Help Me Choose a New Seki Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mtice

Help Me Choose a New Seki Spydie

Post by mtice »

I am realitvely knew to collecting Spydercos and this forum (which absolutely great by the way). Up to now my colection consists of only Golden Co made Spyderco's of the SV30 steel (my niche passion now). But since only a few of the Spyderco designs are of this variety, I am looking to branch out into the more of the higher end designs witht he VG-10 steel made in Seki. I would appreciate any advice on what I should add first (a must have current production Seki in VG-10). My colleciton thus far contains a Millie PE black blade, Para PE, Mini Manix CE, and hopefully soon to acquire a Lil' Temp PE. I liked these sized knives. Some of the Seki models in curent production I have considered are the Caly3 in G-10, the Civilian (just for the extreme use and design it was made for), and the Captain. Any thoughts?
mtice

Opinions of the Superhawk

Post by mtice »

I think I may have foudn it, the Superhawk. Any opinions from current owners?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's really nothing in the Seki lineup that matches the sheer bulk of the Golden models you mention. But, if you're looking for something from there which is high end without the "gent's knife" look, consider the Stretch II. Quite robust, but in a more compact format that the Golden knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Hello mtice.
it seems to me that you're in the same position I was a few weeks back.
I was looking for a solid, and relatively large Seki folder. I looked into two knives, Khukuri and Barong. I tried them both, and ended up getting a Barong. What a great knife! totaly compares in quality to the Golden Co lineup.
You may also look into the Police 3. It's a little on the thin side, but a great knife non the less.
JD Spydo

Welcome you are among friends

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all "mtice" we extend a warm welcome to the Spyderco.com Forum :)

I can see you and I are friends already because I've always had a preferential liking for GOLDEN Colorado USA Spyders myself. But don't overlook some of the great Seki/Japan made Spyders because there are truly some jewels in that line up.

First of all I highly recommend you to get yourself a Spyderco Hawkbill. Either a Harpy or Tasman model would be perfect to get your feet wet on Spyderco's great Hawkbills. Anything in the Seki-Japan line with VG-10 or ZDP-189 blade steel are certainly keepers needless to say.

This Forum is a valuable resource for gaining the latest information on the best production knives on the planet. If it's got Spyderco's name on it you can be assured of astounding quality. Looking forward to your input on the Forum "mtice". JD :spyder: O
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
araneae

Post by araneae »

A Caly 3 is a great choice. The Stretch 2 would be my choice if I had the money for something "higher end".
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I second the recommendation of a Caly 3, it's an excellent knife.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I would start with the ZDP Lum, Stretch II & Police III.
(In that order, as the Police III is a regular production model and will be easy to get for a while)
Then branch out from there.

Just my 2........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
CTfam

Post by CTfam »

I love the Caly3. It's everything I could ask for in a EDC blade.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Being as the Civilian doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I would consider a more functional Seki model then a showing off model. I own a Civilian and carry it every once in a while, and it is a great knife. But since Spyderco states it isn't an every day use knife, I would get something else to truly see what kind of punishment VG10 can take.

Being that I am looking at getting a Superhawk myself I can not say how well it works until I get my hands on one. I will say that any well designed hawkbill is going to be a great cutter and can out cut a straight edge blade in most cases.

Other knives that I would recommend would be the Police 3 if you like your Millie. I have this knife in SE and I have to say the handle is perfectly designed. I love the length of the blade and feel I can cut anything I need to. The Endura is a classic design and was my first Spyderco. It is an Excellent knife and I trust my life to it more then any other in my collection.

If you want to try out a Hawkbill for the first time the Harpy and Tasman are great models. I have both and carry them constantly.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Shike

Post by Shike »

The Kiwi! IMO the finest made knife in the :spyder: lineup.
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

I just got a stainless steel Endura4 today and boy do I love it. It is even bigger then I though it would be. I have a special place in my heart for all steel knives and this baby really fills it up. I understand why Enduras seem to be the best sellers. I did not know what I was missing until I owned one. If you don't have an Endura yet I think you should get one, they are true beasts.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I pretty impressed with the latest G-10/cf Seki examples. Superhawk, Delica, Endura, Police
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

Superhawk, Stretch II, or Police III.

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

El Tigre wrote:Superhawk, Stretch II, or Police III.

"El Tigre"
What El Tigre said. All 3 are keepers.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser