Can i get that in D2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shenmue728

Can i get that in D2?

Post by Shenmue728 »

Just wondering if D2 steel would be in the line up for any models. Is there any models anyone here would die for in D2 tool steel? If the Kukri had D2 steel..... :rolleyes:
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

A D2 Delica would be sweet, with a flat grind blade of course.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
anson argyris

Post by anson argyris »

Shenmue728 wrote: If the Kukri had D2 steel..... :rolleyes:
What's wrong with VG-10 ? :confused:
BTW, there were Sprintruns of the Military and the Paramilitary with CPM D2.
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

What do you like so much about D2? I have a D2 Para and just like all D2 I have ever tried I am not super happy with it.

I find Bg-42, S30V, VG-10 much better, and ZDP, S90V even better. Not looking for a fight just wondering what you like about it?

I find it does not polish well, and does not get very sharp. I whittle hair with all the others.... but D2 does not get to that level of sharpness for me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The CPMD2 Spydercos I got to try out sharpened very easily for me. My experience is with reduced edge angles and a microbevel though, which makes a big difference when it comes to sharpening. It's the second easiest steel for me to sharpen, with ZDP189 being the easiest. I choose these because they take hair whittling sharp edges with ease due to extremely little burring. With how thin I run my edges the low grindability becomes moot.

I did not use them long enough to gauge edge retention, but others have commented it's about equal to or slightly better than S30V.

Regardless I still chose S30V for my Para because in the summer I sweat considerably, and D2 and I would not get along very well.
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

Vivi wrote:The CPMD2 Spydercos I got to try out sharpened very easily for me. My experience is with reduced edge angles and a microbevel though, which makes a big difference when it comes to sharpening. It's the second easiest steel for me to sharpen, with ZDP189 being the easiest. I choose these because they take hair whittling sharp edges with ease due to extremely little burring. With how thin I run my edges the low grindability becomes moot.

I did not use them long enough to gauge edge retention, but others have commented it's about equal to or slightly better than S30V.

Regardless I still chose S30V for my Para because in the summer I sweat considerably, and D2 and I would not get along very well.
I am a "darksider" too :D

Normaly I run em' lower and lower untill chipping starts to show up then go for a micro bevel. I think we get different results with D2 because I use Spyderco stones after the reprofiling is done. I think you use DMT UF or UUF right?

Maybe it's time to grab a new dia-sharp or three :D

Maybe D2 likes a rough finished edge?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I was wondering if we will see more CPM D2. I like it, and I'm not a great fan of regular, ingot D2.

D2 isn't one that I polish up a great deal. It has a large grain structure and if you use it the way it's made to be used it does pretty well. CPM D2 does better at polishing, and finer edges than regular D2, but it's not in the VG10, ZDP, BG42 class as far as that goes.

For what it is, it's pretty nice. The CPM D2 millies are still pretty quickly snapped up when they become available, and are well thought of.

That, like the BG42 millie was another classic Sal surprise that did very well. He seems to have the touch. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
vivi

Post by vivi »

So-Lo wrote:I am a "darksider" too :D

Normaly I run em' lower and lower untill chipping starts to show up then go for a micro bevel. I think we get different results with D2 because I use Spyderco stones after the reprofiling is done. I think you use DMT UF or UUF right?

Maybe it's time to grab a new dia-sharp or three :D

Maybe D2 likes a rough finished edge?
For a while I used a DMT Fine for all my edges. Lately I've been using a Lanksy fine ceramic triangle stone designed for their guided system. I just hold it in my left hand, knife in the right, and freehand it. I've been meaning to get a Spyderco UF stone for a while now, but it seems I either see a knife I want more, or I need a skateboarding part, or bills are due.... :D

I've heard of many steels liking rough or lower grit edges. While I'm sure characteristics of each steel give it advantages and disadvantages in certain areas, polish being one of them, I've honestly never, ever, ever come across a steel I couldn't get to take a polished*, hair whittling sharp edge. This includes your typical Spyderco stainless steels like VG10, AUS8, 8Cr13MoV, S30V, S60, ZDP189, H1 etc, as well as D2, CPMD2, chinese mystery steels, SAK steel and others. Plus some I see less frequently used, like BG42, 51200 and 1056 I believe my puukko is in.

As far as I my experience leads me to believe, the notion of X steel not being able to take a high polish is simply bad heat treat, under developed sharpening skills or both. If you know of a steel that might change my views I'd like to try sharpening it. :D

*Polished for me is 2000 grit, then stropping if I feel so inclined. Not polished by some peoples standards, so I thought I'd specify.

