Air Rifles: I want to know more

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Air Rifles: I want to know more

Post by JD Spydo »

It's been a few years since I had my last pellet or BB gun but I have very fond memories going back to my youth. I used to have a .177 cal pellet rifle that also shot BBs and it was great for small game, frogs, snakes and many other things a guy can encounter in the woods.

Recently I have been looking at some of the newer pellet and BB guns that they have on the market and as I understand it they now have stuff that is almost equivalent to .22 cal short ammo. I've heard that some of the newer air rifles are so accurate that they literally have olympic grade shooting matches for them.

The reason I bring all of this up is because one brother spoke of air rifles as part of a survival package on the Survival thread I have going here at this time. I've been away from air rifles for so long and I would like to know more about the modern high performance models as well as some old classics like Benjamin, Crossman and a few others.

Let's talk about Air Rifles and Pistols. I want to know more
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JaM

Post by JaM »

If you can buy them over there, get a Weirauch. Those are nice and accurate, and give good value for money.

I've sold mine recently though, I dint have the time AND place for it anymore.

They are quite accurate in both .177 (4.5 mm) and .22 (5.5 mm).
I'll see if I can find some links...

edit: maybe this is somthing for you... http://www.airgun-hunting.co.uk/
I visited a good forum when I had one, but it's in Dutch. So I guess it's not really that helpful...

There's a lot of info for them out there. And they are easy to maintain, relative cheap, and lightweight enough to carry along with a load of bullets/pellets. So, in a survival-situation they might come handy.

then again, we over here cant get the rifles you can in the US (well, they are harder to get a permit for or to have them in your house even). Airrifles are a good option then..,.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I'm a member of the Canadian Airgun Forum I may have been the one that mentioned the airguns in the survival thread. I personally don't have a rifle, but I have a Baikal IZH-46M target pistol. I've hear less then good things about Benjamin rifles, apparently they used to be good but now aren't. I've never had one or even handled one, just rumors I've heard. Weirauch is supposed to be the top of the line for airguns from what I've heard. Many of the PCP (Precharge Puenmatic) guns will get close to a 22 short of performance, but they are super expensive usually. A break barrel is more affordable and good ones come close in performance to PCP guns. Most pistols are C02 and ment for playing around, unless you get a target pistol, they are very accurate and usually single pump or PCP.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

Hey JD, good thread. I love Airguns :)

Here is my Weirauch HW97k. Very accurate, and smooth trigger! I can hit coins constantly at 50 yards. Mind you, it did get a custom kit in it with new seals, springs and stuff.

This is my Webbley and Scott Hurricane, also a very nice little pistol.

Tom
Crowbar1

Air Rifle

Post by Crowbar1 »

I have a Beeman 22 cal that has been very good.
JD Spydo

Old Scotish Air Rifle with the Daisy name

Post by JD Spydo »

FLYBYU44 wrote:I'm a member of the Canadian Airgun Forum I may have been the one that mentioned the airguns in the survival thread. I personally don't have a rifle, but I have a Baikal IZH-46M target pistol. ..... A break barrel is more affordable and good ones come close in performance to PCP guns. Most pistols are C02 and ment for playing around, unless you get a target pistol, they are very accurate and usually single pump or PCP.
Yes it was your response to my Survival thread that prompted me to put up this discussion ;) The "break barrel" type of rifle may have been what I used to have. The one I had was made in Scotland of all places and was marketed by "Daisy" here in the USA. It was a single shot that the barrel would break ( fold) down and then you could either put a .177 caliber pellet in the barrel or you could stick a BB in the air valve. >> then shut the barrel up and then you were ready to shoot. I can't begin to tell you how many small game animals, frogs, snakes and other targets I would hit. That gun was so accurate that often times I preferred to take it on a hunt rather than one of my .22 cal rifles. It didn't make much noise and the ammunition was very reasonable for a young man with a limited income.

I deeply regret selling that gun. I got some information about it last summer on an airgun Forum but I'll have to look it up because I forgot the URL. But I do remember 2 guys on that Forum that said in spite of the fact that it had bore the Daisy name it was a top notch air rifle that they imported. That gun cost me around $50 in the late 1960's and let me tell you that was a good chunk of change during that time period. But it was a professional grade air rifle for that time period and I miss it dearly and wish I had kept it.

I'm definitely going to get me another air rifle. I would sure like to get one that would shoot pellets and BBs both like that old one did. I wouldn't be opposed to another single shot.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I still have my old crossman 760 from when I was a kid. It no longer has the scope on it but it used to be very accurate. I loved shooting it.
-John
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

My nephew showed up with one so I could sight it in for him. Well, the trigger pull was so hard it was worthless. Obviously, a low budget item. I see some have TWO STAGE pulls.

DON'T GET A CHEEP ONE!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have an RWS air rifle in my closet. Model 24 or 26 I think. I have a peep sight on it and used to shoot it regularly as a kid & teenager. It was pretty accurate, I could hit a Tylenol at 10 yards. I took more birds than I should have with that thing.

