Mule Team: S90V or ZDP-189?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
catamount

Mule Team: S90V or ZDP-189?

Post by catamount »

I've got a 52100 Mule Team, and am thinking of getting one in a "super steel" to trick out with nice scales and a sheath. Should I get the S90V, or wait for ZDP-189?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

I've heard some say that S90V has even better wear resistance than ZDP.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I had been trying to decide which to get as well. After much contemplation I decided, both!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

I've got a friend whom I've turned on to the premium steels and I think I may pass on the ZDP while we both have S90V to use. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.
WTC #1455
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

From what I gather, ZDP is a finer-grained steel than S90V. yablanowitz would be a prime candidate to confirm this, though.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

S90V is probably your best all around EDC steel right now (unless you pick up one of those S110V Shallots from Kershaw, who has an exclusive contract on that steel for the time being).

ZDP-189 is almost as wear resistant, but it's not as corrosion resistant. The advantage is the extra hardness. It's not often you come across steel hardened to Rc 65. If you want to give your knife a super thin edge, that's what ZDP-189 is for.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

For what I do, I prefer S90V. ZDP is a little easier to sharpen, but doesn't hold an edge as well for me. I think ZDP does take a finer edge, though.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Does being brittle concern anyone about some of these supersteels? Has anyone chipped or broken s90v or zdp from an impact. I have put an s90v mule in my cart a couple times on the home page but I am just not sure and end up aborting! :D

Speaking of the Kershaw supersteels I picked up one of the Limited edition Junkyard dog Ti models in SG2 steel 2 weeks ago. Sharpest out of the box production blade I have ever seen, will be interesting to see how it performs. Back on topic I did not mean to change the subject!!!! :D