Anyone here own any Beckers?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
araneae

Anyone here own any Beckers?

Post by araneae »

I have been eyeballing some of the Beckers. Seem like no nonsense tools. In particular the Necker and Campanion. What say ye forumites? How do they compare to similar knives, say some of the RAT knives?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

I used to have a BK7 (a big version of companion) . Overkill for me so I sold it. This is what i remember:
-thick wide blade
-simple design, felt durable
-handle was average. decent shape but no texture, could get slippery
-good value

so...its not a fancy knife and would probably benefit from wrapping the handle with something. Compared to higher end heavy duty knives it is less ergonomic and uses inferior materials, but I bet just as durable in "normal" use (normal for this type of knife: prying, chopping, etc).

The becker is a good place to start if you are trying out big thick knives. Performance will be nearly the same as more expensive alternatives AFAIK.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I've got a BK9 (few years old, when they were made by Camillus) that I use for taking down branches, saplings and vines. It works well and holds a good edge. I chipped a small part of the edge once when I nicked a rock but other than that it's held up great, even when I've had to twist it out of deep cuts or hard wood. Been easy to bring back to a good level of sharpness with a small fine diamond stick. The handle is comfortable but can move around a bit under repeated swings. Tacky gloves could counteract that, as could putting some kind of groove or pattern in the surface of the slabs. All in all I've been very happy with its performance and good value for money.
~ Nate
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

I have the CU/7. I replaced the scales with canvas Micarta available from Camilus when they were still a going concern.

It's a solid, durable piece.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Have a new kabar made bk7, didn't use it extensively but seems pretty good quality. Only complain is about the handle as previously mentioned, it's quite smooth, and whatever plastic they used seems brittle (tap on it with fingernail and it makes clink clink sound, like when you tap on glass).
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

I also have a BK9. It has been a handy little, light-duty chopper around the farm. As carbon steel, it is vulnerable to rust.

I quite like the GV6H handle. I find it is quite comfortable in the hand.
EarthDog
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Both are fine brands.

I prefer the RAT stuff.
Marion David Poff
araneae

Post by araneae »

Thanks for the comments. Anyone else with one feel free to chime in.
-Nick

RLR

Post by RLR »

Just got a BK11 (Necker) and LOVE IT!!! Holy Schnickies it's a hot little piece. I've always wanted one but never pulled the trigger. Glad I did:

Thick, tough, comfortable and now super sharp (I put a convex mirror edge on it since this picture). I've used it to break down cardboard, cut a walking stick, open a beer :cool: and other miscellaneous stuff. I carry it in pocket mostly. For the price, can't be beat (but I don't have an Izula yet ;) )

tea

Post by tea »

I have a Crewman and a Necker.

The Crewman is a great knife if you like something big, heavy, and bomb proof. I've done some outdoor work with it- Clearing land, chopping at stuff, and gardening. Honestly, for me, it's to clunky to really be taken anywhere. "Sharp pry bar" comes to mind. Originally I planned it to be my hiking and camping fixed blade. It was quickly replaced by an F1. Don't get me wrong though. I would never sell the Crewman. It is very well made and very well thought out. Also, the blade coating (at least on the Camillus Models) really holds up well.

The Necker is also a great little knife. Easily fits the description: "Little big knife." It can cut and pry all day long. I would love to put some scales on it, but haven't gotten around to it. Personally, the bottle cap opener annoys me. One of the big reasons the knife now sits in its box is because of the bottle opener- Digs into my palm with heavy extended use. If I could get around to putting scales on it (and thereby covering the bottle opener) it would be a perfect knife.

I had a Campanion. Sold it. Just a more clunky version of the Crewman. Although I preferred the blade profile. I regret selling it. Mostly because of the collector issue. It was an older model.

Overall, I would highly recommend them if they fit your needs. They are quality knives- Assuming that KaBar is offering a similar finish as Camillus did.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Thanks. The pictures are appreciated.
-Nick