Should I Get A Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tenaciousj

Should I Get A Military?

Post by tenaciousj »

i have recently become fixated with the CF Millie so bear with me if these questions have already been asked and answered. what exactly is the deal with this knife other than looking and feeling really cool, i mean with a name like "Military" i would have to assume that it is a pretty badass pocket knife but what exactly qualifies it as being worthy of the name Military. i know that the paramilitary compression lock is considered MBC rated but if im not mistaken, the Military is not, is this correct and if so why would anyone need the Military if they already had the para? the reason i ask is because i own the para but like i said have become entranced with the Military. also i am unsure of linerlocks as i have had mixed results with them in the past and for some reason even a small amount of vertical play seems fairly spooky with a linerlock. i have handled a Military recently and this particular one did have a small amount of play which is what im concerned about whereas my para is rock solid. all of my spyderco backlocks have at least a tiny amount of vertical play which doesnt bug me too much but i dont know about a linerlock with vertical play? anyway my real question is what does the Military offer that the para doesnt other than a slightly longer blade?

believe me when i say that i would like to be be convinced!
Shike

Post by Shike »

Have 2 Millies, no play whatsoever. Great knife, my favorite after the Sebenza.
A. Stanton

Post by A. Stanton »

Tenacious, look up the Harvard student in Boston who stabbed a street thug to death with a Military a couple years back. Too bad the thug isn't here to tell you that the Military isn't a martial blade.
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Ditto on what Shike said, awesome knife, you won't be disappointed! The only complaint I ever had was when I first got one I thought it was huge! That feeling goes away with a little carry and now I don't see myself carrying anything smaller. I do carry a Sebenza, but most of the time I have a military with me. IMO the carbon fiber versions take the perfect knife one step further, stronger, lighter, better looking and exotic steels.

Never had a problem with a liner lock on any of my knives, Spyderco or other brands. If you are applying force to the right parts of the knife while in use a lock failure shouldn't cut you anyway. I am sure there are exceptions but I feel people play way to much into the "best" lock idea. For the longest time when I was in scouts I carried a kershaw folder with 2 blades and no lock. I was young and naive and did lots of foolish things and it never injured me due to an unexpected close.

Of course if it really bothers you the only real way around it is a fixed blade! :D
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The Military is an excellent choice. Light weight, slim profile that clips nicely into your pant pocket, it balances very well in your hand, and it's built tough.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think it's one of the best designs from Spyderco, and I EDC a Carbon Fiber and BG42 version every day. It's very light and thin for it's size, balances perfectly, is very comfortable, has a nice oversized opening hole and easy to close liner lock, features a very useful blade shape with a good point for piercing materials and is probably the best liner lock I've used.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

remember....as Sal has always stated.....the Military was designed as a secondary tool for service personnel, which maximizes cutting performance; I think Sal said he envisioned it a as an augmentation to a soldier's main fixed blade which does "digging and prying" duty. I'm not saying the Military isn't a very tough efficacious folding knife....I'm saying it's a folding knife with great ergos, designed for superior cutting performance.

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

MY CF BG42 is by *far* one of my favorite daily carries. I highly rec it.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Ive not used one before..only my para, which I love. So assuming its just as good a knife if not better. than yes buy one! lol
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
kukoka

Post by kukoka »

I have a Para and a Military and I am very positive that you should also get both! :)

Here is how I carry them:
- the Para is in the same EDC rotation group as the Caly3, small sebenza, mini Dejavoo - that is, capable 3"-ish blades that I carry on my "single knife" days.
- the Millie is large. Really it is. Therefore, I enjoy carrying it on my "two knife" days when I have the Millie or some other large folder (OK, it's mostly the Millie) in my back pocket and a nice small Case slipjoint in RFP. When mundane daily chores call, even the worst sheeple can cope with a 2" stag handle slipjoint. Then when some real cutting is to be done, the Millie is right there. The Para is simply too small to justify carrying it as your "big" knife, and for that reason alone: yes, you will do yourself a favor by getting the Military.

Bests,
Akos

PS: No blade play on mine.
Billy

Should you get a Military?

Post by Billy »

YES. :) Maybe even two. :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

If You Love The Para, You Will Really Enjoy Owning a Military :)
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Those who know me will attest that I like my LBKs, in particular the Kopa. I also like Persians and Delicas. However, that being said, the Military is my go to knife when I rush out to go bush, for picnic, hikes, etc.

Lightweight long blade hidden in great ergonomic handles, solid linerlock like no other I have witnessed, razor sharp FFG blade that slices like a laser straight out of the box... with further sharpening it can shave the pubes off a gnat :p :D

Handle is large enough to accomodate the largest of hands, whilst smaller hands can still get a very secure grip on it.

Nice long belly for slicing, nice pointy tip for starting tricky cuts :)

Get the Military, you won't regret it. I gave up my Para, not because it wasn't a good blade. I found that my medium sized blade requirements were already met by blades which I consider superior (Caly 3, Delica 4, Mini Persian, Native).
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Very short answer:

Absolutely you should get a Military.

But more importantly....
Its been more than a day
Why don't you have one yet!?!

-Clock :)
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

No, you shouldn't get a Military. You should get several. :D

The story goes that someone asked Sal what knife he would give his son to take into the military, and the Military is the result. It is a liner lock to keep it as light as possible, it has the longest blade allowed by law in many places (and even longer than allowed in some), yet it is tough as nails. It has been torture tested on several occasions and has passed with flying colors. It can easily be operated even with heavy gloves, and has been made with the best steels out there.

When the going gets tough, the S90V/CF Millie comes out of my pocket to deal with it.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Military IS Spyderco. It is a legend.
It is like no other big knife(thin and light). Lots of cutting power with low mass.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Despite of still being happy as a kid with my perfect Para D2/SE, everytime I hold one of my Millies I feel I'm holding SPYDERCO ;)

Still my most favourite Spydie :cool:

Why the heck have I still my D4/SE clipped to my pocket????

"Clip, clip" There you go..... Settled ;) :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

I own 4 Spydercos, and all three of the folders are Millitarys. :p

To me, when someone says "Spyderco" the only thing I think of is the plain edge Military. :) :)
shabbasuraj

Post by shabbasuraj »

tenaciousj wrote:i have recently become fixated with the CF Millie so

just buy it.

and then post pics.