Prototype report with photos from the IWA show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Prototype report with photos from the IWA show

Post by Mr Blonde »

Besides making videos at the IWA show in Nuremberg, Germany, I was also given the opportunity by the Spydercrew to bring my lightbox and photocamera to take some photos for all the online Spyderknuts. The next few days I'll be posting more pics and some background info on the various models.

Chicago
The Chicago is a gent's folder with an under 2 inch blade, carbon fiber handle and a liner lock. The wire clip is set up for left and right-handed carry. I don't quite remember the bladesteel, but I believe it was VG-10. The overall construction and blade design is very similar to the Sage and IIRC it will be made by the same maker as the Sage. Although similar in size and role as the Kopa series, the Chicago is very much a lightweight folder. It should make a nice folder for the office, where there are restrictions on bladesize. I also know there's a group of knife afi's that just really likes 'regular' linerlock folders, that are very quick to open and close. The Chicago should be right up their ally.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Cat

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Cat is a bigger folder than the Chicago, the blade is around 2,5 inches. All other design features are similar to the Chicago: liner lock, left/right clip, linerlock, carbon fiber handle, leaf blade shape. Together with the Sage, the Cat and Chicago form a family of lightweight gent�s folders, at least that is my impression. With the various blade sizes, you can pick the right knife for your needs or (restricted) environment.

Mr Blonde

G10 Dragonfly

Post by Mr Blonde »

The G10 Dragonfly has all the features of the regular SS model: VG-10 blade, lockback, leaf shape blade etc... The final production version clip is not shown, but it will be the left/right wireclip that we've seen on quite a few spydies so far, it will probably be the same design clip as the UKPK or Urban models. Since the clip will make this little knife a true left-handed design, I'll be sure to get one as soon as they come out. That small arrow-shaped blade is beautiful and very practical.

Wouter
catamount

Post by catamount »

If the Chicago is made by the Taiwanese maker of the Sage, it will most likely not be VG-10. S30V?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

i notice theres no jimping on the prototype dfly. will there be jimping on the production version?

thanks for the pictures Wouter! simply beautiful. the Cat looks brilliant. .. [currently trying to strengthen right hand to be ambidextrous.. hahaha :D ]
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

tomoto wrote:i notice theres no jimping on the prototype dfly. will there be jimping on the production version?

thanks for the pictures Wouter! simply beautiful. the Cat looks brilliant. .. [currently trying to strengthen right hand to be ambidextrous.. hahaha :D ]
I noted that as well. Most likely a current production blade in the proto as a mock up.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the videos are really awesome, but i for one prefer the pictures... largely because of my slowish alaskan internet.

thanks so very much for providing us with hours of drooling and staring!!!! :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Photos are missing :confused:
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
hickster

Post by hickster »

clovisc wrote:the videos are really awesome, but i for one prefer the pictures... largely because of my slowish alaskan internet.
Speak for yourself, southerner! :D ;) My cable modem works fine. The great thing about the Anchorage Bowl is it's only about an hour away from Alaska. :rolleyes: :p

Anyway...
The Chicago and Cat look great. I'm one of those liner lock guys. If they are made to the same quality as my Walker Sage, they'll be super nice. That Taiwanese manufacturer knows what they are doing! I hope they use the same "twill" carbon fiber as the Sage. Hopefully, Sal will ship some more S30V over to them to work with. I'm not interested in the Chinese steels (until they come up with something that is significantly superior in some way to premium American or Japanese offerings).
hickster
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Thx for the pics Wouter! I'll tune in for more later. :)
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Excellent job as always, Mr. Wouter. Although small knives don't interest me a whole lot --being a Texan and all :p -- I am a bit drawn to that G-10 D'fly.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Great photos Wouter, but where did the CAT come from? :eek: ;)

As soon as I think I've got my (extensive) shopping list for 2009 another one pops up!!! :D

Regards,

BRIAN
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

araneae wrote:I noted that as well. Most likely a current production blade in the proto as a mock up.
hhaha yea i think so too. i remember hearing that jimping would be on the production model. i guess i'm just picky with my protos? :p hahah

can't wait!

seeing as how my local shop will stock the salt ladybug around june.. hopefully some of the other will be released then! fingers crossed ** for a Dfly and Manix2 summer release! (although i have no real basis for that assumption, more like a dream :D )
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Love the G10 D'fly.

If it only comes in Foliage Green I'm gonna have to pass and just have someone make me a custom G10 Dfly in Black G10 like the one that Tricod has. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Azad

Post by Azad »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:Excellent job as always, Mr. Wouter. Although small knives don't interest me a whole lot --being a Texan and all :p -- I am a bit drawn to that G-10 D'fly.
Is it true that everything is bigger in Texas? :)
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Chokwe, Leafstorm, ZDP Stretch FRN are calling my name.

AHHHHHHHH

EXPENSIVE HOBBIES!!!

And I plan on buying a new RC Helicopter when I get done this term. :D
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Thanks for the pics and videos, there are so many nice new blades this year its gonna be tough to choose and stay within budget! Did the rumored Ti Military framelock prototype make an appearance? Of all the upcoming blades we have heard about, that is the one I am most looking forward to! Well that and about 10 others! :D
brj

Post by brj »

great pics, as always, Wouter
could you please throw in some Chokwe pics?? :)
Gibsoniam

Siblings!

Post by Gibsoniam »

The Sage has been on my maybe list for awhile, but with thd smaller siblings Chicago and Cat on their way, the Sage moved to must.

A CF family is irresistable. :D
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
Mr Blonde

Chokwe

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Chokwe is a large folder, with a blade in the 4 inch range. The folder features a G10 slab and on the clipside a handle slab from titanium with a Reeve Integral Lock. The clip is set up for right-hand carry only. The blade is made from S30V steel and tapers to a very sharp tip. The holes you see are not necessarily meant to be the divot hole we all know and like on the Temperance and Li'l Temperance, or the ATR etc... The holes are intended to lighten the knife and enhance grip. It handles very light and easy. Its thin profile makes it very easy (and tempting) to just stick it in my pocket and forget it's there. It reminds me of an art-deco version of the Police.

Forum member Clovisc encountered this design during his work for the Peace Corps in Zambia. There he saw the Chokwe fixed blade, that is used for everything from waging war to preparing meals. He had one made for Sal and the rest is history. The original custom made Chokwe is pictured below, next to the Spyderco version.