collectors - how important is the box ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
97knives

collectors - how important is the box ?

Post by 97knives »

just wondering what your thoughts are on having the correct box with the knife from a collectors standpoint
"his whole family is all rats - he would've grown up to be a rat"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, it's definitely a plus if the knife has the proper box or pouch, but not a deal breaker if it does not have one. I know there are those who will not even consider a kinfe which does not have one. Funny part is, even fresh out of a store, a knife which was on display can be paired up with the wrong box.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Oh it's a factor to have the box with the knife

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh I consider the box to be an important part of collecting Spyderco knives or any other knives for that matter. Actually I collect the boxes themselves when people don't want them or otherwise are going to discard them.

I have a big box of older Spyderco boxes I've aquired over the years. But the collector Spyders I have I also have the box to go with most of them.

Now if it's a super rare Spyder like a Titanium Peter Herbst or a Cranberry Chinese Lum then the box is really not that big of a deal. Because if you snag a Spyder of that collector status it's not going to make a great deal of difference.

Most of the C-12 Spyderco Civilian models I've had didn't even have boxes. They came in a Spyderco zipper pouch. I've also had Spyders that came in white boxes that either didn't have any print on them or very little print like the PE Harpy I had about a year ago.

But they do help. Some models more than others obviously. Hope that helps.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

You gotta have the box! :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The Lil' Temp I bought yesterday came sans box. The gentleman working behind the counter said many people looked at it & declined to purchase it because it had no box. For me personally, yes I would rather have the box, but if it doesn't have it (as in this particular case) it won't stop me from buying it.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

No box, I don't buy!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Its not a deal breaker for me but helps a lot.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

All depends,
If I am looking for a user, box doesn't matter.
As for a safe queen, I would buy without box, only if it is supersteal.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MCM

Post by MCM »

Its nice, but I really don't care.

Its the knife I want, I can always get box's behind the grocery store.......

Collector wise, its a big deal.
But If I have searched for a mint, hard to find example I care way more about the knife than the box......... ;)

Plus, I am storing about 200 empty box's in my closet. The knifes are kept in a better spot than a paper box. Actually its a pain storing all those box's. More of a pain than the knifes......
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Since all of my knives are users and I really dont plan to sell, idc if they have the box. but any time I buy a knife I like for it to come with the correct box. The only knife I have w/o its box i just bought last week, was my delica 4, but I got a great deal on it and it was brand new and since it will be my hard user and edc I know ill never sell it or need a box to store it in because it will always be in my rotation or truck! :)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

As a collector, the correct box can usually give me a lot of information. And that's why i prefer knives with boxes. I do have a few without, but i'm always looking to change those out with boxed ones. As a serious collector, one of the things i appreciate the most is knives who come as they came from the factory, with all paperwork etc. and in correct box. (I even have a couple knives only for their boxes...) And like JD i have a box full of old boxes sans knives which belongs to my users or which have been given to me by others.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I give all my boxes to Fairlane :D

Think I got a couple I forgot to give you the last time ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The "problem" for those who cherish having the box is that, in most cases, there's no actual "provenance" to prove the box belongs to the knife. Shops make mistakes. Granted, most of those are obvious, lke as SE knife in a PE box or visa-versa, but some are not. Collectors can also make mistakes, especially those who display, rather than store, their knives. Unless one tags each knife, and each box, pairing them back up can become a guessing game at best. Beyond that, not all scrupulously honest, some may buy multiples of a knife from varisous sources, keep the best knife and the best box for themself and sell the rest. Needless to say, the best box did not always hold the best knife. Even numbered knives are not always a guarantee, since, until fairly recently, CC#s were normally added to the box's label with a pen, rather than being printed on it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Box doesn't guarantee authenticity

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:The "problem" for those who cherish having the box is that, in most cases, there's no actual "provenance" to prove the box belongs to the knife. Shops make mistakes. Granted, most of those are obvious, lke as SE knife in a PE box or visa-versa, but some are not. Collectors can also make mistakes, especially those who display, rather than store, their knives. Unless one tags each knife, and each box, pairing them back up can become a guessing game at best. Beyond that, not all scrupulously honest, some may buy multiples of a knife from varisous sources, keep the best knife and the best box for themself and sell the rest. Needless to say, the best box did not always hold the best knife. Even numbered knives are not always a guarantee, since, until fairly recently, CC#s were normally added to the box's label with a pen, rather than being printed on it.
I agree with Deacon's point. Because he is right that the box doesn't necessarily confirm the authenticity of any particular model of knife ( Spyderco or any other brand). I've even had the box actually throw me a curve ball on a couple of models. One of the last Lil Temperance model folders I had was really strange. On the box it just had the word "Temperance" on the end of the box. That was very confusing because the Temperance model is a fixed blade and not a folder. I've often wondered why they didn't print "Lil Temperance" on the box :confused:

I've also gotten plain edged Spyderco knives from dealers that came in a yellow labeled box which normally indicates either a serrrated or combo edged model. Deacon and I often disagree but he's right on the money on this box issue. Although I do like the boxes myself but whether or not the knife has a box or not would not disuade me from buying it. If someone sold me a Cranberry Chinese Lum I could care less if it had a box or not. And like the one brother said "if it's a user then the box is of no importance to me at all".
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I would prefer to have a box with any knife that I buy but it's not a deal breaker for me. Luckily I have not had to face that issue but a handful of times. I own about 25 Spyderco's and only 3 have been purchased without the box. I have a Blackhawk and 2 SS combo edged Natives. All the rest have their boxes.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Box is important to me if a collector piece. If not for my own sanity :) then for future trading or sale. If you look at any auction or forum sites where knives are traded or sold, you will note that ones that are NIB are worth a bit more than ones with no box.

For users it doesn't really matter to me that much. Though my users still have their boxes stored in my cupboard in the top shelf just in case I need to gift the knife or sell it LNIB etc...(I don't use my knives hard - except for my Salt I which I really abuse :p )
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Manix Guy 2

Not a must have

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I only have one Spyderco without a box , a Q . I would buy a mint knife without a box any day , I do keep every box I purchase . Regards MG2
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

I definitely prefer the knife with a box. It simply makes selling the knife much easier when you get tired of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Current Spydie Count 21
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

I prefer to have the box with the knife. I do believe that if and when I sell a knife that it is a good selling point to have the box with the knife.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
fret

Post by fret »

The box is important for resale. People want the box but most toss the box away the day they get the knife. I like to have the box to keep the knife in. :spyder: