What's your reason to carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tacticaltommy

What's your reason to carry?

Post by tacticaltommy »

I carry a military as my EDC in the side of my pocket. It is visible and many people notice it and sometimes ask me why I carry it. Personally, I carry it to open envelopes, cut rope, or heaven forbid, protect myself. When I tell people that I use it for letter opening, boxes, rope, etc but sometimes they look at me like I'm lying and that I'm looking for trouble or something. It is of legal length in my state and I am old enough to carry it. I guess it just bugs me that people are sometimes weird about me carrying a knife. What do you guys tell people when they ask?
-Tom
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Thats why I prefer in the pocket Spydies. Spyderco clipit and clipit knives in general, are very visible to people. Knives clipped to the pocket is very much in the public conciousness. I feel anyone should be able to legally carry their knives anyway they want, but I find too many people can tell you're carrying a knife when it's clipped to your pocket. And at work I really can't carry a knife clipped to my pocket. But to answer your question, I carry for the same reason...opening mail, boxes and self defense if I had to.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

i just tell people "if i ever need it, i have it" open anything, and also if i need to perhaps defend myself it is there. better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

i carry either a delica or UKPK. and i've heard "why do you carry such a big knife?"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

To cut stuff.

Pretty simple explanation really.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

pretty much everything but self defense. Just everyday chores. I've also carry a little Micra for years for things that come up, and when i don't want to draw attention to a "knife" in my pocket.
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

I live in Texas. Its one of those "you're not a man if you don't ... " things.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

It's to the point now where if I leave home without a knife of some kind on my person, I feel incomplete, like something's missing.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

Jay_Ev wrote:It's to the point now where if I leave home without a knife of some kind on my person, I feel incomplete, like something's missing.
Yes, it feels like you are not wear underpants, I mean it is doable but feel uncomfortable for not having them on you :p
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

aebfroman wrote:I live in Texas. Its one of those "you're not a man if you don't ... " things.
Man, I want to move to Texas! :D
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

LowTEC wrote:Yes, it feels like you are not wear underpants, I mean it is doable but feel uncomfortable for not having them on you :p
I have even come to the point where I feel naked if I don't have both my Endura 4 and Dragonfly in pocket.
tigerose123

Post by tigerose123 »

I just tell people I carry my Military for when the zombies come. That gets me alot more weird looks than just carrying a big knife around.
TxR

FRN Endura PE
SS Cricket SE
FRN Delica SE
FRN Native PE
SS Harpy SE
G10 Caly3 SE 089
G10 Barong PE
G10 Military PE:spyder:
FRN Jester PE:spyder:
52100 Mule Team PE 122
SS Dragonfly PE
White FRN Dragonfly PE
Grey FRN Endura Wave PE
MOP/Abalone Kiwi PE:spyder:

EDC: Kiwi, Military, Jester

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE:
dc50

Post by dc50 »

I tell them I received my first pocket knife, on my 6th birthday,been carrying one ever since..
If they ask why? I reply, because... :p
dc
.Chris.

Post by .Chris. »

Knives are kinda looked down on where I live. If anybody asks me why I have it I never say self-defence (even though that's what it may be used for even though odds are it won't). I always say something like opening boxes, letters, packages and for emergencies where I may need to cut a seatbelt, or my favorite "to peel apples...I dunno wtf they spray on them down wherever they came from, so I choose not to eat the skin." I've even trimmed my nails with my delica. There's always a use.
.Chris.

Post by .Chris. »

tigerose123 wrote:I just tell people I carry my Military for when the zombies come. That gets me alot more weird looks than just carrying a big knife around.
dc50 wrote:I tell them I received my first pocket knife, on my 6th birthday,been carrying one ever since..
If they ask why? I reply, because... :p
Those two are pretty good lol.
Manix Guy 2

My business

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I carry to cut , anything that needs it . MG2
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

let's see...

oil spill emergency response (got called out yesterday... called out again for tomorrow)... which involves cutting all sorts of stuff
daily fishing 7 months out of the year
hiking
sasquatch research expeditions
berry picking
hunting
cutting open boxes of new equipment and stuff for the recording studio
subsistence food
food prep
preparing fruits and vegetables for the juicer
mushroom picking (soon!)
emergency self defense
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

To cut things.

I work on cars, so no one says anything about it. I'm surrounded with dangerous equipment and tools. Most people think it's cool then they show me some dull peice of crap knife like it has any comparison. Everyone likes the emerson wave endura.

I generally end up feeling sorry for them and give their knives a go on the sharpmaker.
tkdman41

Post by tkdman41 »

I have never had anyone even question my pocket clip. Then again most people I'm around have more than knives concealed.
Endura ZDP-189 CE | Endura Wave CE | Salt 1 PE | Centofante 3 PE | Tenacious PE | Tenacious SE | MT02 Second | MT03 | JD Smith | Caly 3 ZDP-189 CF | Bill Moran | Military | Tasman PE | Stretch 2 CF | Endura | Delica | Dragon Fly
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

No one has ever asked me, but if they do I'm using the Zombie excuse.

Although, in all seriousness, a baseball bat would be more effective on Zombies.
tkdman41

Post by tkdman41 »

Sequimite wrote:Although, in all seriousness, a baseball bat would be more effective on Zombies.
I just bought an RTAK 2 for zombies. I feel that zombie weapons still need a good edge on them.
Endura ZDP-189 CE | Endura Wave CE | Salt 1 PE | Centofante 3 PE | Tenacious PE | Tenacious SE | MT02 Second | MT03 | JD Smith | Caly 3 ZDP-189 CF | Bill Moran | Military | Tasman PE | Stretch 2 CF | Endura | Delica | Dragon Fly