Also, about UF DMT stones. I haven't tried a full size, but I got a credit card sized UF diamond plate and thought it would make keeping my edges stupid easy. When I tried it, it made my edges duller than after using just the fine. Who knows. I tried it a few more times and the same thing happen. My technique seemed to be okay, but like I said maybe it's because I'm working with such a small stone. If you buy yourself an UF DMT I'd like to hear how it works for you. I'll still try the full size someday, as the fine has worked very well for me.
araneae

Post by araneae »

A D2 Caly Jr would be sweeeet...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

Vivi wrote:As far as I my experience leads me to believe, the notion of X steel not being able to take a high polish is simply bad heat treat, under developed sharpening skills or both.
Yeah I will have to work on that :rolleyes:

Ever seen a reprofiled Strider? :eek:

How about a reprofiled XM, SNG, AND... BG42 Sebenza? :D

How about a custom Soddie?

So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

I'll have to go work on that sharpening thing ;)
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

So-Lo what do you use for sharpening? Your microbevel is so distinct, mine are all more or less rounded and blended in with back bevel.
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

jzmtl wrote:So-Lo what do you use for sharpening? Your microbevel is so distinct, mine are all more or less rounded and blended in with back bevel.
That's a EdgePro edge polished up to 7000. :cool:

That caly3 is a fun little knife. One day I will have to post all the fun I have had with ZDP. Hammers, edgepros, tarpaper, prybar...

Not to high jack the OP's thread. I would truly like to know what the fuss is over D2? CPM D2 is a little better than regular D2 but still not great IMHO.

I am going to back off on the polish and see what happens. All the people that love D2 can't be wrong or think a dull knife by my standards is sharp by their standards. Must be something I'm doing wrong or I just don't get IT for some reason.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

So-Lo wrote:That's a EdgePro edge polished up to 7000. :cool:
It looks great, gotta get me one of those, reprofile with it must be a whole lot easier than with a diamond benchstone (I do it to all my knives too, heh).

I've used CPM D2 but honestly didn't notice much difference between it and say vg10, but then again I don't polish my edge (only go up to 1500 grit) so that may have something to do with it. Other people's tests show it holds edge longer than vg10 but I touch up mine often enough to not find out.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I take D2 up to about 1200 grit.I've used it as low as 800 grit before ( ingot D2, not the CPM) Some steels I take up to 8,000 or higher ( diamond powder), so I consider 1000, to 1200 fairly low. So Lo, you are looking really good in the sharpening department. Mine don't look nearly as precise and professional, but they do cut.

I guess sharpness, and what is considered "high" , and "low" grit are subjective things. As long as they work. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

Diamond powder... 8000 :eek:

I gottsta get me some of dat :D
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

I LOVE CPMD2 myself. My Para D2 is my EDC most of the time. I like the fact CMPD2 is easier to sharpen than ZDP, yet hold a significantly longer time than VG10. I did reprofile mine to 25" inc. and it doesn't chip, roll or burr. Once you get a 1"x32" and some 10000+ diamond paste, polishing ANY steel is just minutes away; to make my polishing work worth while, the more wear resistance steel the better :cool:

Note: CPMD2/ZDP does rust pretty quickly if you leave them in water for couple hours :D . On the other hand, CPM S30V doesn't really rust even when coated with lemon juice for hours
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
vivi

Post by vivi »

So-Lo wrote:I'll have to go work on that sharpening thing ;)
Pfft, you're obviously not aware that S30V is a coarse steel and like's a toothy, "working" edge. :rolleyes: :D

Sorry if I came off as implying you can't sharpen, I know very well that isn't true. It's just at my time at BF, among other silly things, I've heard people say pretty much every steel out there not in the 400 series likes a coarse, toothy, working edge. Every single steel I've sharpened has worked just fine with a polished edge (Polished being subjective somewhat, as we've pointed out). That's all.

Besides, even if a steel does like a coarse, toothy edge, there's no reason it can't whittle hair too. I just reprofiled my friends endura 4 last night, and used the same stone I reprofiled it with to apply the microbevel (DMT xx coarse) and tested it on my arm. Caught hairs above the surface.

If you'd like I could temporarily trade you my D2 Queen folder for one of your CPMD2 knives and we could sharpen them to our standards then trade back?
PSU

Post by PSU »

So-Lo, could you please give me some details on that custom soddie from post #10? Maker, materials, etc.

Thanks!
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:I will respectfully share my opinion on D2 :) I used to have a "knife" w/D2, and w/o giving it's maker away, I wasn't pleased with it at all, so I sold it. Then I heard Spyderco came out with D2 from the legendary Crucible crew on their Legendary Millie & Para, so I told myself I would eventualy pull the triger on the Para, and when I got mine in the mail, I LOVED it, and have been carrying it ever since :) As far as cpm's D2, I'm impressed with it; It's easy to sharpen, holds a Hair Poppin Edge, and IMO, is comparable to S30V-I would'nt say it out performs, but it impressed me! I would love to see a Caly3, or UKPK in CPM-D2 :cool:
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!