My father still has his Model 36 which took a rabbit or 2 out of the garden. He also has a nice recoilless RWS match pistol. There was also a .22 air rifle made by RWS for Winchester I think. Its older than me, but still worked well last time it was fired. RWS made some nice guns, not sure if they still do. Fun memories of those toys... ;)
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Shike

Post by Shike »

Check this beauty. The site has it all.
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model ... el_id=1743
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

FLYBYU44 wrote:I'm a member of the Canadian Airgun Forum I may have been the one that mentioned the airguns in the survival thread. I personally don't have a rifle, but I have a Baikal IZH-46M target pistol. I've hear less then good things about Benjamin rifles, apparently they used to be good but now aren't. I've never had one or even handled one, just rumors I've heard. Weirauch is supposed to be the top of the line for airguns from what I've heard. Many of the PCP (Precharge Puenmatic) guns will get close to a 22 short of performance, but they are super expensive usually. A break barrel is more affordable and good ones come close in performance to PCP guns. Most pistols are C02 and ment for playing around, unless you get a target pistol, they are very accurate and usually single pump or PCP.
Aloha FLYBYU44,

I ALWAYS wanted to get one of these, but was not familiar with the Baikal brand:
http://www.baikalcanada.com/air_rifles_izh61.htm

Your thoughts would be appreciated. ;)
God bless! :)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
JD Spydo

Air Rifles: Good Quality units???

Post by JD Spydo »

Shike wrote:Check this beauty. The site has it all.
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model ... el_id=1743
Hey Shike I'm glad you posted that website for Pyramydair air rifles. I subscribe to a magazine known as "The Backwoodsman" and they had a full page ad on them this past month. I would like to know more about them and I'm wondering what quality their stuff is.

Also if any of you can set me straight on which air rifle or pistol as far as that goes is the highest quality, best unit for the money I sure would like to know that before I go on a shopping spree.

Again I would love to have a high quality air rifle that might have the capability of shooting BBs & pellets both. That older guy I had sure was great and had a lot of versatility. Also if there are any really good magazines, books or publications on the subject I sure would like to know about them as well.

I'm anxious to get back to air rifles. I'm going to check out that company "Pyramydair" and let me know if there are any others worth checking.

Oh by the way >> Nice to see you Mr. Daywalker :) Long time no chat in a while. I've really enjoyed some of your new designs that have hit the open market. Look forward to seeing more of them. JD :spyder: O
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

DAYWALKER wrote:Aloha FLYBYU44,

I ALWAYS wanted to get one of these, but was not familiar with the Baikal brand:
http://www.baikalcanada.com/air_rifles_izh61.htm

Your thoughts would be appreciated. ;)
God bless! :)
Hello sir,

I've looked at this gun a little too, but have never actually handled one in person. People generally seem to like it and it's very accurate. I've heard that the receiver and dovetails on the newer ones are plastic :( Mostly this is a bad thing if you are mounting optics, however if it were me it wouldn't matter since I like open sites. I found THIS great detailed review of it for you. Anyway I love my Baikal pistol, I got it for $250 Canadian and it was still in the box! I guess you could say I stole if for that price. As far as I have been able to tell there isn't any plastic anywhere on it. The trigger on the thing is awesome and the sights are sweet too. Mine came with spare seals and different sight blades for the front and rear sights. If you want a accurate affordable target pistol I don't think there is a better one around.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
robin

Post by robin »

I own a cheap viper express by spanish gamo. Is nothing special, but is pretty fast an accurate. gamo developed also a special reloading multiple bullets cartridge wich works whell for pest controlling. With a few work (powered spring and some polishing inside) it can become extremely fast.
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

For the cost of a good air gun , you could buy a real rifle.
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
Shike

Post by Shike »

JD Spydo wrote:Hey Shike I'm glad you posted that website for Pyramydair air rifles. I subscribe to a magazine known as "The Backwoodsman" and they had a full page ad on them this past month. I would like to know more about them and I'm wondering what quality their stuff is.

Also if any of you can set me straight on which air rifle or pistol as far as that goes is the highest quality, best unit for the money I sure would like to know that before I go on a shopping spree.

Again I would love to have a high quality air rifle that might have the capability of shooting BBs & pellets both. That older guy I had sure was great and had a lot of versatility. Also if there are any really good magazines, books or publications on the subject I sure would like to know about them as well.

I'm anxious to get back to air rifles. I'm going to check out that company "Pyramydair" and let me know if there are any others worth checking.

Oh by the way >> Nice to see you Mr. Daywalker :) Long time no chat in a while. I've really enjoyed some of your new designs that have hit the open market. Look forward to seeing more of them. JD :spyder: O
Top quality for the $? RWS. Shoot bbs and pellets? I think Crossman makes a few of those and fairly inexpensive.
Regards

Shike
Shike

Post by Shike »

wescobts wrote:For the cost of a good air gun , you could buy a real rifle.
That is very true, but then you have to supress it :eek: :D .
With an air rifle you can get rid of pests or target shoot in your yard without bringing the police and with pellets the danger of ricochet is minimized.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would stay away from anything that shoots BB's. Pellets were always the way to go if you want accuracy.
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

I always favored Beeman pellets. Beeman Ram jets were good all arounders. Kodiaks were nice hunting pellets, but you need to have a high velocity gun for them.

At one point Crosman had a premier match pellet where all the pellets came from a single mold. They were good too. Looks like they still have them, but the website doesn't say anything about the single mold deal.

Man I wish I had a basement to shoot in....All this talk is making me nostalgic.
-Nick

bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

PM sent.
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]