how bout i race you to 0$ credit owed
i think right now im like 8k in but im sure i make less then you as health has not been letting me get full days in the shop
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

butch wrote:im with you on the no spending thing
since taking up knife making i have had to put aside many toys and fun stuff
how bout i race you to 0$ credit owed
i think right now im like 8k in but im sure i make less then you as health has not been letting me get full days in the shop
Don't know if I'd win or not, but a little healthy competition never hurt anybody, eh? :cool: You're on!

I don't know what about your health kept you out of the shop, but you're in my prayers for your health to improve soon!

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I treat my credit card like a debit card, usually running a small credit on it rather that debt. Only got a credit card to make it easier to buy online and get the points for using my money.

But I'd be willing to enter the race with my student loan that's at 12k (currently looks like 3years to have it paid off).

Paying for a custom at the end of the month and waiting for a new cell to get to Deacon and then here so I can drop my cell bill to about 30% (new carrier and pay as you go). Other than a hard case for my 7" laptop and bidding on another "for parts" laptop that needs a reinstall (for my sister this time), I shouldn't have any new bills coming.

No new knives other than the g-10 'fly and ti millie this year (if/when they come out), should be done with major computer purchases now, and I've just about quit drinking entirely. Should be able to put a good chunk on my student loan now.

How about we all chuck something in the pot and the first one to produce a 0 balance gets it? Of course the ones that only have a month or two of debt don't get to play though ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Jeff, sorry to hear about your problems. Those credit cards are some diabolic traps, today you are ok and suddently tommorrow you reach the bottom line...
Good luck with the austerity budget...
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.