Blue Delica 3 in VG-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Blue Delica 3 in VG-10

Post by The Deacon »

Wondering if anyone, especially Sal, knows the story on this one.

Every other one of these I've ever seen was in ATS-55. Seems it would have to be one of two things. Either the run was done during the transition from ATS-55 to VG-10, and some of the last ones got VG-10 blades, or a second batch was made for the Japanese market. Was hoping the box would stettle that, but the one it came in has a homemade label on it, so am fairly sure it's not original. Color is very close to that on the my ATS-55 one, but slightly lighter and brighter. Just different enough that I'm leaning ever so slightly toward the Japanese market theory.

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i sold mine to RIOT, Paul but i cant remember if it had the origianl box or not, i am sure since it is about delicas he will chime in real soon :D

edit..i decided to take a look at my spydie boxes and i found a white one with the following label, i dont know if this helps you or not Paul
C11PBL DELICA BLUE it has a date on it 11/26/01 BB

hey Will i am sure this goes with one of the delicas i have sold to you at some point in time..ill save it for you and send it out in the next shipment :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

The Deacon wrote:Just different enough that I'm leaning ever so slightly toward the Japanese market theory.
Sounds like a plausible theory, Paul.

If there's one thing I've learned from collecting C09 CoPilot varieties, though, it's that just about the time you think you have the timeline chronology all figured out, some piece will come along that blows the whole theory into tiny shreds. It's fun, exhilarating, and frustrating all at the same time!

Best of luck with figuring this one out. Hopefully someone will know.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

tonydahose wrote:i sold mine to RIOT, Paul but i cant remember if it had the origianl box or not, i am sure since it is about delicas he will chime in real soon :D

edit..i decided to take a look at my spydie boxes and i found a white one with the following label, i dont know if this helps you or not Paul
C11PBL DELICA BLUE it has a date on it 11/26/01 BB

hey Will i am sure this goes with one of the delicas i have sold to you at some point in time..ill save it for you and send it out in the next shipment :D

Yo Tony,

Yeah the PE Vg-10 BLue D3 is one of the ones that came from you, then right after that i had to get the ATS-55 one aswell. If you want to keep the box on that one you can, no big deal on this one.

i dont know much behind the back ground of these Deacon, one thing ive learned from you though is that Spyderco likes use up the old stock and sometimes during the transformations youll get some odd ones that arent so common like the rest

samething with my D1 G-2 stainless but with the Fat Clip
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bump, in the hopes Sal might see this and respond.
Paul
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

I have one of these in VG-10 also. IIRC I bought it at the SFO,it was one of the last ones they had on the shelf.

Hope this helps,

Bruceter
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

*bump* :)
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

BTT...I am curious about this one also... :confused:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bruceter wrote:I have one of these in VG-10 also. IIRC I bought it at the SFO,it was one of the last ones they had on the shelf.

Hope this helps,

Bruceter
Yes, that does help. Makes it more certain that the steel changed during the run rather than the VG-10 ones being made later for the Japanese market. Thanks Bruceter.
Paul
tap

Post by tap »

Teds site has it listed as C11PBL VG-10. VG-10 came along well before the D4. What is missing from Teds site is any reference to the D/E 4s.
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tap wrote:Teds site has it listed as C11PBL VG-10. VG-10 came along well before the D4. What is missing from Teds site is any reference to the D/E 4s.
Well aware of that Tap. Know there are plenty of VG-10 Delica III's (FRN Delica with barrel bolt metal clip) out there. But almost all the VG-10 ones are black. On the other hand, almost all the blue ones are ATS-55 and changing steel in the middle of a small run seems odd. However, the boxes for most of the blue ATS-55 ones show build dates in the second half of 2001 which does put them somewhere close to the point of transition. And we all know that, when it comes to Spyderco model changes "odd" is normal.
Paul
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Since Sal has been around the Forum today, perhaps it's a good time for another bump on this thread...
Bluesman0514

delica

Post by Bluesman0514 »

I have two delica's and unfortunately both have the blade tips broken out. These were my favorite two knives and was hoping someone could tell me if the blades can be replaced or am I just out of luck?
tap

Post by tap »

The Deacon wrote: But almost all the VG-10 ones are black. On the other hand, almost all the blue ones are ATS-55 and changing steel in the middle of a small run seems odd. However, the boxes for most of the blue ATS-55 ones show build dates in the second half of 2001 which does put them somewhere close to the point of transition. And we all know that, when it comes to Spyderco model changes "odd" is normal.
So we know that there were a lot more black ones made than blue after the D3 line was switched to VG-10. No real surprise there. And we know that blue was not offered on the D4 until ZDP-189 came along. So either the B/M stores didn't order blue D3s or people didn't demand them or they didn't know that blue ones were "available". Blue died out then a variety of greens were introduced and here we are. None of that helps you figure out how many blue VG-10 D3s were made or how many blue ATS-55 ones were made. It does give us some insight as to why there are not many blue knives sold today.
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tap wrote:It does give us some insight as to why there are not many blue knives sold today.
Oh **** yes.
  • Blue G-10 "BladeForum" Native - "everybody" wanted a G-10 Native - damned few bought them
  • Blue Spyderhawk - another dog
  • Blue Native III - yet another dog
  • Blue Dodo - within a day of it's release, the question on the forum was "when will the black ones be available"
  • Blue Yojimbo - see "Blue Dodo" above - and even now, the black versions of both tend to fetch higher prices.
  • Blue FRN Delica III - my ATS-55 one has a 2001 "build date" and was purchased new from NGK in late 2004 (IIRC they had them on sale) so they didn't exactly fly off the shelves.
One can only imagine the thoughts that go through Sal's head when someone suggests blue. :eek: :D
Paul
sal

Post by sal »

I can't say that I remember. I'll see if I can get some info on this.

sal
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Any luck, Sal??
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Cool knife though! :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
ckyft

Post by ckyft »

How hard are the blue Delica 3's to come by now days? I had a serrated one that I lost in Iraq in 05/06 that my wife had gotten me one year for Christmas. I have been watching the Internet for them, and they don't seem to be easy to find. I have several of the Delica and Endura 4's, but would like to get another blue Delica 3 to add back to my collection of Spyderco knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ckyft wrote:How hard are the blue Delica 3's to come by now days? I had a serrated one that I lost in Iraq in 05/06 that my wife had gotten me one year for Christmas. I have been watching the Internet for them, and they don't seem to be easy to find. I have several of the Delica and Endura 4's, but would like to get another blue Delica 3 to add back to my collection of Spyderco knives.
Like most older Spydercos, they show up occasionally on eBay. The color variants of the Delica 3 usually fetch a premium, but the serrated ones normally sell for less than the plain edge.
Paul