Orange Dodo sprint! Please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Sithus1966 wrote:What you get from KC eventually is this:

"Thank you for your order. The item you ordered is a new item that has not yet been released. We will ship your order as soon as the item arrives in our warehouse. You will not be charged until the order ships."
Just hope that no one gets the one they send after that.
Hello,

We regret to inform you that is SP81CFP2 now unavailable. We attempted to find this item for you, however, it is discontinued and no longer available. We apologize that it was still listed on our website.
So I had ordered the knife on pre-order on November 11th. I kept getting updates saying that they were waiting for the arrival of my back ordered items and would ship them all once they arrived.

Then on January 12th I get the big I'm sorry. I put my order in with them for the CF and Tan Paramilitary. I asked them after they sent the email telling me I would not be able to get the CF if I would receive the tan one. They could not even confirm that for me.

I was very very lucky to find a CF with Jim and Howes knives. I bought the CF and also bought the tan one from him because I figured KC would flake on the tan one too.

As it turned out KC came through with the tan one after I had already bought one from Howes. I did what I felt was the right thing and paid for it again through KC. I made a promise to them when I pre-ordered and figured it was only the right thing to do although they did not do the same for me by putting that knife up for pre-sale long after they could not honor their obligation.

I seriously hope that everyone that pre-orders the dodo for KC will get theirs. They lost a customer with me and I will never spend another penny with them.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Yea, instead if Pre-Order they should call it the knife lottery.
Bluntrauma wrote:Just hope that no one gets the one they send after that.

So I had ordered the knife on pre-order on November 11th. I kept getting updates saying that they were waiting for the arrival of my back ordered items and would ship them all once they arrived.

Then on January 12th I get the big I'm sorry. I put my order in with them for the CF and Tan Paramilitary. I asked them after they sent the email telling me I would not be able to get the CF if I would receive the tan one. They could not even confirm that for me.

I was very very lucky to find a CF with Jim and Howes knives. I bought the CF and also bought the tan one from him because I figured KC would flake on the tan one too.

As it turned out KC came through with the tan one after I had already bought one from Howes. I did what I felt was the right thing and paid for it again through KC. I made a promise to them when I pre-ordered and figured it was only the right thing to do although they did not do the same for me by putting that knife up for pre-sale long after they could not honor their obligation.

I seriously hope that everyone that pre-orders the dodo for KC will get theirs. They lost a customer with me and I will never spend another penny with them.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I cant believe this is finally happening!! Cant wait cant wait! :D so glad i started this thread, now to hope at least one of my two dealers with pre orders comes through! Hope we all get what we want! Good luck everyone lol
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

Maybe I missed it, but how many are being made? Hopefully a couple thousand...? Anything less than 1000 probably means that will have to be scouting ebay to get one. :(
".........I've been called an "enemy of the planet" for not living within walking distance of where I work and shop - by a guy with six kids! Needless to say he was a bit upset when I suggested he walk home and drown four or five of them."

-The Deacon
syphen

Post by syphen »

I finally managed to get a Blue Dodo, nib, from the secondary market. Im in love with this design. It has made start to lust after this upcoming sprint even more!!! What a great little knife. Im curious why Spyderco has gone away from these non-caged locks. I like it more then the Manix 2's lock.
Too many Spydies to list!
Nemonomicon

Post by Nemonomicon »

Eric Glesser wrote:The orange is still a few months out. We’re planning plain edge on both Sprints. The second run will be Carbon Fiber but most likely won’t come until late 2012 and will be the same number of pieces. We did update our engineering for better quality and consistency. Some changes included a blind pin to the backspacer for strength and a machined spine as opposed to bead blasted.
Carbon Fiber? Hot ****! It'll go nicely with my two black G-10 Dodo's.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I don't own a Carbon Fiber knife but I'm wondering how much extra cost carbon fiber scales would add to the dodo (approximately)? I'm only asking because I'm planning on only buying one Dodo and I'm wondering how much more the Carbon Fiber one would be.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

syphen wrote:I finally managed to get a Blue Dodo, nib, from the secondary market. Im in love with this design. It has made start to lust after this upcoming sprint even more!!! What a great little knife. Im curious why Spyderco has gone away from these non-caged locks. I like it more then the Manix 2's lock.
Congrats.
+1 on lock. I also found easier to operate ball-lock than caged ball lock. But probably we are in minority. :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
hickster

Post by hickster »

Wonder if that CF model will be with some super steel? ...dare I hope, S90V?
hickster
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

will there be a serrated orange dodo or just plain edge?
In Search of:
Q Knife - Eastern Mountain Sports E.M.S. variation or New York,
Spyderco B03 SzaboFly, Carbon Fiber Civilian SE right/left handed
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Penguin wrote:will there be a serrated orange dodo or just plain edge?
According to Eric's post, plain edge only.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for the info!
jabba359 wrote:According to Eric's post, plain edge only.
In Search of:
Q Knife - Eastern Mountain Sports E.M.S. variation or New York,
Spyderco B03 SzaboFly, Carbon Fiber Civilian SE right/left handed
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Does anyone have an update on where to preorder? I see Knife Center has the option, but I've heard they sometimes can't fulfill orders. Any help is appreciated.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

In the minority? We're the silent majority. The single ball is much easier to disengage than the polymer cage. :P I just wish the Manix2 had bigger balls, er ball. ;)
Arcitecht

Post by Arcitecht »

willydigger wrote:Does anyone have an update on where to preorder? I see Knife Center has the option, but I've heard they sometimes can't fulfill orders. Any help is appreciated.
I'm no veteran with sprint runs, as this is my first spydie preorder, but the other sites like BladeHQ were out of preorders within 2 days of it being up (which is when I sent my preorder at KC).

Now, thing is, I don't know whether all of the Dodos being produced were up for preorder, or if just a certain amount were, and the rest will be first come first serve. This is where a more experienced user would be able to help more.

At any rate, I wouldn't count on KnifeCenter to fulfill your preorder by this time, as its been almost 3 months and the button's still up there.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

That's what I was afraid of. It's too bad it's not in the regular line up. The order is in anyway. If I get it great, otherwise maybe one will fall to me somehow. I don't really need it, it's just orange and funky so I like it.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I pre-ordered 3 from 2 diff. sites just in case. I can see KC not coming through, but not the other one.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Looks like its all finally coming together now..pretty excited about this one
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Seven

Post by Seven »

Im prepared to box up every knife I own and store them if I miss out on one, ive wanted one that long.
______
Eric.