Sharpmaker - Bumps on fine rods

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shaper

Sharpmaker - Bumps on fine rods

Post by Shaper »

After reading all the rave reviews about the Sharpmaker, I finally ordered one last week. About 5 seconds after it was delivered I was all set up on my table watching Sal's instructions.
However, I immediately noticed there are 4 protruding bumps on one of the fine white stones. I tried to wash it, then grind them off with my fingernail thinking it was just something stuck to it. I then tried rubbing the other fine rod against it - all to no avail. It seems this is a defect in the stone itself.
I've searched the internet high and low, and only found 2-3 posts mentioning this problem, and no help. I've contacted the seller, but have yet to hear back from him.

What do you :spyder: nuts recommend I do? Any helpful tricks other than just always using the same side that with no bumps?
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

That's simple - send it back to the dealer and get a replacement.

A rod with bumps is defective and unseless - period....

Where did you get it from?

Dennis
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you're located in the US, you can either contact the dealer you purchased it from and return it to themr, or contact Spyderco's Warranty & Repair Dept and send it back to them. Outside the US, the dealer is probably the fastest and least expensive option.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
imatyssik

Post by imatyssik »

Have the same problem but since I have only one and only on one side I just avoid using that specific side.
fredswartz

Bump

Post by fredswartz »

My Sharpmaker had only one dent on one rod and I have learned to live with it. The dent on my sharpmaker rod was on the medium stone.
gandalfe

Post by gandalfe »

They are just like any shapening stone, and can be filed ,put back to round,.Consider it maintenance.I use a diamond file to take any bumps out or smooth the abrasions.Don't be too fussy on Spyderco's :spyder: products, because the have to be made for a price point, and the more precision, the more cost.My Duckfoot sharpener came with a WOW in it and I just bent it straight.No big deal. :D