Dog SD

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Shenmue728

Dog SD

Post by Shenmue728 »

This came up in a thread awhile back. Someone meationed defending oneself against loose dogs at some point and that got me thinking. The weather is getting nicer and the tweakers down the street got 2 pitbulls. They are often left tied in front of their house in the spring and summer and have already bitten and chased some kids on the block. The police were called and have come out but the dogs (and tweaks) are still there.

When (not if) one of these or any other large dogs are chasing you or postering agressivly when your just try to get to your **** car :mad: :mad: what are the major do's and don'ts? And what if you have a dog with you? I often walk my girlfriends pug after dark and sometimes the pitbulls are still out. She's small enough to pick up but i know these larger breeds can jump pretty high. Any advice would be helpful.

P.S.-- In any domestic animal attack I NEVER blame the animal or breed. Any dog can be dangerous if negelcted or abused by its owner.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

I don't know the laws in California but I'd carry pepper spray, at a minimum if I had to pass near those dogs. Do the dogs bark and disturb neighbors. Does the law allow them to keep them in the front yard like that...I guess it's okay since the police have already been there. If the dogs appear to have been mistreated, the AICPA may have interest in "relocating" them to a better environment where they don't threaten others.

How about a home owners' association? Might they be able to exert some influence?

Deed restrictions?

I'd sure hate to live near dogs like that.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Move to a state where you can carry pistol :D - alternate would be a big can of pepper spray
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

5lbs sledge hammer to the skull or jaw?
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

pepper spray works good with dogs...cause their olfactory senses are right up front....prob best alternative to shooting em....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

I would think bear spray would be quite effective, plus it's more PC and so forth than mace or pepper spray (even though it's pretty much the same dang thing).
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I always cringe at these threads. For some reason I'd lose more sleep over doing what I had to with the dogs than the tweakers using these magnificent breed of dogs for their evil ends. Not real PC on my part, admittedly, but it's true. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
markg

Post by markg »

Pepper spray is your first and best option. Shooting a dog is never your first course of action and will require a lot of explaining. I was watching the news when in FL a year ago, and a guy shot a dog that attacked him and his dog. The news was "all over it" and the police took his gun, questioned him, and charges could have been pending (and he was a CCW holder).

A good stick is always a plus. Keep in mind, our primitive ancestor used sticks and spears to fend off and kill large animals long before other means were available.

In a former life ;) I used to be one of those folks who got chased by dogs for fun. Sport and police dogs, I would suit up and get bit. Just some tips and observations.

Never underestimate the speed and power of a dog.

Dog bites hurt like crap and don't always heal well (infection).

Knowing "why" a dog is attacking is important. Is it out of fear, defending its territory? etc... Reading the body language of a dog is an art, and it can help you at times.

Learn what to do that makes you less threatening to the dog. Slow movements, backing away slowly, not making eye contact, etc.

DO NOT RUN AWAY!!! This is a sign of weakness and triggers the prey instinct of a dog.

If you have no choice, and the dog attacks. Do not go to the ground (dogs in the wild will bring down large prey by attacking their legs then going for the face and throat on the ground). Give it something to bite, a coat, a stick, if nothing else, an arm. At this point use the pepper spray, stick a stick in the dogs mouth or throat, eyes, etc.

Now, you have to worry about other dogs. Keep in mind dogs hunt and fight in groups. Now things are not going well for you.

Sadly, children are at greatest risk. They are smaller and often are doing things that put them at risk of attack (bike riding, running, etc). I would makes sure if you have children to not have them around the house in question.

Saving a smaller dog from attack is difficult, when you pick up the dog, it makes your more vunerable, and is just not a good sitation. Avoidance is the best option at this point.

Honestly, if I know there are dogs of questionable character and owners of even worst repute... I would simply find another route to walk and not have to worry about it.
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

The Mastiff wrote:I always cringe at these threads. For some reason I'd lose more sleep over doing what I had to with the dogs than the tweakers using these magnificent breed of dogs for their evil ends. Not real PC on my part, admittedly, but it's true. Joe
I agree. Pitbulls are some of the most gentle dogs out there and would naturally only fight to protect its owner, but they have been trained to hate and have been demonized by the media.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

When my father was in the Air Force during the Korean War he served for a while where there were a number of wild dogs. He said that they were instructed to let the dog bite the left forearm (encased in a thick leather jacket), then jam the snout hard with the right palm while pushing down with the left arm to break the dog's jaw. I'd hate to try that with a pit bull.

We have some pretty bold coyotes and I worry about my two terriers. Pepper spray sounds ideal if you have it at the right time. I might see about making a walking stick with a pepper (bear) spray compartment.

Since everyone here is presumably carrying a knife, I'm surprised the use of a knife didn't come up, a least once you're being bitten.