Orange Rescue Info?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderwings

Orange Rescue Info?

Post by Spyderwings »

Hi guys. I just picked up a 93mm Rescue today with orange FRN and ATS-55. Not sure if I'm going to keep it yet as I have a black VG-10 93mm already, but the store was going out of business so it was quite discounted. I haven't been able to find much info on this piece. i know it has been discontinued for a little while (2006 ish?). Anything I find on orange Rescues is on the new 79mm version that can still be found. Any thoughts on this piece? How much did they sell for when new?

- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
anson argyris

Post by anson argyris »

Spyderwings wrote: I just picked up a 93mm Rescue today with orange FRN and ATS-55. i know it has been discontinued for a little while (2006 ish?).
If it's really ATS-55, it must be older. AFAIk, there were four generations of the Rescue model:
1. with integral FRN clip and AUS-8 , handles in black , yellow and some other colors
2. with steel clip and ATS-55 , handles in black and orange
3. with steel clip, VG-10 and sort of a cutout at the spine of the blade, handles in black, blue and orange
4. same, just with a straight spine,handles in black and blue
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

This is some of them.

Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ATS-55 steel would put it somewhere before 2003, IIRC. Barrel bolt clip means 2000 or later. Over the life of the C14, orange has been one of the two most common colors, the other being black. Believe MSRP would have been in the $65 - $70 range at that time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Thanks for the info guys. And Anson, yes it is ATS-55. This knife has been in their display case for as long as I can remember. The only other Spydercos they had was a Byrd Cara Cara. (that sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense...but I think you get the jist). I could tell that it had been handled a bit as the frn was dirty in a few places. Some hot water and paper towel took care of that in a matter of seconds though. And it definitely hasn't been used to cut anything, as I know that good factory sharpness quite well.

By the way, sweet pic Zen. Although you appear to be missing this particular version :p
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but if i may ask, what purpose does the cutout int the handle scale serve?
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
JD Spydo

Stainless Rescue is the Grand model

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always been a fan of the Rescue model. My favorite one out of the ATS-55 era is the stainless handled version which is one of my all time favorite HARD USE Spyders. I was always perplexed why the stainless Rescue model had very little success in the sales charts :confused:

The Rescue model from what I've been told is an economical off-shoot of the old Original MARINER model ( the one I cut my Spyder Teeth on :D ).

Zen that's interesting you show those models with the dip in the blade. I'm truly ashamed to say that I never really knew the real reason for that particular blade design. I'm sure it has some functional advantage to it but I'm not sure what the lowdown is on it.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Nice score. That was my first Rescue model!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
anson argyris

Post by anson argyris »

thebestnoobcake wrote:sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but if i may ask, what purpose does the cutout int the handle scale serve?
'We removed a crescent shaped portion of the spine that acts as a positioning spot for index finger control over the blade's tip.'

Quoted from the Spyderco Catalog 2003
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since he spoke of the cutout being in the handle, I think he was referring to the drying vent on the early Rescues, which was, as the name implies, intended to allow more air to circulate and dry the blade if it got wet. It was also possibly intended to make even more obvious the Rescue's connection to the Mariner.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!